Class of 2021 National Merit Thread

Then we agree that even the smaller, extra amounts awarded for scholars, as opposed to finalists, especially when they stack, can still be a nice source of extra funds. Every little bit helps.

I think the reason you may be confused is that you misunderstand the reasons the distinction between finalist and scholar awards is being made here. First, there are many who believe the larger university awards are the NMS awards, when they are not. Also, as was mentioned before, there are extra, often stackable, awards for scholars that are not detailed anywhere on university websites. For example, the extra stackable $1k per year at USC, for a total of $4k, is absent from their literature. There was talk on this thread along the lines of turning down the NMSC $2500 award if a scholar award at a university was more than that. However, one poster pointed out that if that happens, USC would not award the extra $1k per year. Another poster suggested her kid might turn down a corporate award because she wanted to make sure her kid got the bigger award(s) at NEU. The bigger awards at NEU are for finalists, and the corporate awards are for scholars, which stack. Turning down a corporate award would have meant losing a good amount of scholarship funds for that family. So, as I said before, the distinction between scholar and finalist awards can sometimes be important.

1 Like

I don’t think people on this thread are concerned about their children being named NMS. Their main objective is to maximize the total merit awards and make sure they don’t make any costly mistake. The NMS process is rather confusing and as @amsunshine mentioned many of the important details are nowhere to be found.

4 Likes

It has been a privilege to read your response. We are disagreeing on semantics at this point. I would advise anyone considering turning down an award to discuss the ramifications with not only NMSC but also with any schools involved. As you mentioned, there may be stacking opportunities. The last thing I would do is make a significant decision of that magnitude based on the privileged information provided on a semi-open forum like this.

As for semantics - it is my understanding that if you receive any funds based on your status as a Finalist, you are a Scholar. I think even the Universities use the terms synonymously. But, I haven’t had the privilege of a direct discussion with either staff at NMSC or a University on the specific definition or differentiation between the two terms. And, that was my point. It really doesn’t matter how you label it or a school labels it. There are funds available to students who achieve the top 1% in the nation on the PSAT in their Junior year. There are then three potential sources of funds, the $2500 award (limited number), the corporate award (also limited) and the university award (like UTD, UCF, ASU and Alabama). In most cases (not all), a student can only accept one of these. Again, before a student declines anything, they should discuss it with NMSC and the University they plan to attend to make sure they are making the best decision.

1 Like

Don’t expect people on this forum to provide facts about what a school will offer or won’t offer. Call the University. They are the best source of accurate information.

The challenge for some of the students and parents right now is they do not have admission decisions from some of their desired schools. If you can wait until all decisions are announced, then wait. If there is a deadline, try getting an extension.

There is definitely confusion on the terms NMF vs NM Scholar. The administration at my son’s high school refers to all National Merit designated students, including Commended students, as “National Merit Scholars.” They have a handful or so of NMFs every year and a couple dozen Commended students so they should be aware of the difference, but not everyone is precise in their language.

1 Like

I agree, the university itself is the best source of info, but sometimes you don’t even know what you don’t know and therefore what to ask about. There are things that aren’t listed on college websites, such as the small awards that make one a NMS at some of the big merit universities. And many wouldn’t even know to ask their chosen college about them unless they heard of their existence.

I have got lots of great and accurate info from here over the past two years. I got help with S20 school and I offered help to others. I don’t have a horse in this game this year. I did last year and with all likelihood will again next year (PSAT 224). And even now, I am very thankful for the thread about Florida scholarships. As a result, we won’t even consider Florida schools for S22.

2 Likes

Sadly, I agree with you. I’m a NMF and the schools I applied to offer little to nothing for the distinction.

I agree that often people at the universities don’t know how their scholarships are awarded.

I spoke to 4 people in financial aid at USC and none of them knew about any NM related scholarship other than the half-tuition Presidential scholarship. Even then they weren’t sure what one had to do to qualify for the NM Presidential scholarship other than being designated as a NMF and accepted into USC. They referred me to the USC scholarship website or to contact NMSC.

