Class of 2026 Undergrad/Class of 2024 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@zafacon We are at Jacobs audition weekend now, and indeed the magical packet came through! They are offering Jacobs tours (almost every hour Friday and Saturday) and two campus tours a day, as well. It was so good to see this since the campus tour that we saw online was booked by the time we found out about passing the prescreening.

We’ve had a great experience here - everyone is so friendly and helpful. Now we just hope for an acceptance!

8 Likes

DS passed the prescreen at Bard for clarinet. And that’s all the prescreens! He’s likely going to have to submit a video for this one as it’s sandwiched right in between Baldwin Wallace and Peabody (unless one or both of those ends up going virtual).

8 Likes

Thank you so much for the update on the magical packet! :slight_smile: And so glad to hear you both had a positive experience ~ not surprising from what my son has already learned about the place!

1 Like

Good luck, everyone - we all have a 2-month gauntlet ahead of us and I wish the best for all of our kids. Daughter plays tenor trombone/classical, seeking a BM degree and considering arts administration minor where it is available. At BOCO/Berklee this weekend for audition #2 (already accepted at UK from a wonderful fall audition where she felt very welcomed). Final auditions scheduled for Eastman, Oberlin, UNT and Bard. Off to the races we go … or not, to a degree, since so many are converting to live virtual or recordings.

10 Likes

I always love following the next generation of musicians as they start their journey. Good luck to all of you!

4 Likes

Glad to know someone else on this thread will be at BOCO\Berklee this weekend. My Daughter is auditioning for the MM Voice Opera. This will be our first time in Boston and she is super excited

5 Likes

Actually we were there last weekend for brass auditions, but enjoy and good luck! This is a great place to wait if anyone needs to get out of the cold - right next to the tall dorm on Massachusetts. Tatte Bakery & Cafe
160 Massachusett Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
map link

3 Likes

The Bebop was great for lunch on a cold day also - average Boston Irish pub, but had a fantastic jazz trio during lunch.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. We will definitely make plans to do lunch there.

yours is fast, I got mine on January

Now they changed the final audition requirements, I know at least for piano… They want you to record a program including several pieces in one take without any editing and some pieces only needs a portions and some has to be full, just to “mock” the live audition feeling. It felt so weird to record portion of a piece though

2 Likes

Anyone heard from Curtis on BM:Composition ? This is the only college we haven’t heard anything since my S applied. Students do not have an account either to check like a student portal for Curtis, I am just curious if anyone has gotten anything for Composition program, thanks!

1 Like

My D passed the pre screen for Voice and had the Virtual Audition. This school was the last of all of her applications to give any results. I would say to go back to the website and check the dates where they say you will hear results. The website advised for vocals that they would hear something after 1/5, I think don’t quote me. Within a few days, say about 5 my daughter was notified. So, I think they will send something for your S a few days after whatever the website advises for his program of study.

I hope this helps a little. Sorry I don’t know about Composition, but I’m glad you brought up Curtis. Hopefully some more experienced parents can comment.

1 Like

I know a comp student who got an email invitation for an interview at Curtis, but the interview is very late-- end of March. Possibly they are still sending out notifications?

1 Like

Good to know, thankyou both!

1 Like

Anyone heard from Cincinnati or University of Maryland yet for any instrument auditions?

Wondering how long in general do the schools wait to give a decision? Do they wait until all of the audition dates are completed or will they make decisions before then?

Some schools do rolling admissions, but a lot of them release decisions all on the same day sometime in March. You can look back through old threads to get an idea of the dates for specific schools (which generally stay in the same ballpark year to year, IME)

1 Like

Feel free to contact music admissions at the school if you want. They are there to answer questions. You don’t want to ask about your kid specifically. But it’s OK to call/email for a clarification on when/how decisions are released for an instrument. Do they roll…or do they wait until mid-March, late March etc. I think that it’s better to ask than to wonder…and lose sleep over it. It is stressful. (fyi: most decisions seem to come in March)

Looking at old acceptance threads can definitely help too. The school website may also give you information.

3 Likes

In an interview today, the school asked my daughter what other schools she was applying to. She hasn’t been asked this before and so she just rattled off as many as she could remember in the moment. She’s applied to about 10, I think? Some BA LACs, but mostly BM programs in colleges with conservatories or schools of music within. They seemed surprised that she applied to so many.

Why are they asking this question? It’s a SHORT interview, so I would think each question has a purpose. Should she not list them all - just a few? The more selective ones or the less selective?

She cast her net wide hoping for lots of choices and ability to compare financial aid and merit offers. This one is very high on her list, though, so I hope being honest and naming almost all of them was a good thing! Anyone have thoughts on this?

Every school asked my son this question a few years ago. I think they want to know the competition, and where you see your level.

3 Likes