Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

Apparently, California had a max cutoff of 220 and Florida had a max cutoff of 217 according to this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/psat/comments/pcb4r3/any_news_of_cutoffs/

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this information!

1 Like

Do you mean their cut off had to be lower than 217 and 220?

1 Like

If the comment on the post is true, than this means the cutoff is 220 or possibly lower for California and for Florida, the cutoff is 217 or possibly lower.

3 Likes

Maybe lower
I thought California barely had anyone take the PSAT?

2 Likes

Nothing today (Friday) in NC.

7 Likes

Same here (NY). No letter.

Oh well, one of these days 

3 Likes

I suggest not reaching much into those posted scores, unless your score is equal or higher. As noted above (but not on Reddit) the fact that x qualified does not mean x is the cutoff. I now know my D22s 224 qualified in PA. The PA cutoff is not 224.

I don’t think anything short of Art Sawyer’ broad network will collect sufficient data to provide valid data. I expect that by Monday, so sit tight.

6 Likes

RichInPitt,

Do you have any idea what the PA cutoff was (maybe based on other scores at your daughter’s school)? Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated. My son and his friends have scores that are “probably” in, but it would be great to have any context. It is going to be a long weekend.

2 Likes

RichinPitt,

Do you know this from a school counselor, or are you a homeschooler who received a letter? Just trying to figure out if any homeschoolers have gotten a letter yet Thanks! And congratulations!

4 Likes

The theme continues - still nothing (NY). Good that S22 has a high score or by now I would be rather nervous.

5 Likes

I’m curious about Texas. I don’t trust one random kid on Reddit confirming the numbers. I know very few students at my kid’s HS took took the PSAT, but I don’t know about the rest of the state.

2 Likes

Homeschooler from Iowa here - my principal received my letter today. I qualified via alternate entry.

9 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Nice! What was your selection index?

1 Like

Students by alternative entry would have an easier time to be selected than those who took the PSAT a year earlier. Is that right?

2 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/psat/comments/pcwo2y/psat_22_semifinalist_lists_received_at_schools/

1 Like

Yes it’s quite a bit easier to qualify via alternate entry since there are more points available at the top end of the SAT but that doesn’t change the selection index since that’s based on PSAT scores in your state & alternate entries are just “extra”. My daughter had a 222 score from the SAT she took in December 2020 (probably qualifies in basically every state) vs a 214 index score on the PSAT she took a month later in January 2021. So had she skipped the PSAT she would have qualified, but since she took both she does not.

2 Likes

Congrats @dbnsmsd !! What was your index score? My principal wont release ours yet :frowning:

1 Like

Your D got a great SAT score, congratulations! It’s bad she couldn’t take advantage of it, but NMSF isn’t of much use I think.

1 Like