I spoke to three admissions officers and two of the three did not know how NM merit scholarships work. One AO knew it in detail because her child received them. She explained that the extra scholarship was to designate a student as a NM Scholar. USC posts the number of NM Scholars on their student profile so the distinction between NMF and NMS must be important enough to them to give the extra $$.

When I share information, I am careful to remind people that I do not work for the university and to always verify with the university before making financial decisions.

4 Likes

Do you have to pick USC as your first choice school to receive half tuition or just have to be a finalist?

You have to pick USC as your first choice by May 31 but I wouldn’t wait until the last minute. If you are going to SIR on May 1, you might as well let NM know then as well. USC Scholarship Info

Unfortunately I have to agree. I am very jaded by the ‘value’ of the NMF. Obviously, some schools are offering big $$ to attract high caliber academic talent. Not many schools that I would categorize as selective (Ivies, UC, UChicago, Northwestern, ND) participate in the program. They already attract serious high caliber talent.

I am happy one of my boys was able to use the NMF designation to help pay for school. Less debt for him and us.

1 Like

Chicago does. My brother gets $2k a year as a NMS at Chicago. Not much, but better than nothing. Which is why you should not tell NM your first choice until you are sure where you are going. Every penny counts!

2 Likes

No, that is not exactly true. Only the specific scholar awards administered through the NMSC render a Finalist a scholar. The bigger awards offered by the universities do not confer scholar status. Further confusing the issue, some universities offer semifinalist awards, such as Fordham’s full tuition award. At Fordham, if a semifinalist does not progress to finalist, that student still has full tuition award, but does not become a scholar.

Also, as others have already mentioned, often the universities which offer the larger scholarships do not themselves know what their scholar award is vs their finalist award. Sometimes, it’s a fairly good amount, such as a $1K or $2K per year, renewable, stackable. But there is often no mention of this award on the websites, or in university literature. For example, at Fordham, I scoured their website last year, and talked to multiple people at the university who were clueless, both in financial aid, and in the admissions office, before I could finally confirm what their scholar award actually was. I also called NMSC, and they could not tell me what Fordham’s scholar award was.

Other universities which offer just the smaller scholar award make it a little simpler in that they might indicate the smaller amount in their materials, such as $1K renewable or non-renewable, etc.

So, I notice you are annoyed by my use of the word “privileged”. To be fair, you did originally say that scholar status and the associated $500 per year at ASU “really doesn’t mean anything to” you. This sounded a little odd to me, and yeah, kind of privileged. That can pay for books, at least partially, etc. For planning purposes, it is nice to know exactly what these scholar awards actually are, especially the larger ones, and especially when it is difficult to find this information. As I’ve explained before, this is the reason why the distinction is being made between finalist and scholar awards here.

1 Like

I will change my first choice to USC if I get the admission. Waiting to see the decision :crossed_fingers:

Exactly. If you get admitted and you know you will attend then you have time to change your first choice with NMSC. That said, you won’t see the scholarship show up in your financial aid for 1-2 weeks after you declare USC as your first choice with NMSC. Because of that, you might want to declare earlier just to make sure your financial aid is updated before you SIR.

Good luck today!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Of my acceptances, I believe Vanderbilt will give me $2,000. I’m looking into that

1 Like

Sorry, I detest the use of the word “privilege” as a label. I was using it in correct context in my post. My point was you misinterpreted the subject of my reference to the $500. It is the $500 that makes my son a “scholar”. The label “Scholar”, much like “privilege” when used as a label, means nothing to me. I will take any money a university will offer. My son also works as a TA to help reduce his student debt. I could ask him to supplement what I am paying out of pocket, but I would rather not saddle him with more debt if I can help it. Maybe you can avoid trying to label people on an anonymous forum? It has been a privilege discussing the topic with you.

1 Like

Son rejected from USC, so no need to worry abt switching his first choice major :joy:

1 Like

My son got in USC with a spring admission. Is he eligible for the half-tuition presidential scholarship? We haven’t made the first choice yet as we are weighing a few options.

1 Like