Class of 2020- Admission Status

2016-2017 housing application opened up. As @crazierussia said that is a $50 application fee and a $300 deposit. Deposit is refundable before May 1. I am not sure if you can do housing first without the NSC registration but I would try it before you put the $100 down for NSC.

Housing app asks about interest in living learning communities (including the honors dorms) and then asks for first five room and hall preferences. If you are a student, your parent has to electronically sign the agreement.

Accepted; General Engineering: Biomedical
Top 3% Early College High School

Accepted! College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Nutrition major!

@crazierussia Schools get AP scores a week or two before students do so there is a chance you will be able to see them in Howdy by the time you register.

If not, you register for classes based on whether you think you passed or not. You can then change your classes if you guess wrong.

Since you are an engineering student, I will warn you that there is a lot of debate about whether STEM students should accept AP credit for math and sciences or whether you should take them again for a good foundation and an “easy A.” Lots of threads on CC about it and even some advice from engineering college’s website about it. Things like history, government and English seems to be a unanimous “take the credit.”

AP credit is an interesting topic, some majors now do not allow you to guess & sign up for a higher level in certain courses. It is up to the major what is allowed/not allowed/preferred and you will meet by major at NSC- these rules have been changing in recent years, it is a volatile subject. Your best bet is to wait and see what the rules/advice are for your year group, in your major, and preferably while an advisor looks at YOUR file. Do not jump the gun on this one, once you accept an AP credit, you can’t reverse it. The credit stays available for all your years at TAMU - you don’t have to make all the decisions before taking a class at TAMU.

@psywar, TAMU opens only a few seats per class for each NSC. So, for example, say there are 100 seats available for each section of a particular course. For each NSC it may appear that there are only 10 seats available. Once 10 students register for that section, it will appear to be closed, but for the next NSC, 10 more seats will be available.

None of my kids went to an early NSC, and it all worked out. Also, from about a week before classes begin to after the first several days of class, all students can try to change their schedules online. My kids have all switched professors and/or class times during that period. There are always students who drop a course or switch sections, and other students ready to pounce on the dropped course as soon as that seat becomes available.

Any resources out there or pages on Facebook to help find a roommate?

This may not be the best thread but hoping someone has some insight. My daughter just applied from out-of-state to Biomedical Sciences Department. She will be a review candidate because her test scores aren’t high enough. GPA 4.27, Class Rank 3/234, ACT 27 SAT Math 700 SAT Reading 550. We are not applying for financial aid. We did visit campus during Aggieland Saturday and have another visit scheduled for October. Anybody have any similar experience that was accepted or rejected and when did they hear by? Seems like she would have a good chance since her class rank is so high. Not much information about chances when you are out of state though.

The Residence Life Dept. has a “Find A Roommate Program” that’s made available once you’ve submitted your dorm request.

@CollegeMama987 The admission threads from past years might provide some insight on review applicants’ stats that received admission offers. Here is the link for last year’s applicants.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1673415-class-of-2019-admission-status-p1.html

@ItsOVO There is a website called freshman support that provides a roommate matching questionnaire. For some reason, College Confidential isn’t letting me put the link up but just google “freshman support TAMU” and it’ll come up.

There are also a few roommate posting boards on local CS church websites like Central Baptist and Grace Bible Church. Those probably are more for those who are planning on living off campus though.

Review candidates normally do not hear until after Dec 1st (there are the rare exception, usually super close to academic admit), the reason is that you can update your file with better test scores until Dec 1st. Expect something between Dec- Feb. as far as an answer. Looks like your daughter could make the 1300 SAT by concentrating her efforts on CR. Nothing to lose(other than the cost of exam) to give it another try. Review admits are 50% class rank & scores and the other 50% everything else on the application. Instate/ OOS isn’t really a factor, it is difficult for everyone to get in as a review admit (13% get full admission), being in top 2% is to her advantage but, she will also need some standout items on her application & great essays. This school is need blind for admissions, so that is a non- issue. Only your highest scores are looked at, lower scores are just ignored so go ahead & send them directly if she re-takes the tests.

Thank you so much @AGmomx2! She is retaking the ACTs and SATs twice this fall. I know, she is so close to an academic admit that it is painful! Hopefully the fact that she has volunteered quite a bit and has 6 Varsity Sports Letters etc will make a difference. Thanks for the info.

@gettingschooled you guys seem pretty knowledgeable on this whole application crap. So, by the time i finish senior year I am going to have 67 AP credits to a&m as long as i don’t screw this years tests up. Which ones out of these would you suggest not accepting credit for - Chemistry, Physics, Calculus. Can’t wait till this whole thing is over. I still have to decide between a&m and UT!

@crazierussia be careful, read up on this and ask advisors no matter which school you attend -more is NOT always better in this day & age. Congrats on all your success, now use it to your advantage :wink: hint: taking all units may not do that…

I think which AP credits you should take and not take varies by major and which APs you have credit for. I tired sending you the link for the engineering school FAQ on this by PM but not sure you got it. Let’s start another thread and not let this get lost in this one. You’ll get better advice in a separate one.

You’ll want parents and students who have actually been there to answer. I just link to what I can find on the websites until I actually get experience with it.

Ok cool.

I have a question about the Engineering Honors program for Class of 2020. My son was admitted to the University last week as General Engineering (Comp Sci). He is interested in the ACE Scholars program which I understand now is under the umbrella of Engineering Honors. I also understand this is separate from University Honors. Can he just apply to be in EH or does he have to also be part of University Honors? If just EH, when he applies for dorms, he can live anywhere on campus, correct? Is McFadden & Lechner Halls reserved only for University Honors students?

Im also interested in applying to honors. I just dont know if a possible lower GPA will outweigh the positives of being in the program.

He can be in University Honors, Engineering Honors, or both. ACE is a specific honors program within engineering, though, and I don’t know about it specifically. If he is in University Honors, he must live in Honors Housing (Lechner and McFadden). If he is in Engineering Honors, he can live anywhere except, I assume, Honors Housing which is only for University Honors.

@crazierussia, they say the Honors kids have higher GPAs, but of course they have to keep a 3.5 to stay n Honors.

My kids really like their Honors classes and have gotten all As in Honors classes. If you look at MyEdu, pick a course at A&M that has Honors and non-Honors sections (such as Hist 105) and you will see that the grades are much higher in Honors classes.