Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

We gave our opinions BEFORE applications were sent. As a family, we agreed that any school applied to could be an option if our kids were accepted.

After acceptances, we only gave opinions when asked…and really, our kids (including the musician) owned their college selection process. They chose amongst the acceptances.

2 Likes

Up until this summer, our kid didn’t pay too much attention to college. My H had regular meetings with him about it, but it wasn’t until late in the game that we heard decisively, “I want to go to college for music.” And then, “jazz guitar.” (what?!) :slight_smile:

So, I wish we had been more systematic, but we didn’t know anything. We didn’t realize until a bunch of his applications were done how much the location of the school was going to matter. We had not vetted every school for whether there were industry connections, or what the music department was like. I’d been here on this board for two months before I heard that a music program could be competitive after you got in! LOL.

I get this, and I really really don’t want him to go somewhere because H or I think it’s the best. Honestly, I wish I could take back a bunch of the feedback I’ve already given him, though I think he was a little lost, too.

The schools remaining within reach financially are each distinctive–a small private school in the heart of jazz country with a warm atmosphere, and a commuter-ish public but with a cool music program heavy on the practical side of industry and career, both with the collaborative possibilities he wants with film. If USC comes through, it seems like basically an industry giant, and if he wanted to forego it, I think we would have a discussion about why. If UNT comes through, we would want to talk about that choice, too. The one school I mentioned not supporting is his most safety-ish safety that we made him apply to because we were ignorant.

My son got accepted to MSM. Nice scholarship offer, too.

12 Likes

@2plustrio in hindsight, I feel we didn’t fully understand the issue of undergrads only versus the presence of grad students. There are pros and cons. But at some schools the grad students really are prioritized, so that is definitely something to check out. BW is undergrads only, the other two aren’t so that seems like an important criterion you can mention to you son without offering an opinion!

Great analysis by @AustenNut and great comments by @Bridgenail- as always for both of them.

5 Likes

My daughter (undergrad viola) just received MSM and Juilliard acceptances. We’re so excited for her. MSM gave her an incredible scholarship. We have to wait for the financial info from Juilliard. Hopefully CIM comes out tomorrow. I’m so happy to move in to the final stage of this process.

8 Likes

It’s a no from Juilliard. We are now only awaiting CIM.

D23 is in at Princeton, Yale, UPenn and Columbia. This is crazy. We are speechless and still processing.

UPenn acceptance is very special, her grandfather worked with Russell Ackoff and translated his books into Russian.

Just got the news she is named a Woodruff Scholar at Emory. Full ride at her happy place, almost home for her now. I remember taking her to candlelight holiday concerts at Carlos Museum, toddlers in pajamas, sitting around on the floor, hot cocoa, music instrument petting zoo, and now she is playing Mozart’s flute concerto with the Emory Youth orchestra in May. Who would have thought…

9 Likes

Sorry to hear. But he seems to have several outstanding options!

2 Likes

WOW!!!
So many amazing choices, congrats to all of you!

3 Likes

What an incredible day! Wow. And beautiful memories. :heart:

4 Likes

@RussianMom, congratulations to your D! :tada: We’re celebrating with her!

2 Likes

I’m imagining her opening those letters one after another! :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Incredible achievements!!!

2 Likes

Mine too! What instrument again maccarthur

3 Likes

Vocal Performance

2 Likes

Mine too!

2 Likes

Is he undergrads?

My son was accepted to NYU (Jazz Studies- Steinhardt) and I was wondering if anyone had experience with appeals at NYU or does anyone know if appeals are likely to lead to more aid? My son was granted a merit scholarship but the cost is still A LOT more than we can afford. I was also wondering if anyone knows how their merit offers work? If another student decides not to attend, do they redistribute the merit money? This is my son’s dream school and program.

2 Likes

Yes

My daughter received her Berklee decision - she’s in!

9 Likes