Class of 28 Undergrad/Class of 26 Grad: a thread to capture the journey of applications, pre screens, tours and auditions

Ah thank you

1 Like

Yes. S24 is going to ED at one school but apply EA for several others. My understanding though is that the REA schools are not the same. You cannot ED somewhere and apply REA somewhere else and you are not allowed to EA to private schools unless they require it for their scholarship applications

2 Likes

Yes - yoi can apply outside the US and still REA

1 Like

Question about recommendations. S24 has a had the same teacher for the past 6 years at precollege who knows him very very well. For LACs and other schools with music supplements that donā€™t specifically ask for a music recommendation, is it good to submit one? He can also get one from a conductor who loves him and knew him as a little dude and as a high school junior. Is this over doing it? Should he ask the schools if they want it in common app or in the music supplement? He will submit for audition based programs since their directions are clear.

My kid is submitting a rec from his piano teacher for LACs that accept an optional arts recommender (and submitting the ones from his horn teacher and an ensemble director only for music applications), but if he didnā€™t have the piano teacher (he played piano first, so sheā€™s known him the longest of anyone) heā€™d probably submit the horn teacher recommendation in those cases. I donā€™t think an optional recommendation is going to hurt at all if the school allows it on the common appā€“they wouldnā€™t accept them if they didnā€™t want to see them! Caveat that my kid is homeschooled so I always figure the more outside validation the betterā€¦but I think it would apply with a kid in school, too. I wouldnā€™t submit a lackluster/generic arts recommendation just to submit one, but if thereā€™s someone who knows the student very well and will say glowing things, I think it can only help. Ohā€“just saw that youā€™re asking about submitting two extra recsā€¦I THINK most schools will only take one optional one on the common app? It should be clear on the common app how many they want/will accept.

1 Like

Thanks, my question was two part so you definitely answered the first part. Send one letter at least. I am also wondering if he should ask the school if they want it in the common app or the arts supplement.

My kid submitted two music letters of recommendation for BA programs at some very selective schools and I am sure they were key in her acceptances. If in doubt, I would ask the school what is accepted and how best to submit.

2 Likes

We are slowly getting through it, applying to 6 schools total, 3 conservatories and 3 colleges.

I do have a question: does anyone have advice or examples of how to format a repertoire list for a classical instrument?

I was thinking there should be categories (solo, orchestral, chamber, etc.) with an alphabetical list by composer under each category.

Or just one big alphabetical list?

That is how S24 did it. First solo (current then selected previous) , then chamber. He did not include orchestral

1 Like

Yes it is how DD24 did it too but she did include orchestral where the rep incl significant solos and/or when it was in major concert venues/national ensembles

2 Likes

DD24 has finally reduced her list to a more manageable 8 US colleges/conservatoires but they are all duel programme currently; ED for an Ivy (such a very long shot) is nearly ready with supplementary material to be recorded early next week . Itā€™s such a busy term am not quite sure how we will get through it in one piece.

@kokotg DD has had her instrumental teacherā€™s recommendation added to her overall recommender where a supplementary reference isnā€™t allowed. This has been a requirement for a couple of schools - the conservatoires have been easier to handle in that regard

2 Likes

My son only included solo works in rep lists unless asked otherwise. Solo rep was divided into categories such as concerto, sonata or piece with piano, showpiece/virtuosic, unaccompanied, and etudes/caprices. Alphabetized by composer.

This was for a string player. For winds/brass, listing orchestral solos may be important. I donā€™t really know! Itā€™s definitely not necessary for strings unless you did something like the viola solo in Harold in Italy or the violin solo in Ein Heldenleben.

TY! D is double bass so most work is orchestral, a few solo and chamber

Itā€™s been a long while since my son did his repertoire sheetā€¦but he is a trumpet player. He included orchestral works where he was principal trumpet (and so noted it). Then did all chamber, and solo work as well.

He thought I was nuts because I kept all of his programs, but when the time came to do this repertoire listingā€¦he was sure glad I had them.

Itā€™s been a long while since my kid did his undergrad auditions, but I love reading the annual thread about the current musicians and what they are doing. Itā€™s very exciting, for sure.

