***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

Thanks for the support, @GoAskDad. I haven’t shared the news with my S16 yet, he’ll probably be less bummed about it than I am. His lack of concern about stats and other typical on-paper accomplishments is both refreshing and frustrating. @mstomper and I will have to compare notes about how much difference it makes to be above or below the cutoff.

Also will my school be notifying me on Tuesday?

@squishybaby you made it!

@squishybaby - congratulations a 219 in NY counts.

@squishybaby There’s no telling exactly when your school will notify you, but Tuesday is a possibility. If they don’t you can call NMSC and ask for confirmation, but you’ll still need the letter from your school with an access code to move forward.

Thanks @crowlady !

Some schools will wait until 9/9 to notify, if your school doesn’t tell you by then then call NMSC.

If these scores were unofficially released would NMSC still confirm them for me?

No, they will not confirm until 9/9 - the public release date.

@squishybaby. your school may or may not notify you Tuesday. NMSC gives the schools a date on which they can publish a list of Semifinalists (maybe its @ 9/9 this year?), so you should definitely hear from your principal or GC by that date. If you do not, you can call NMSC on that date to receive confirmation of your status. Then you need to contact your GC or principal because they have to print out a letter (or some type of paperwork) and give it to you so that you can start your application to move along to Finalist. Your school will also have paperwork to complete, so you will want to (nicely) check in with your GC to see how it’s going.

Do not miss your application deadline! Do not let your school miss their deadline! I think it’s early October, but the paperwork will tell you. You also have an essay to write, so you’ll want to get started on that asap. It’s not hard to do - it just needs to get done.

There’s a thread that’s equivalent to this one from last year (Class of 2015) and there is a bunch of useful info there. You may want to check it out.

Congratulations!

@Dookster Please also be there for Class of 2017, the guinea pig year for the new PSAT.

Glad to know I barely made the cutoff in PA with a 217. No school confirmation yet.

So, why do they do it this way? Why not just publish the list once they know it?

Congrats to all NMSF! Anyone that has received their letter want to share the essay topic?

Confirmed NMSF in CA with a 224. Super pumped as I was sure I’d be on the bubble!

Congrats to everyone who’s made it so far!

Got my NMSF letter yesterday from my guidance counselor! :slight_smile: Got it with a 231 in New Jersey (the state with the highest cutoff lollll clutch)

Really excited!! Congrats to the other NMSFs and good luck to those still waiting!

Hey I don’t know where to ask this, but there are a lot of PSAT-savvy people here so why not
So somehow on the PSAT my name was wrong (the last two digits of my first name are missing- last name is fine) and so all of my PSAT related paperwork has the wrong name on it and I really want to get it fixed before 9/9
Anyone know the quickest way of doing this or anyone ever had the same problem? (yes I’ve already tried email NMS people)

Have a friend in NJ with 224, did not qualify. So the list seems to be accurate. Fell very sorry for him, and a score >225 is almost unheard of where I live. (I live in PA though).

Honestly getting a score that high should still be recognised as SF, and regardless of percentile, they should make anybody >223 SF regardless. But life is life, and there are many other scholarships available for high achieving students.

I feel terrible for the 224 kids in NJ and DC; any other year, any other state, they would have been fine. Harsh.

I’m late to the discussion, but I called NM on 8/28 (I believe that date is correct. It was the week the letters went out, but before anyone had heard.). The lady assured me the confirming score was 1960 and was calculated by: math+cr+10*(writing mc).