Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Sending hugs and a strong drink to everyone waiting on Oberlin decisions today!!! I remember the wait on this day, two years ago, VERY well! Thank you for your wonderful post, @coloraturadad. I hope everyone gets really good news today, but it is so important to remember that rejection is part of the process (and will be part of their careers!) for all of our talented artists in this life they are choosing. Celebrate the journey and EVERY victory! I can’t wait to hear where all your amazing kids end up!

T minus 3 and a half hours! We can do this! @dsinha @NaariyalAmma @sssulliv

Rice just sent an email that they will update the portal on Tuesday 5 pm.(central time) It will include infos of admission, scholarships and financial aids all at once. I don’t have high hopes on this admission since it is told to be so competitive but will still wait for it.

Good luck with all waiting on Oberlin!

My son’s guidance counselors sent this note to all the class of 2019 parents and kids today. I thought it was lovely and wanted to share:

Good Morning Seniors,

So, College decisions are arriving. Even outside of the college process, this is a time that can be both stressful and celebratory.

The first thing we want to say is that you are phenomenal people, and we are immensely proud of you. The second is a thought: College admissions decisions, wanted or unwanted, are not a measure of your worth as a person.

As those decisions trickle in, for you, your friends, and classmates, we want you to reflect on the incredible kindness that you each possess.

Some of you will get the decisions that you wanted, and that is wonderful. You should celebrate that you received an answer that you wanted to hear. Others will get unwanted decisions, and that will feel unpleasant, maybe miserable. It is okay to feel sad about a decision you didn’t want to hear, but it is important to keep it in perspective. A college couldn’t make space for you - that is all it means.

Whether you got the decision you wanted or one you didn’t, you are not a different person than you were before you opened that message. It can be shocking to get either kind of decision and that is okay too.

Be kind to yourselves. Kindness for yourself means allowing yourself to celebrate good news or lament bad news.

Your friends and classmates are also going to be getting news, and they too, deserve your kindness. Again, your kindness is immense, so please share it! When your friend gets good news, be happy for him or her. When your friend gets bad news, empathize with her or him if they are willing to share. Some people are going to want to share their news, good or bad, and that’s okay for them to do that. Others may want to process their news privately, and please provide them space to do that.

College admissions decisions are not a measure of your worth as a person. Be mindful that your worth is within you. It is always within you, and rather than waiting for a message from a college to make it come alive, it is only waiting for you to recognize it.

Go into the homestretch here at CHS proud of the work you have done, proud of the development you’ve achieved, and excited to march toward graduation. When you receive decisions, let us know so we can celebrate with you.

We are here for you!

The Guidance Department

Our DD applied to a lot of rolling admissions schools, so her final result came in today. She is waitlisted at SUNY Purchase. I don’t know how likely a spot will open up, but it is nice not to be rejected outright. She got accepted everywhere else she applied. SUNY Purchase tends to be a bit suspicious of homeschooling, so perhaps that could be part of the waitlisting. (I had to ask for special permission so that my child could apply without having to get a GED.) Or perhaps they just had too many applicants. We asked to stay on the waiting list, so we will see if anything happens there in late April. In the meantime, we do have other good options.

Congratulations on both the waitlist and the admits @LaurelVDW D!

Just heard back from USC… I recieved my admission packet (per defferal) but was not admitted to thornton.I have to admit im not surprized…A professor called me letting me know that USC was admitting 6 students this year (usually accepts 12) fot piano and I was on the borderline. O well, thats life, although I have to admit I thought I would get in- professor let me know that another professor thought that my auditoon was one of the best he ever heard. Just tells you not to believe anything until you see it on paper! Still waiting on UCLA!:v:

Oh boy, @Lyoder2051 - that’s crazy, especially since you got so far in the Curtis auditions. Try not to be too upset- you need to go where your talents are appreciated!!

Aw, sorry to hear that @Lyoder2051 – fingers crossed you get the news you are hoping for in 5-1/2 hours!

About frost, I have read different things about the green dots on UM websites. Some have said its good and others bad. That makes me think maybe we don’t know what they mean. My son has green dot. He had great audition I believe but low SAT scores for UM. I am in a conference and can’t check portal all day.

You’re almost there. ONLY one week (mile) left!

