Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

BU decisions are out! Earlier than we expected…

D23 got into BU College of Fine Arts with their modest but much appreciated merit award, I am assuming she got into the flute studio she wanted to join, led by Linda Toote.

She also got into BU’s Kilachand Honors College with the Presidential Scholarship.

7 Likes

It was interesting to us as well because when you think of gigging you think of Nashville! He also didn’t want to add the additional requirement of community service onto his plate…We really were pulling at strings to make it fit for him but ultimately it really wasn’t a fit.

2 Likes

Hi! Yes my son visited last week. School is very pretty and the programs seem great, but he was very much put off by the vibe and religious aspect, and it’s been firmly crossed off the list.
And I think probably the saturation of musicians is a valid concern, however good the connections might be. Good luck to one and all!

2 Likes

My daughter (soprano) is so excited! She got into Boston University with merit which covers 80% of the total cost to attend. We were shocked and thrilled!!! :smile:

6 Likes

This is amazing news! Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Amazing! congratulations to your daughter!!!

2 Likes

Got notice this morning that my son was not accepted to Curtis. Bummer. They did encourage him to audition again next year as this year was an extraordinarily high number of auditions. That’s an interesting thought that we might pursue.

2 Likes

D23 just got an email about $30,000 merit award at Bienen. We are in shock, I thought NU does not give merit aid… They have her $5,000 a year as a financial aid award yesterday with the acceptance letter.

8 Likes

WOW!! Congrats! BU is my alma mater (COM not CFA) but I am thrilled for your daughter!

3 Likes

Congrats! They give a very small number of undergrad music merit awards. That’s fabulous!

4 Likes

I see some Carnegie Mellon acceptances in the mix. My son is a senior there though in Mechanical Engineering. But if anyone has any questions about the school in general, I’m happy to try to answer.

5 Likes

That’s amazing!! Congrats!

2 Likes

It seems like the odds were slim for Curtis (I had heard they take a VERY small amount of students) . I have not heard from my daughter if she has heard from them and I’m afraid to ask her. Sorry to hear it was a no for your son but nice to get that bit of encouragement from them as well!

3 Likes

Curtis is an extremely high reach-- they take only a few undergrads for voice each year (some years only one or two). He did fantastic to get as far as he did! I am sure you are proud and he should be too!

2 Likes

Is that a good thing or a bad thing from her perspective?

1 Like

That’s wonderful news! Congratulations!!!

1 Like

From her perspective it’s an end of the world tragedy. :weary:. I’ve been doing some research and looking back at previous years, the people I found that were waitlisted all ended up getting in. Eastman asked her to let them know if she was still interested and she did, they then sent back what I thought was a very thoughtful response with detailed info about their waitlist process. It seems somewhat promising to me. We will see.

Now waiting on that Curtis result which may well send her over the edge as from what I understand the odds are very very slight.

Fabulous!

1 Like

I know it varies from school to school, but my understanding is that the waistlist means that a student is both admissible and a good fit. Then it’s just luck. The UNCG prof(who is an Oberlin alum) was surprised my son was waitlisted and thought he would get in off the waitlist. Son applied double-degree; wonder what will happen if he says no to the College…

When the prof was a student, he had transferred from NEC to Oberlin; not sure why. So transfers are options, too, if students find themselves at a school that doesn’t fit.

1 Like

I also think that motivated musicians will find gigging opportunities in most places, especially other large towns and cities! Good luck to your son! <3