Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

Called and confirmed as well – my son’s a finalist! Had one semester C in a AP course so not a guarantee for him.

5 Likes

Called to confirm finalist status (yay). Was concerned since we’re not seeing the Finalist error message or anything like it. They said they have taken it down until they can fix the error, so if you’re not seeing it, no worries…

4 Likes

Yes! I just called them, as well, since that section disappeared on his portal. What a relief to finally have confirmation of finalist status! Congratulations to everyone!

2 Likes

I called too. The lady was polite but I could tell she’s getting lots of calls. DD is a Finalist too! Yay!!

4 Likes

Ugh. I really want to call but I also want to let my daughter be the one to get the news first.

3 Likes

Same. She can’t get home fast enough for me now that I’ve read this!

Our school had a bunch so my son just got an emailed announcement.

1 Like

Did you guys call National Merit or did your kids?

3 Likes

I did because my son was at regional track meet and I called hs guidance counselor who told me to call national merit number listed. She verified error and that he is indeed a finalist!

3 Likes

Northwestern is not on the list this year of colleges giving NMF awards and they have removed the info from their website.

1 Like

My kids portal is the same…… finalist letter NOT there, but we called and confirmed.
Thoughts?

1 Like

Finalist letter is off all the portals right now until they can fix this IT issue. Hopefully on tomorrow (at least that’s what they were saying earlier in the day).

1 Like

Thoughts about what? It sounds like you got verbal confirmation so you’re set. They said this is the first year they have tried to put the letters online so they are still working out the kinks. At least it’s minor progress. The real weak link are the schools, so may of which have not informed students a week after letters went out, and some of which never will.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the list of first choice colleges that the NMSC puts out in early March only shows the college a student selects as first choice their name or if every college sees it? For example, if a college is sensitive about yield protection could they see that an applicant has selected a different college as first choice? And if so, is the student better off being listed as undecided until after decisions.

I Called them and here is what they said

Notification was sent to school last week

The portal will show the finalist status tomorrow.

Not all finalists are offered a prize, they will offer prizes to only 50%

we do not get to choose the prize, they will decide. So wait till you are offered a prize.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, colleges can only see the first choice students for their college, not other schools.

2 Likes

Those are the exact thoughts I mean haha. I wish we could have heard the intended way -via school, rather then phone calls and speculation.

I too am personally stoked they are trying to post via portal like colleges do for acceptance and award letters. I don’t like relying on a school that didn’t even know my son was a finalist until I asked and didn’t know how to fill out the paperwork. :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Is the status on the portal yet?

Do you see update on the portal?

1 Like