Choosing between money, education, and choice

Hi I was admitted to both Uva and Virginia Tech for engineering. I visited Virginia Tech and loved the campus. By this point I had made my decision to go to Tech. But I was waiting for my financial aid package from Uva and ended up getting much more money from Uva and ultimately decided to go there. Now I am having second regrets and recently heard that Virginia Tech extended its deadline to accept admission till May 15th. I want to ask and see what you guys recommend. My reasons for Uva are that it is a great school with a great name, I received much more financial aid…24.5k in scholarships and grants, and I planned on going there when I started high school. For Virginia Tech I enjoy the campus and environment, I have best friends going there but that isn’t the deciding factor, and they have a great engineering school. Also I received 15k in scholarships and grants from Tech for my first year. While those are the factors I want to know if the engineering at Tech is much better than at Uva and worth letting go of the financial aid from Uva? Thank you and sorry for the long question.

While many perceive a difference in emphasis or framing of the engineering studies at these these two schools, I don’t think anyone would say that engineering at either is “much better” than at the other. Or perhaps similar numbers would say that about each school.

It sounds like the bottom line price for you would be within a few thousand dollars of each other. (Caveat: make sure those awards are renewable, not for only the first year!) So in your case, wherever you are happier and more comfortable, you will probably do better. Do you prefer very large or a medium sized student body? Remote location or easy driving distance to major metro areas? A school that is known for engineering or a school that is known for being good for everybody? Is there a specific program or major you like that one offers and the other does not?

Have you tried talking to professors in your prospective department at each school to learn what it would be like there?

From the little information you give, there is no real basis for anyone to say you’d clearly be better off with one than with the other.

virginia tech has not extended the deadline. it is now too late to commit. on a different note, they also will not be using the waiting list according to someone that called.

Sounds like you should go to UVA. Are you OOS?