Class of 2016 Nursing Admissions!!

<p>Congrats to speechless and sopranodad! I don’t know about either York or Plattsburgh (MA resident), but I’m sure someone here will have some input…</p>

<p>thanks 5teens</p>

<p>Thank you fiveteens! :)</p>

<p>congrats on the acceptances! Alas I dont know about those programs either! ;(</p>

<p>Ive been accepted to:
Univ of Tenn
Univ of Florida
Univ of Mass - Amherst
Alabama
Auburn
Pitt
Clemson
waiting on udel oos
University of NC said absolutely no to me</p>

<p>deferred from NEU</p>

<p>Im leaning towards FSU direct entry nursing…</p>

<p>Any thoughts on this…</p>

<p>Didnt mean Univ of Florida, meant FSU
still waiting to hear from UF</p>

<p>@hgh do you mind posting your stats? thank!</p>

<p>highschjunior: What state do you live in?</p>

<p>I’ve also gotten into uri with $13,500 a year & umass Lowell with a scholarship (I forget what)</p>

<p>It is almost impossible to get into U of North Carolina Chapel Hill because they reserve 90% of their total spots for in-state students. It might be even worse for nursing.</p>

<p>adding saint anselm to my nursing acceptance list</p>

<p>D got accepted to UNC and St A’s deferred at UVA. she was not upset except it messed up her streak.
question on UNC do you mean that once you are there they take 90 percent IS into nursing? because it is not direct entry I am wondering.</p>

<p>To clarify what I meant for UNC, across the board, they only accept 10% out of state for undergrad. </p>

<p>I simply meant that SOME public universities reserve most of their nursing seats for in-state students, so it might be even worse than 10% out of state for nursing seats, when they are picked. I don’t have any first hand knowledge about UNC’s process.</p>

<p>Well that is a concern for me that we will have to investigate for sure if she goes in that direction thanks!</p>

<p>UNC is not direct entry? If so, I would think your D has so many fine other choices that would be better. Interesting question (what percentage of seats for OOS), but I wouldn’t care to experiment and find out! Congrats, once again, downtoearth!</p>

<p>Hello everyone! Sorry to sort of join randomly here… I just joined the website because of this forum. I was reading, and wanted to get some insight, perhaps?</p>

<p>I’m a senior in high school who initially had no clue what she wanted to do. I applied EA to seven schools (I know… yikes!), but only applied into two nursing programs because it was just an interest at the time. After the EA process, it really started to hit me that nursing was what I wanted to do. As a result, my academics were a bit unprepared…</p>

<p>GPA: 3.73 (weighted), probably has risen since the start of my sr year
SAT: 630 CR 650 M 780 W = 2060
All honors classes (including Calculus), APs are US History, Psychology, Literature, and Physics
Acceptances to 6/7 - Suffolk, UMass Amherst, URI, UTampa, U New Haven, Hofstra U
Waiting on: UConn.</p>

<p>As you can see… the only schools that matter at this point are UConn and Amherst, haha. If I had been more prepared and less afraid of biology because of a bad teacher, I would’ve taken AP Bio, A+P, etc. Regardless… anxiously awaiting UConn, but braced for the harsh reality that it is likely I won’t be admitted.</p>

<p>Not sure but I know the schools I talked to wanted calculus , so that is good. Your gpa and sats are good. others may answer and give your their insights. it might be helpful to call the school and inquire.</p>

<p>The Ivy level schools often are used to seeing that calculus was taken by most students. However I haven’t seen calculus on a list of recommended courses in high school for any nursing schools. They mainly recommend as much science as possible. </p>

<p>I also haven’t seen calculus on the curriculum of any nursing programs. Many nursing schools require statistics as part of their college curriculum, so I think that is a much better use of your time and energy in high school than calculus.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman at Penn in their nursing program. She did not take Calculus in high school. When we went to Georgetown the admissions officer told her her chances of admission were greatly reduced if she did not take calculus but she got into Georgetown Nursing as well as UVA and many others. She did take Bio and AP Bio, Chem and AP Chem as well as A&P in high school. Calculus is not a necessity.</p>

<p>Last year, I read a report from UVa’s nursing school saying they expected a 100% yield from the nursing students they admitted. I didn’t believe that was possible. You’ve proved they didn’t get at least one.</p>

<p>Yes, AP chem or AP bio or a high level anatomy class will look much much better on a transcript than calculus.</p>