Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Yes! We had only a couple weeks to get ready to travel over 3K miles to Miami, which included everything from plane tickets and hotel to buying a new guitar case. At least we have the case now. :smiley:

1 Like

He should check Acceptd. I am not certain (it’s been a few years) but I think my son’s came through there. I’m pretty sure it was late December when we were notified. At least I booked tickets the first week of January.

Edited to add:
I just checked. He got an email that said he had a message in Acceptd. The email came from Acceptd Messaging and the subject line was “ the College of Music at the University of North Texas has sent you a message.

4 Likes

Thank you. This is really helpful.

1 Like

No from Eastman :(. Not sure he would have liked it, but still…

I’m sorry to hear that, but it sounds like it might be for the best if he wouldn’t have liked it. Parents can see, sometimes, that a school is not right, even though it seems exciting at first.

The next few weeks mark the end of the window to mess around with my son’s list. (I think some of you are past that point; a few of the contemporary and jazz programs still have deadlines in January and February.)

My kid is happy with his list, and I’m letting go of trying to control the universe. Haha! We have a few we can definitely afford, and at two of those, he’s been admitted to the universities (waiting on auditions). I think he will have good options to choose from. I’m going to try to relax a little bit before the next phase–the auditions and early decisions. I appreciate being able to come here and relate.

6 Likes

That seems sensible!

At the ones where he has already been admitted to the university, can he petition into the music program after he arrives, in the off chance that he doesn’t get a direct admit into the music program?

2 Likes

One of them, yes. Also, at a couple of schools where you get the decision all at once, he has indicated second choice majors. Hopefully, this won’t be an issue :slight_smile: but it’s good to be prepared.

Congrats @BeverlyWest!

I encouraged my D to add at least one more choice as she did not pass prescreens at one of her three institutions and we’re waiting on an answer from one more. I’m hoping she’ll get those additional applications done by the end of next week! It seems a shame not to have anywhere to go if auditions don’t go her way. But I’m also counting on her to make those decisions and hoping that, if nothing else, the journey will result in clarity and fortitude. She’ll know herself and the world a little better in any case.

And there are so many ways to build a life with music! Good luck to your son!

2 Likes

I just want you to know that my D had several friends do a second round for grad school. It is really hard to get it done during senior year. Some students did do a smaller list…bc they wanted that or didn’t really have the time/attn to the process. Some decided to wait a year to audition. All made strides during their year off and were happy with the results. My D did go straight through…but she made adjustments based on her UG experience and her performance goals changed. She actually had a fairly long list as she was looking at 2 directions and seeing what would happen.

The good thing about grad school…is not everyone goes right away. So there is not the pressure like UG. She can try…check it out…and if she gets the results she wants, go…if not, take the year off and make the second attempt. It will not hurt her chances of admission the second year as it so common to wait a year or two.

I’ll hope that she gets the best results this year. Still, the funnel does narrow for each rung upward so…no big deal if she needs a second attempt. It’s quite common.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your response! This is a helpful frame of mind to remember as D receives results and figures out her next step. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks. I think I’m more concerned given that he hasn’t been able to get in touch with anyone at Oberlin in order to set up an in-person time, probably because of the winter break, but given how little time before the auditions I would hope someone would check phone or email. We really would rather go in person to that one. I think things mightn’t have been clear when he was uploading pre-screening recordings about final rounds.

I tried to ask if he wanted to add a school or two while there’s still time(I think Shenandoah is still accepting applications, and the LAC with good music haven’t closed yet) but he says he’s good with the two he is in so far.

He fell in love with Eastman’s performance spaces and interior architecture on the virtual tour. He has a friend from a festival who is there but on another instrument.

I’m curious - How does one make enough progress for grad schools if one is working and all the teachers are teaching at institutions? So many of great teachers are attached to institutions. I have visions of full-time jobs and then trying to get practice time in.

I am sorry-- but onward and upward. I said this last year and I’ll say it again-- posting the good news and the not-so-good news is appreciated and very helpful to others in the same boat.

Your student will find their place!

5 Likes

“The good thing about grad school…is not everyone goes right away. So there is not the pressure like UG.”

