Checking the demographics box

I’ve seen past threads on Asian being at disadvantage in college admissions especially in STEM. What about in case of mixed Asian? I wonder whether it’s better or not to leave blank when applying in that case. Or if it would make no difference. My kids are mixed (Asian mom, white dad) - both are interested in STEM but ironically their STEM genes more likely are from their dad with STEM degree, not Asian mom with liberal arts degree (I say ironically because if penalized for being part Asian/STEM, they got STEM from dad not mom). We live in predominantly white suburban town and they’re closer geographically and emotionally to white side of extended family. They go to a STEM magnet program that is probably 50 percent or more mixed Asian while overall school demographics are largely AA. What do you think? Check both white and Asian?

This partly depends on how they are named.
The common app also asks for names of parents – so you can’t get away from this.
Also, if done well, embracing your heritage could sometimes help.

It’s true that “Asian” will disadvantage a stem applicant at many highly rejective schools. And “White” is neutral so checking that box doesn’t change anything. But there are schools (like the UCs and Caltech) that don’t consider race.

And ultimately, other factors like where you’re applying from, what your kid’s achievements are, etc will weigh more. So focus on that.

When applying to any of the coveted HPYSM and their ilk, being white is very disadvantageous so not sure your kids checking one will help. Many of the sports that places like MIT, Harvard, etc field teams for seem to have a very large percentage of white athletes.

Each applicant to a large extent competes within their demographics sector and after filling spots for athletes there are simply not many spots left.

This

Thanks, I’m not too too worried about it because I don’t think they’ll be competing for ivy/top schools anyway. Just something that occurred to me because I tend to over-analyze.

Neither of them have ethnically identifying names. My first name (as mom) is different but not necessarily identifying any particular ethnicity - at least I don’t think (people do tend to ask where my name is from). I would like to think it should help rather than hurt - if schools are looking for unique perspective, they definitely have that, considering I was the first (only) person in my extended family to marry outside my race (It’s just not done.) And i personally struggled growing up in my culture so I did not raise them the same way. So if I asked them how they identified themselves (I have actually asked my daughter), they’d say they lean white. But it’s hard to completely identify as white when you do look brown.

There’s way too much overthinking going on here.

This is patently untrue, given that the vast majority of college students in the US are Caucasian.

This thread is already headed in the wrong direction, as nearly all threads do as soon as this topic comes up. There is one place to discuss race in college admissions and this thread is not it.

Closing.

1 Like