Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@SnackysMom still waiting on two schools, but if it comes down to it I may PM you about the deferral process and reauditioning for Berklee for my s next year. Fingers crossed that your son gets what he needs this year!

Congrats @Lyoder2051 and @akapiratequeen on the NYU admits!

@Lyoder2051 and @akapiratequeen on NYU. D also accepted. Zero money as far as I can tell but We can borrow $72 grand. Gee, thanks! Lots to think about.

@Lyoder2051 @akapiratequeen and @highnotes2018 - Congrats on the NYU admits. They are not known for their merit awards - but getting in is an accomplishment in itself.

@Lyoder2051 - a $4k year at UCLA is quite a fete. Congrats! Looks like your gap year really paid off.

@songbirdmama - great reminder about out kids. Our daughter nearly had a meltdown today. Her school gave her the ultimatum (with good cause) that she couldn’t be late or miss anymore classes in order to walk with her graduating class. Last night her phone died and then this morning her car died on the way to school. She left it at the side of the road and walked 1.5 miles but was 25 minutes late (she couldn’t call anyone because her phone died). I’m not sure if the universe is trying to tell her something but her stress is off the charts right now. She is appealing the school but of course is blaming it on me (you should have ordered me a new phone when it was on the blink). Ummmmm…no. For anyone who is reading this - if you have a lot of auditions scheduled last semester that you have to travel for (our daughter only had 4 - but had to make 2 East Coast trips) - then consider putting your musician in online school to finish up the year. The pressure that missing classes puts on these kids adds a whole other level of stress to an already stressful situation. I remember @SpartanDrew gave me this advice and it’s a good idea. When I read about your kids that are doing AP Classes, competitions, extracurriculars, etc. on top of auditions, I just scratch my head and wonder how they are doing it all.

Now - back to the stress at hand - when in the world will the New School release results??? I just found out that TWO freshman jazz bassists are transferring out after this year which makes me a little hopeful and a little nervous (why?) all at the same time.

Oh - and if I get another Dependent Verification form to fill out I’m going to scream!! I swear I’ve filled it out several times for each college - they don’t seem to get it - it’s like the black hole. I guess that means they are working on financial aid - but after about 12 college acceptances (between our two daughters) I know exactly what the financial aid is going to be (standard Pell grants plus federal loans) so I’m not sitting on the edge of my seat for those numbers. The mystery is in the merit scholarships not the financial aid - although interestingly SFCM told our daughter that they don’t give merit scholarships since all the students admitted are at a high standard - they just give financial aid - so that could be interesting.

ACCEPTED. JULLIARD SCHOOL.

Wow!! So happy for you!!! Cool!!! @Lyoder2051 that is the best!!

Lyoder2015——— AMAZING NEWS!!! YOU MADE MY DAY!!!

GUYS I AM LITERALLY SHAKING!!!

@Lyoder2051 congrats! Totally amazing!

Thank you all! I still cant believe it, I thought my audition went bad haha

@Lyoder2051 CONGRATS! Piano, am I correct?

Lyoder2015——— My son didn’t have exciting auditions so now I have some hopes after hearing your Juilliard audition and acceptance. Wow, I am jumping now, I am so happy for you!!!

Wow! Congratulations, @Lyoder2051 . How very wonderful!!!

@JeJeJe My audition didn’t feel very confident…I thought I missed to many notes, and didn’t play as musically as I ought to have. 3 more schools to hear from…Peabody and Curtis :slight_smile:

@MomOD4 Yes! Piano! Studio of Jullian Martin. Will see what happens with aid…so far the cost has been prohibitive for a number of schools :/.

Wow-absolutely incredible. Congratulations @Lyoder2051! I am thrilled for you!

Congratulations @Lyoder2051 !!!

@Lyoder2051…congrats!!! That is awesome news!!!

Thank you so much everyone! This thread has been so great-all the support, insider tips- a lot of fun for me!!! hopefully curtis will have good news for me on monday :smiley:

Hello all, being on this thread has been awesome! I thought I might share a little bit more about myself…

My Julliard acceptance was not straightforward and simple…I first applied to college last year. I did not plan to do music-I had applied to schools with largerly an emphasis on humanities, etc. The only conservatory I applied to was Bard-i was wait-listed. To be fair, I applied ages after the deadline and didn’t even send them a classical work, but nevertheless, in light of my 7 Ivy league rejections+ wash U, it was quite painful. Now lets not get me wrong-I had some great admits-UCSD, UCSB, Boston College, Brandeis-but I just didn’t see myself really happy at a place where music was not the primary emphasis. To bad I reached this conclusion so late in the admissions cycle!!!

So I took a gap year, focusing on improving my musical abilities. My mother is my teacher, and there had been difficult times in my musical career- having your mother as your teacher is NOT EASY. In fact I basically didn’t practice from myself or seriously until about 3 years ago, and even then, I did not plan to pursue music. I only started to practice-with the specific intention of actually accomplishing something a year and a half ago.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you stay positive and believe in yourself- and try hard enough-it really is possible to accomplish your dreams.I was certainly sad I was rejected by every IVY I applied to last year, but I could not be happier now. I Know for a fact I wouldn’t be happy without music, and if I went to an Ivy that is probably what would happen. I guess rejections really are for the best.