Class of 2026 Undergrad/Class of 2024 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Who all has heard from Blair/Vanderbilt?

S (BM Cello) got his Blair/Vanderbilt invitation Tuesday morning around 8:30 AM PST.

3 Likes

My son hasn’t submitted his Blair prescreen yet. He keeps recording one more time in case THAT one is the best one yet. I told him he needs to call it tomorrow so he doesn’t have to keep worrying about it over Christmas.

3 Likes

My D auditioned for MM VP (mezzo) at CCM. It was a few years ago. Her impression was that it was a “serious” audition….an expected number of candidates…nothing over the top. They spent quite a bit of time with her and she knew 2 professors there. Still she did not get accepted. It was the only school that she auditioned at (besides Curtis which gave her a couple of minutes only) that did not accept her. She did feel that the “needs” of the school for upcoming productions played heavily in their consideration. Even as a mezzo…if they have other mezzos in your “type” it can be hard (she was a pants role Mozart type mezzo…still is but her voice is going higher lately to dreaded soprano range!).

Good luck…let us know how the audition season goes for her.

2 Likes

Anyone hear from Thornton or Frost (RD)? I’m surprised that my DS hasn’t received an email yet…. Does this mean we wait until January to find out?

During our tour and meeting with the Frost Asst. Dir. of Admissions, he said it would likely be Jan when they send out prescreen results.

2 Likes

S got an email invitation from USC Thornton on Monday, 12/20.

3 Likes

Thanks- I don’t know if they send them all out at the same time. Still no word here :grimacing:

Has anyone heard from Eastman?

Heard from Frost today! Phew

7 Likes

Ww are still waiting from Frost. What is your Ds major?

Media scoring and production

1 Like

My S also applied for the same. We haven’t received any update about prescreen(RD)

I think Eastman said they would be sending prescreen notifications in January

Has anyone heard from University of Maryland or Hartford on their early action applications? They wanted video submissions and I thought I read on here from previous years that notices went out before Christmas. Sadly haven’t seen anything yet.

Also, anyone guess on whether Arizona State will go virtual for their auditions this year?

Happy to join this group! My D22 applied as a composition major ED to Vandy/Blair and RD to UMich/SMTD, Indiana/Jacobs, Oberlin and Northwestern (although she never submitted the music supplement to Northwestern). She interviewed at Blair and was offered interviews with Jacobs and UMich, and denied at Oberlin, before being accepted ED at Blair! Now she is withdrawing the other applications and gets to enjoy the rest of her senior year.

We definitely thought Blair was a reach, so I would echo what was stated above encouraging students to apply to reach schools. It’s such a subjective process and you never how how their portfolio will be received by a given school/professor. Good luck to everyone else as the journey continues!

16 Likes

congratulations! (on the admission and on being DONE!)

May not apply to timing of undergrad apps, but my MM app kid was rejected for prescreen at Eastman yesterday.

Thank you, kokotg!

Congrats!! How awesome!! My daughter is also applying as a composition major to Blair as a reach, but regular decision so we’ll have to hope that they still left some room in the department! Haha. So exciting for you guys. She has interviews at Jacobs and Oberlin this month and we are waiting to hear from the rest. Thank you for sharing the composition questions on the other thread - very helpful for preparation! It’s a long road and my daughter really doesn’t have a top choice, which is both good and bad. So nice for you to be done, though! Enjoy!

3 Likes