Christian Groups/Church

<p>What are the Christian groups on campus? Also, is there a church on campus that “everyone” goes to or do kids go out into the community churches?</p>

<p>On a campus this size I would think that there would never be somewhere that “everyone” goes to. My son has enjoyed the RUF group and attends service at a local church. Here’s a link that might be helpful:</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Dean of Students](<a href=“http://dos.ua.edu/campusMinistries.cfm]Student”>http://dos.ua.edu/campusMinistries.cfm)</p>

<p>There are numerous Christian groups on campus. Some of them are: Navigators, Campus Crusade, Young Life, BCM, Wesley Foundation and many others. My daughter is on the college leadership team at a large Baptist church that is just off campus and where almost 1000 students attend the Wednesday night service. She has chosen to put her energy into the church leadership, but has many friends involved in campus ministries. There reallyis something for everyone and numerous opportunities foryour student.</p>

<p>Since this is a public school, there isn’t “one church” that everyone goes to. On the southside of campus, the university has leased land to the various churches and other faiths. </p>

<p>Plus, some kids don’t belong to a faith or aren’t “church goers” and that’s fine, too. </p>

<p>There are places of worship right on campus (or across the street) for Baptists, Catholics, Lutherans, Muslims, Jews, Methodists, etc, etc. </p>

<p>Most of these places of worship have “student centers” for fellowship, etc. </p>

<p>There are also numerous religious groups/clubs on campus.</p>

<p>There are also three churches (not sure the denomination) that are openly proud and accepting of LGBTQ people. I think this says a lot about the heart and open mindedness of UA, sometimes contrary to stereotypical views about the great south. I don’t mean to be the guy that always brings up LGBTQ issues, just really wanted to share something positive. :-D</p>

<p>Our D and several friends visited around on various Sundays until they found where they fit. Of course that will vary from person to person according to one’s faith and what type of service or experience one is seeking. Personally, they have enjoyed attending First Baptist on Tuesday evenings for Bible study groups and Sunday School and worship on Sunday mornings. There are quite a few students there, but perhaps not as many as a few churches located closer to campus. The church is located downtown and the services are on the traditional side which she prefers. She says the older folks in the church have been extremely warm and welcoming. You will find there are services offered around town that vary from contemporary to traditional. If your student is seeking a church home, I hope they find one where they feel welcome. Many of the churches have campus outreach programs to welcome students who seek a church home during the first few weeks of school.</p>

<p>My daughter has become very involved with Navigators on campus. It is a very large student interdenominational Christian group. She has made some wonderful friends and they gave her alot of support as a new student from across the country that knew no one when she arrived.</p>

<p>Having that support in place really does make a difference. I’m glad your daughter found a place where she is comfortable.</p>

<p>My DD has been going to church with the Catholics! They have a Mass on Sunday evenings, which is compatible with the student lifestyle. She says it’s standing room only, so it must be popular. I’ve suggested she try to get her friends to try the Episcopal church on campus, as I believe they also do a Sunday evening service.</p>

<p>My son attends the Episcopal church (Canterbury) on Sunday night…he has attended a few Sunday mornings too. He really enjoys the priest.</p>