I love being at the 25 mile mark of a marathon and a bystander yells something like this. I wish I could stop and say…it’s actually 1.2 more miles and I died at mile 20 so I’m running on fumes and anger here buster…there’s no ONLY in this!

Hang in there! And I’m going on an extended vacation just as you enter the home stretch! I’ll lift a few glasses of ouzo to all of you…and to my H and I for making it through 30 years of marriage (which come to think of it…may be easier than surviving audition season!).

Haha enjoy @bridgenail ! Knock back a metaxa for me!

Been reading and cheering for everyone. (and very sorry @lyoder2051)

We are probably one of the only ones on this board NOT waiting on USC or UMiami, but I feel your pain! We are in our own little purgatory (as a non-music friend so aptly put it) waiting on acceptances, scholarships etc. And, I have a kid who doesn’t share anything and takes his laptop with him so I can’t log into any portals. I have to live vicariously through you all. (Enjoy your trip @bridgenail - we love Greece!) Fingers crossed! Looking forward to logging in later tonight…

@Lyoder2051 - geezzz…I’m so sorry about USC. I hate it when they build up hopes. Well - as they say, wasn’t meant to be (ughhhh). One door closes, another one opens. Piano is so very, very tough. Were you applying for grad or undergrad? Please let us know what you are waiting for - and we will cheer you on. You are obviously very talented and can’t believe that you hang with us neurotic parents on here so you must be committed to this crazy music journey.

I love what that guidance counselor wrote. I just wish that we were getting some results today so that we could heed it. I’ll have to read it again next week to keep it fresh.

@bridgenail - I have no doubt that you will find some Internet where you are to see what happens on here with all us nailbiters (with a glass of ouzo). My hubby and I are approaching 30 also…congrats!

I have to say, more than anything, I want our daughter to get some good results so that my 94 year old mother who just said to me today that she is jealous of her sister-in-law who has 3 grandkids in med school x 2 and law school. That’s her measure of success so I doubt that she will be impressed with a conservatory scholarship - but you never know…I need to learn to ignore her and realize that most grandparents would be proud. :frowning:

I hope that the mail delivers everyone a white box, or a green dot, or whatever your “pot of gold” might be.

@LaurelVDW, as a homeschool parent (my music son is a transfer student after applying to colleges 3 years ago as a homeschool freshman-long story!) and college consultant, I have always had student avoid NY colleges for the most part unless they are really ready to document, document, document, so kudos to your DD for even making the waitlist without a GED! And congratulations on the other acceptances! Sounds like your D might hear before the May 1st deadline; keep us posted!

Wow – I was off this board for about 36 hours and had 8 or 10 pages to read! Good luck to everyone waiting today – and thank you so much for sharing your experiences and advice. I know it will be my lifeline next school year when D goes through this process!

Quick random question for any vocalist parents out there (because I know you probably appreciate being distracted right now while you wait):

My daughter is a soprano with a really big vocal range – very clear on the highest high notes but able to go low too (I’m not a musician, so I can’t tell you which notes, only that voice teachers people comment on both the number of octaves and the clarity). She got into Tanglewood for this summer, and they told her in the acceptance that while she’d still be doing her solo work as a soprano, due to her range they want her to sing alto in the choir. Anyone else have that situation? Is it common? Is it a good thing that we should tout in her applications next year, or something to be concerned about – i.e. could it damage her voice in any way? She kind of shrugged about it because she doesn’t know either, and she keeps forgetting to talk to her voice teacher about it.

@khill87 - I am NO expert, but my daughter is a Soprano with a big range and she has sung all voice parts in her school choir. They have an acapella group and she did alto in that, Soprano I and II in regular choir - just depending on where they needed a big voice. Her voice teacher hasn’t been concerned. The only thing he is ever concerned about is belting (which is not an issue in this case)

@khill87 - I am a complete novice in music, but I can tell you what my daughter told me. Our D is also a soprano and she often sang alto last summer in the choir at her camp. She enjoys singing soprano roles more, but she felt it was a great learning experience and she also thought it protected her voice. She sang more that summer than she ever had before. Singing alto in choir put less stress on her voice and allowed her to save her soprano voice for solo rehearsals and recitals.