As always, I agree with @bridgenail . But I’d also encourage those of you applying, or with kids applying, to UG not to put pressure on yourselves/them. Apply to schools you’d like to attend - you’ll find the right place. And if you end up with a gap year, it’s not something to fear. My son did a gap year between high school and college and it was tremendously beneficial for both his musical development and his networking. He met older musicians who took him under wing and musicians his age from the local music schools with whom he still performs. Also agree with @Baribassmom that posting both the good news and the not-so-good news is incredibly helpful (not to mention courageous).

Good luck to everyone!

4 Likes

Some students stayed by their college and took lessons from their UG teachers. Also, most “performers” (even in orchestras) do private lessons for talented musicians. They don’t seem to be “captive” of the institution and unable to teach on the side. In major cities, there are also “schools” with teachers that work with adult performers.

My D has taken (on and off) from a teacher (collaborative pianist) who works at an opera house. He teaches as well. This is quite common. She’s also doing zoom lessons right now from a guy in NY (referred to). She’s always taking some sort of lessons to keep fresh and continue to improve. She’s 30 now and performs and teaches too, mainly high schoolers. There are always seasoned performers/teachers available for all skill levels.

And for VP, getting older really helps. The instrument is inside your body…and time helps it develop. Sopranos often develop more quickly…but not always. So, often vocalists take a year or two off…do some performing at local or regional theaters and take private lessons to continue to develop their voice. I’m not sure with instrumentalists…but for vocalists….some wait until mid to late 20s for grad school auditions. So it is competitive for grad school bc you can be competing with older students (which doesn’t really happen for UG). I don’t know if that has any impact on instrumentalists…getting older…maybe not.

4 Likes

One of the most popular male performers in my D’s city didn’t go to college at all. He does MT work so it is different than classical. My D auditions right next to him. Of course, he can’t get some of the work that my D can (classical/opera) but he’s consistently hired in the city.

A good reminder that there are many ways to make it in music performance. Sometimes you have a route in mind…and this process tells you “no” and sends you in a different direction. That’s OK. If your kid keeps working it, they’ll find their way. There can be a lot of zig zags (at least there has been for my D…and it’s all worked out).

6 Likes

Thanks @bridgenail @jazzpianodad and @Baribassmom for the information and the perspective check. I think it’s so hard when you don’t know, as a performer, if you didn’t make it through because of something that is lacking in your videos or if it is for factors independent of current performance capabilities. Throw in the huge financial cost of higher education, even with good scholarships, and the whole process becomes overwhelming.

2 Likes

It is hard not to get consumed by this process. That is normal. It happened to me. Still keep in mind the following:

1.). Your kid is getting a college degree. Be it a BA, BS or BM. It’s still a college degree. Be sure to keep that in mind when looking at the price tag. What is a reasonable cost to your family/kid for a college degree? Where will your kid grow the most and by HAPPY? Happiness is so important to growth. And with a bachelor’s degree, your kid will find their way in life (trust me…at 22 with a bachelor’s, you won’t feel too worried about them).

2.). You can’t buy success. No school has a golden ticket. Sure, a premium for the right school/teacher may make sense. But a big price tag with lots of debt when there is a better, financial option? Maybe not. They can try again for grad school. And, a school offering some money and enthusiasm can make all the difference regardless of your initial impressions.

3.). You’ll need “blind faith” to get through this process. At some point, you’ll need to just give it up to the music gods and try to stop figuring it out (except the travel schedule…that’ll be on you lol). You need to forget the daunting numbers. You’ll need to stop questioning why a certain school said “no”…you’ll never know. You’ll need to ignore tardy/half communication. And, you’ll need to put your faith in your 17 or 18 year old…who can’t remember to pick up milk when you ask them 3 times. It’s scary. But your kid probably has a sense of where they belong. They don’t want to be over their head and embarrass themselves. They often feel more confident than you bc they are interacting with professors, the program and other students (hopefully watching videos, performances etc)…so you’ll need to trust them.

It does all work out in the end. It can get pretty messy…but if you just have faith in your kid and the process…somehow it works.

6 Likes

Well D got her first “no” (CCM) today and survived! It was fortunately softened by a “yes” for Eastman! One of her top loves!

Oberlin yes
CIM yes
Rice yes
San Francisco yes
NEC yes
Juilliard yes
Eastman yes

CCM no

4 more to go…

9 Likes