Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Onward and upward!! You’ve got this!

I know my son was told last year that 56 people auditioned for 4 spots in the clarinet studio at Oberlin…but we don’t know whether that was total number auditioning or how many people passed the prescreen (he was waitlisted and ultimately did not get in).

1 Like

I 100% agree. Last year many in person auditions were scrapped when the covid surge hit, but not all. My S22 did all live virtual, including the one that still held live in person, and was admitted to all. I really think schools are becoming more conscious of equity and access.

3 Likes

I don’t know how. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :worried: :slightly_frowning_face: :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Pardon my ignorance but: Music Theory Test at Oberlin. Does everyone have to take it or just the composition students? Also, is it relatively easy if you never took a theory course. Like can you read up on it and take a quick online something and pass?

1 Like

Hi! I believe that USC sent out their music audition invites for the Popular Music program this past week.

1 Like

I guess I need to ask my son to check carefully through his email. I don’t think he’s heard.

The music theory tests are almost never part of the acceptance/rejection element. At all schools that I know, it is for placement purposes only.

Of course, you should double check but that has been my family’s experience.

@CC_Jon can you help this user change their username?

1 Like

Congratulations on being invited for an audition. It’s hard to know the percentages of admit vs invite, but the fact that you were invited is a great sign that they think you might be a good fit. Good luck!

You can find more information on people’s experiences with auditions on previous years’ threads, as well. Generally (not sure about Oberlin), an audition is a bit like a lesson (although this can vary from school to school).

Once you play something, there might be some conversation or a suggestion—these are usually attempts to provide an opportunity to see what it might be like to work together. It’s usually best to try and enjoy any interaction you have; and to connect as humans!

1 Like

Sorry about the bad news but, yeah, that’s a lot (30 minutes)!

My son was told he had to take it by some date in February as soon as he got his application in. At Gettysburg/Sunderman he had to take a theory test(partially for placement, but he may end up taking an additional placement test if he goes there) and an aural skills test as part of the admission process.

1 Like

It appears there might be a mismatch between what he was told and what is on Gettysburg’s website, which says that both the theory and aural skills assessments are for placement purposes only, not admissions decision:

At the Sunderman Conservatory of Music we offer extensive training in music theory and musicianship. All auditioning students will take an online music theory assessment as well as an in-person (or virtual) aural skills assessment as part of the audition process. These assessments are not entrance exams, but are instead diagnostic in nature and determine where students begin the music theory sequence when they arrive on campus as Gettysburg College students.

@BoyFluteMom – they also provide a link to resources that can be useful for preparing for music theory assessments on their website. Music Theory Assessment - Sunderman Conservatory of Music - Gettysburg College

1 Like

Every applicant to the conservatory takes the theory test. It does not have bearing on admissions and is about placement. At Oberlin, if you score above an 80, you can skip the most basic theory level class, however, all students take at least 4 semesters of theory, so it makes little difference if you start at the basic level or one level up. You can also retake the exam if you are admitted and are attending.

3 Likes

That’s something I’ve wondered about–whether these acceptance rates we hear about are derived from everyone who applied or from those who were invited/requested to audition. I don’t think it helps figure out any particular instrument’s needs for the year, but I am curious.

1 Like

My guess is that they are derived from the number of applicants. Colleges like having low acceptance rates so I think they would use the largest denominator that they reasonable could.

2 Likes

Did your son apply to the Popular Music program? I thought you had said he was applying either for jazz or guitar?

I think in this case it was most likely to be from everyone who applied; the context was the professor sort of reassuring him that his audition had been good even though he was waitlisted…so giving the bigger number would have been the more effective way of doing that :slight_smile: …in general I think even having the numbers wouldn’t be that illuminating, though–at least at the schools my son was applying to and on his instrument, the number of new students every year is so tiny that predicting how things will go is impossible. ETA: and my impression is that different schools take very different approaches to how many people they let through the prescreen…i.e. your odds at one school once you pass the prescreen may be way different than at another

2 Likes

My son did end up applying to several (mostly lesser known) VP programs. He is in at 7 out of 16 so far academically.
He got his first Music acceptance today. U of Dayton.

Hes looking for an environment where he can continue to learn about music but also have solid other options. He wants a friendly environment. Perhaps the ability to join some musicals and club sports.

7 Likes

I know - that’s why I thought it was odd that he had to do them before his application would be considered complete. I didn’t get the impression that the exams were for admission, per se, yet they were required at the application stage and not just something one takes upon matriculation.