Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Congratulations @TwoInCollegeMom! It’s definitely hard but so nice to know that he is going to a place that you know is right for him. I have the same issue at my house—S would leave tomorrow if he could!

Congrats @TwoInCollegeMom !! What does your S play? A friend of my S from NJ will be at Jacobs as well, amazing place!

And USC families…the Rochester contingent is pretty darn jealous!

Thank you @WestofPCH, @lkbux64 and @Lendlees, and congrats on your kids’ great acceptances! I haven’t toured Boyer, but I’m from Philly originally and absolutely LOVE the city. I always sort of dreamed about moving back there when I retired. And I really liked Peabody when I toured it in the past! And @lkbux64, I hope to see you around at some of the parent events at Thornton!

Just wanted to drop by to express my gratitude for the support, encouragement and help from all the music parents. From the moment I joined this thread, I knew that we were not quite belong. Despite all the scholarship opportunities and the support for dual-degree pursuit from the music schools, my son’s going to commit to the place that he believes to be the best fit. He’s going to be a Computer Science and Violin Performance dual-degree student at University of Washington. We have bought a condo near the campus so he and his sister (a current UW student and also a Biology and Violin Performance dual-degree) could live there.

Congratulations @pdxtigermom! Your son knew what he wanted from the start and kudos to him for pursuing what he views as his best fit. Good luck to him and so great that he gets to live with his sister!

Congrats @TwoInCollegeMom - it’s great when you know it’s ‘the place’… we felt that way about Boyer from the day we toured. And @pdxtigermom - where’s the condo? We live a stones throw from UW (my spouse used to be a professor). The direct admit to the CS program is a feather in your S’ cap - very hard to get into. Nice to have two in the same city that’s not a long drive for you.

@JeJeJe Congrats to your son’s admittance and acceptance at his top choice, that has to feel good!

@Lendlees It’s called Park Vista Cooperative.

@pdxtigermom - I drive by it all the time! Super convenient to campus…

@Lendlees yes, it’s about 15 minutes walking distance. The DA to CS is hard to pass especially for OOS students like my son. We feel very grateful and fortunate.

@JeJeJe Congrats to your son’s admittance and acceptance at his top choice, that has to feel good!

While my daughter and her friends are upstairs celebrating two teenager birthdays, I’m downstairs stealing onto the forum to let you all know D committed to Luther last night!

I had dragged her one more time to a conservatory for class visits, but on our way home (from Appleton, Wisconsin), I had her tell me where her heart was, and so she told me.

I (we) truly loved all the choices D had (Luther, Baldwin Wallace, Lawrence, NEC), but she ultimately did not want to choose one instrument over the other (cello/voice), and wanted to attend where she had felt most at home.

I did freak out on her one more time the next day when thinking of all the non-music credits she’ll have to wade through. But she’s certain! I encouraged her to enroll in local summer classes so she can shave some gen eds off the top.

She did ask for (and received) one more scholarship to cover cost of lessons on a second instrument, so that helped! Will-not-attend messages sent; deposit paid; big smile on D’s face!! And it’s only two hours away.

Thank you to all who shared the journey here. I remember posting the first time last year (and not sure whether I truly belonged; you know how close everyone always seems on these boards), but you all were so generous and spunky and warm all the time (and as anxious as I as we threw ourselves into the process). Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

This is great news @“Pikachu’s Mom”! So excited for you and D. I’ve always loved your posts btw, starting with your screen name! Pikachu’s very popular around here!

So much news!!

@TwoInCollegeMom, congrats on Jacobs commit; @pdxtigermom —your S is like my D, I suspect; so great that he’ll get to do all he wants to; @MMRose —congrats on the commit to Thornton, what a wonderful program that seems; @meltedbutter—hope everything will feel like it clicks into place—I’m glad we waited through the impatience with the process to the point where we all felt on board because we had considered everything!

@PercussionMama —congrats to you all; those letters were awful for D to write but a load off her mind also; @BassoonMom2019 —congratulations!! Hope your family is recovering from the shock—such great opportunities to choose from! @lkbux64–congrats on the Thornton commit! Wonderful your S will attend his dream school!

If there are more admits, I’m sorry not to have recognized them all. Waiting for answers that were slow in developing made me tongue-tied!

It’s time for the final music events of the year, and the last time our family will have a student in the high school music ensembles! We’ll just have to lurk and attend the college events when we can!

Best of luck to all—anyone still biting their nails, waiting for news? I feel for you!! Good luck!

@“Pikachu’s Mom” congrats on your daughter’s decision to go to Luther College. As I think you know, I believe a liberal arts education is a wonderful way to study music, my daughter is doing that, and she is loving it. She has lots of gen ed requirements, and the classes are really good, she’s learning a lot and developing important skills. I must say that I am glad your daughter will be able to keep studying both cello and voice.

Thanks @akapiratequeen! The name recalls D dressed as a giant Pikachu for Halloween a few years ago—That’s the girl I know and love!

@SuzeViolin— thank you! Your D seems to have thrived and I know my S has (as non-music major) in an LAC environment. When it comes to my D, I admire the way she knows her own mind, and I know she’ll do great!

Congratulations @TwoInCollegeMom , @“Pikachu’s Mom” , @pdxtigermom , and any others I may have missed.

We are also working our way through all the lasts of our youngest kid’s high school career. Bittersweet. So exciting to see all the accomplishments and think ahead to all the future opportunities, but as I sit and listen to D practice, so sad to think of closing this chapter.

He’s posted on social media so it’s official. S is headed to University of North Texas to study music education. He’s officially a choral emphasis, (he was given a choral music scholarship, and it just made more sense logistically) but he’s also planning to take the coursework for an orchestral emphasis. After lots of phone calls and emails to confirm he can actually do this and answer the rest of his questions, it’s official. He’s happy. So is his sister, who is also moving to the DFW area this summer.

@“Pikachu’s Mom” congratulations to your daughter! Luther was a very close second for my son. We both really really loved it when we visited for his audition.

Congratulations to everyone! I don’t post a lot but it’s great to hear of the payoff for all these musicians who have worked so hard to get to this place.

I have a question.

Let’s say your child commits to a school on April 30th and then a wait list school comes up with an offer on May 1st or later, or a school where you asked to defer enrollment to 2020 and reaudition for a better scholarship, comes back with an offer on May 1st or later. This probably won’t happen, but want to be prepared just in case…
What’s the worst that will happen if you then break your contract with the first school to accept one of these later offers? Loss of deposit? More?