Class of 2026 Undergrad/Class of 2024 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Thank you for your detailed reply! We finally connecting with an instructor at Mannes and it turns out that Mannes still has very strict COVID restrictions so he is not even sure an in person trial lesson is possible. (Mannes is also only allowing private campus tours and admission meetings by appointment only.) At the very least he’ll have a virtual lesson. In fact, when we took a look at the Common App yesterday for The New School, it indicated the only option for auditions is virtual, even thought the website states they hope to be in person.
For the pre-screens we have been able to borrow a Zoom H5 mic from a family member and think we can connect it to an iphone to get a professional sounding recording. Fingers crossed!
From visiting several schools already, we have come to understand that auditions need not be perfect-the schools are looking for talent and especially musicality, as well as someone they can work well with.
A stressful process for sure, with lots to learn and understand.

1 Like

The NYC schools are still very strict. My S is at MSM precollege and is performing his concerto competition for a woodwind with a mask on, they are still strictly masking everyone during all lessons and performances and not letting anyone outside in the building. I would be surprised in Mannes and Julliard were any different.

2 Likes

Great thread-thanks for starting! My D22 is a cellist, probably BM or BA in music, also interested in sciences, still working on her exact list. She is mostly looking at mid-large universities with schools of music as well as possibly a few conservatories. She is applying EA to Yale (definitely a long shot) and also looking at Oberlin, UMich, Rice, Stanford, UCLA, CIM/Case, maybe Juilliard and NEC and a few safeties. She has had many virtual trial lessons which have been really helpful for her.

Looking forward to hearing about all your experiences this year. Already been through the college app year with my son in 2020, but not in music, so this feels new (and somewhat overwhelming!)

3 Likes

How’s everyone doing?

Here, music apps are in and a very surprised and happy YoungArts winner in the house. Of course the apps were submitted before this news came, but oh well. (also didn’t answer his phone for two days so they had to email him to call them)

The one non-music school app still to be done, and then hoping to hear about auditions soon. Can any vets here tell us when to expect to hear? I imagine it varies from school to school.

Update us, all! It’s very quiet on this board!

4 Likes

Is your son going to let schools know about the Young Arts? I have no experience with Young Arts and wonder if that is suggested by others who do have experience.

1 Like

I suppose if he can figure out how to do that, he will?

I’ll take any advice I can get! It doesn’t seem like there’s a way to update his resume and resubmit to either the music schools or the Common App.

1 Like

Traditionally, December is a big month for hearing back on pre-screens (into early January depending on the school). Last year a prescreen thread was started on 12/03. See below. Of course, last year was a “different” year so it will be interesting to see how things unfold this year.

As for Young Arts, I don’t know how to communicate that. You could reach out to music admissions and ask.

3 Likes

When I won a competition my senior year, I emailed the main email for music admissions that I had an update to my application and CC’d the saxophone professors that I’d auditioned for. I definitely think it’s worth letting them know about it.

2 Likes

congrats!

2 Likes

Thank you! Big surprise for sure.

1 Like

gonna pm you a question

1 Like

@Baribassmom You should definitely let the school know! My kid emailed her. Ad com and was advised to log into her school portal and add it. We asked YoungArts for an official email which they sent, along with a link to request an official certificate. Good luck and Congrats!!

2 Likes

Congrats to you and yours!! I’ll encourage him to do some updating and notifying for sure.

Hilariously, he got the ‘official’ email and it listed his category as dance. LOL if they could only see him dance! Hopefully they’ll send a correction, but he has the link to ask for the certificate. Hahaha, we really got a laugh out of that one over here.

1 Like

That’s so funny! My daughter had a nice back and forth with the YoungArts person so it seems they are very responsive it would be so confusing for your son’s college to read that official email haha.

1 Like

They already responded with a new official email-- they are very responsive! But I guess also too busy to proof read their emails, LOL.

1 Like

Hello All,
Need advice regarding audition instrument availability at recommended facilities.
My S18 is a percussionist, and in college applications, there is an option to select preferred AUDITION locations, but they didn’t mention about 5.0 octane Marimba availability on their website at locations.
Any idea about the availability of Marimba on-site?. It is for Berklee.

I would ask Berklee. Via email or if that doesn’t bring a response, call.

2 Likes

Thank you Compmom!!sure i will call Berklee.

1 Like

Hello, this is my second go-round with a music major. I have a D20 who is at a SLAC with a conservatory. She started as a clarinet performance major and quickly became disenchanted, probably pandemic-related. She is now a Music BA.

S22 is a percussionist and has been waffling between nursing and music ed. At the 11th hour, he decided to throw his hat into the ring and do some music school auditions, but will also apply to several LACs in case the tides shift again. The list is:

Ithaca (performance/education double degree)
Lawrence (music ed)
UNT (music ed)
Texas State (music ed)

He has a low-ish GPA but I think he will audition well. I’m concerned about him having musical peers at the other LACs he is applying to. I’d love to add more schools but this is seriously all he can handle right now.

3 Likes

If any Ithaca admits could share their GPA, I would be very appreciative! S is sitting at 3.3 but should have straight As (maybe one B) this semester.

1 Like