Chem 109

Students who have taken Chem 109 at Madison- is there a curve at the end? The syllabus says there is no curve but past students have been telling me there is a curve (and that it is more generous than the chem 103/104 curve). Is this true? Do they keep it a secret to get us to try our best?

Check the grade distribution report.

I have and I am unable to find it.

I would not trust previous students’ experiences. Often, professors teaching introductory chemistry change and with them, grading policies.

Found it. Looks like 32% got A’s

Check a few years worth, see if it’s consistent.

Probably the professors who teach 103/104 change/rotate and have a department-specified curve resulting in a uniform % of A grades, etc., across the sections.

Likely that 109 and 109H are the same professors year after year.

I hope you’re not trying to game the system for grades but rather are wondering how the grading is done. The Chemistry department is fantastic and out to teach chemistry. I still get my Badger Chemist every year and they have written about the chemistry teaching the department is a leader in - there’s even a national organization for chemical education. I took 115-116 eons ago. That and 109 are both the kind of course where everyone could get an A if they all learned what is expected, but usually not all do. And I did not say all of the material because my experience was that there was a lot more presented and higher level problem solving so usually top test scores were nowhere near 90 to 100% correct. Made one realize how much there was to know and learn. btw- there was one student in my lab section who was talked to and he changed to an easier course instead of bombing 115. I hope today’s chemistry professors also suggest that to people who overreached.

Different professors do things differently as well. The “curve” bit may involve separating the low scorers from the rest and deciding where to separate the A from the other students. I wouldn’t be surprised if the professor plotted the test scores and chose where to draw the grading points based on the pattern. It can be refreshing to have a tough exam, get a low score and discover it is an A. It is good that professors can stretch their students’ thinking with tough exams. My experience was that one student could be 10 points ahead of the rest of us- and that score was in the low 80’s. Those courses draw the best/brightest students.

Presuming this is a well taught course as it is a desirable one to teach (because the interested/good students take it) and the professors get to go well beyond the usual general chemistry basics.