Chemical Engineering - Alternative Coop Programs?

The site lists two approved options: http://www.che.vt.edu/Files/approved_coop_schedules.pdf

Does anyone have experience in creating a different schedule so to graduate in 4.5 years? Thanks

Are you coming in with advanced standing–i.e., any AP or dual enrollment credits? What about starting in summer academy and then attending during the summer between freshman and sophomore year. My son is looking into the exact same thing–Chemical Engineering and COOPs.

@kooth12‌ I will be entering with 21 credits from AP and dual enrollment. I have a few more, but want to retake the core science classes. Summer academy is not something I would want to do prior to freshman year. Do you know how strict they are about the coop schedule?

I saw that they offered two options. You could try to propose your own option and see if they would do it. Some students work a full six months (i.e., two rotations together) as well as an additional rotation. I know you have to take that 5 credit lab the summer before senior year for chemical engineering. That could be part of the issue. You also will be a semester plus ahead of the traditional student due to your advanced credits, so could you start your coop earlier? These would be great questions to ask of an advisor. Maybe you could talk to one during orientation.

This is just one experience, but my significant other’s brother is in ChemE currently doing a co-op for this spring semester and will be graduating on time. I’m not sure if he will have to take summer classes though. It’s worth asking an advisor, I know he had to work with his prior to leaving for his coop to figure his academic plan out.