4 Likes

My sonā€™s teacher last year told him that he should have name dropped her after he was not offered a lesson by a well-known pedagogue who is a friend of hers. She was peeved. It never would have occured to him to name drop in that context.

2 Likes

Visit report for those interested:

We visited Wheaton College on Tuesday. They did a great job of scheduling our day, and on the tour I realized some students even spent the night. We began with a general college tour followed by chapel (which is required, three days a week). Then, we had lunch tickets followed by a tour of the music school and a meeting with a composition professor. My son did not have to reach out individually for the appointment. When he scheduled the visit, the form had a number of questions for him to answer so that they could tailor it.

The music conservatory is impressive. They have a brand new facility; it reminded me a lot of Shepherd School of Music at Rice, just smaller, and it is beautiful. Wheaton values the arts, and it shows. The building had a number of visual art pieces that positively added to the feel of the space. The program is well funded as demonstrated by the new building and the fact that they awarded roughly $2M to the BM students last year! They are also looking to grow their program by adding to the number of students accepted/enrolled each year. At the same time, they have a lot of faculty and are able to keep the student to faculty ratio low. Though I canā€™t remember the exact number, it was definitely less than 10:1, and itā€™s all undergraduates. The meeting my son had with the professor went very well, and we basically got the impression that if he applied, heā€™d be accepted. Wheaton doesnā€™t do in-person auditions/interviews for Composition majors, so it was definitely worth the visit.

It IS a Christian school. We have a long-time friend who started there this year and we were able to meet up with her. She did comment that it isnā€™t as conservative as she expected it to be - that may or may not be a good thing for you and your family. But, I think it is worth mentioning. We found the students to be friendly, warm, and happy - teasing our tour guide as they passed by, hanging together in various places, including in the music conservatory building. In the end, it now ranks as one of his top choices. If Wheaton aligns with your values, I would highly recommend a visit and consideration.

We also visited New England Conservatory. The experience was a little disappointing. Son had tried reaching out to several of the composition professors (based on the advice from the admissions counselor to which he is assigned) without any response, so that was a bummer. It was the first school at which no one ever returned his emails. The tour guide was a first year graduate student so she really couldnā€™t answer the questions a typical first year undergraduate student might ask, not to mention it was her first semester there! Donā€™t get me wrong; she did a great job. But having a first year graduate student as a tour guide wasnā€™t ideal. Additionally, itā€™s no surprise that the buildings are old. The first area we toured was the old residence hall that had been ā€œrenovatedā€ to become practice rooms. I say renovated in quotes because it essentially looked like they had just pulled out all of the furniture and they must have installed some acoustic materials, but that was it. Fortunately, the residence hall is a brand new building, and it was bright and cheerful, and Jordan Hall is beautiful.

Weā€™ll be visiting Curtis later this month, and then weā€™re done with campus visits. Neither Wheaton nor Curtis have in-person interviews and/or live auditions with Composition majors, so we felt it was important to visit them. The other schools to which he will be applying do offer in-person auditions/interviews, so we will wait until he is (hopefully) invited to tour those campuses.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

7 Likes

FYI, Curtis has free student recitals several evenings of the week starting next week. You do need to reserve tickets ahead of time on the Curtis website. Itā€™s a great way to see the beautiful and historic mansion and recital hall. And the recitals are wonderful.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Weā€™ll look into it. However, this trip is a quick up and back for us.

Back from a visit to UGA, which has, somewhat unexpectedly, risen to near the top of his list now. They put together a great day for him, with a lesson with both horn professors, sitting in on horn choir, horn studio, lunch and tour with a bunch of current studentsā€¦Iā€™m impressed that they devoted so much time to him when heā€™s just a prospective student. Heā€™s always said he wants a smaller school, but I encouraged him to think of the music school as a smaller school within a big school, and I guess that worked. Really hoping he gets in EA there (he should unless thereā€™s weirdness about homeschooling) because heā€™ll hear back about that before ED at Vanderbilt, so it would be a nice way to cushion the blow if he doesnā€™t get in there (heā€™d still need to audition for music in January or February)

7 Likes

They shouldnā€™t be weird about homeschoolers. We are a pretty significant population here in GA. :wink:

1 Like