Class of 2021 National Merit Thread

I read somewhere that University of Maryland has a scholarship National Merit finalists. Can someone confirm? If so, does it apply to all campuses (I’m interested in College Park)? Also, any information on how much it is would be appreciated as well… Thanks!

We got common app tuition waiver for my S21 at umd college park for his semi finalist status when applying. I’m sure they might give around 2k to nmfs if you list them as first choice college. Pls check with the school.

1 Like

My son was accepted to USC and he’s a national merit scholar. Does he automatically get half off tuition as long as he lists USC on the NM website? Also, he got the $2500 NM scholarship. Should he accept that?

1 Like

Yes, accept the $2500! Also, yes, list USC as first choice by the deadline and he will get the half-tuition.

1 Like

That would definitely be a question for USC. Congrats!

Thank you. Same for you. Now we got a tough decision to make over UF, Emory, and USC spring.

1 Like

@NJ08809 confirm that with USC

@baymom1 I replied in the USC decision thread but I’m not sure if you saw it.

Have him log onto NMSC and declare USC as his first choice. NMSC does not notify colleges of updates immediately. @amsunshine is it once a week or twice a month? USC is pretty quick at updating things after they receive notification from NMSC. He will receive an email from USC telling him that there has been a financial aid update and give him instructions how to log on and see it.

1 Like

I believe it’s twice a month, but I’m not sure of the exact dates, so it’s always best to contact NMSC to ask them when they anticipate sending out lists.

1 Like

Thanks. I will reach out to the financial aid office tomorrow.

There are going to be a ton of people calling tomorrow so you might email as well. Getting it in writing always helps. :smile: Congrats again!

That makes sense. I can imagine the mess tomorrow in the AO :slight_smile: I will drop an email to the FA office and report back their response.
Thank you very much.

1 Like

Can you please post the information when you do find out? My son is in the same boat, finalist considering UMD admission offer.

Someone contacted their USC AO and was told that spring admits do receive the half-tuition scholarship if they list USC as their first choice before the 5/31 deadline.

Please call and confirm yourself.

It was me. But you have the wrong deadline to designate a first choice college. It’s 5/31.

1 Like

Thanks for catching that. I corrected it. :smile:

My understanding is that the NMS (Corporate) is only applicable for US Universities. What happens if my child transfers to a US college or university after initially starting at a Canadian University? Is there a path to re-instate the NMS for the remaining years?

@QQsubs , @okay123 - I was only able to find a Financial Aid slide deck from a few years ago that mentioned NMSC - $750-$1000 per year. They are listed on the 2021 College Sponsors in the NMSC handbook, so they are still doing something. The big $$ are the Banneker/Key, president’s and Dean’s. All freshman are considered for these top scholarships. For the top one, you need to be admitted into the Honors college. That’s all I could find.

@usma87, Thank you so much, we haven’t heard from UMD about National Merit yet but he did get the President’s scholarship and very excited about it.

1 Like

@amsunshine Can you pls explain if my son who designated BU as his first choice, received an acceptance from BU and awarded a 25K presidential scholarship for NMF, will also receive college sponsored merit money from BU ($500-$2000) after May 1st?

“Beginning May 1st, NMSC starts compiling lists of Finalists who will receive a college-sponsored scholarship. Two things are required to trigger a mailing of a college-sponsored scholarship directly from NMSC to the Finalist:

A Finalist has a First Choice school designated AND
That Finalist’s name is on that sponsoring school’s list of chosen recipients.”

I’m assuming your son designated BU as first choice in early March, and that has not changed, yes? If so, the NMSC will take it from there and your son will also receive the college sponsored award.

As I usually do for everyone, I encourage you to call NMSC directly to make sure everything looks in order for your son to receive the college sponsored award (for your own peace of mind).

1 Like