Class of 28 Undergrad/Class of 26 Grad: a thread to capture the journey of applications, pre screens, tours and auditions

Does anyone have a sense of when to submit RD prescreens? Is earlier better? S24 has to submit Vanderbilt/Blair application this week to apply for scholarships but prescreens arent due until 1/1. He could always wait and keep practicing, but is there any benefit to sending everything in sooner?

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any benefit other than not having to think about them/obsess over them anymore!

1 Like

Hi some of DDā€™s are 1/12 for RD so i guess itā€™s schools dependent? Some say they will get audition invites out on a rolling basis (but everyone looked at equally) so if you want early news i guess you may as well submit early if ready?

1 Like

first time posting on here! iā€™m applying as a transfer flute performance/art history/english major to a few schools and iā€™m considering adding more to the list! iā€™m currently at a t20 school with a 4.0 gpa as an intended history and english major with music and chinese minors. hereā€™s my list:

boston university
carnegie mellon
eastman/uroch (number two)
usc (number three)
bard
vanderbilt
nyu (did a lesson with their professor and really connected)
depaul
barnard/msm (only auditioning for the cross-registration program)
yale (delusional top choice!)
harvard (delusional top choice!)
dartmouth
brown
cornell
upenn
princeton
stanford
case western

i have a pretty good shot at nyu but iā€™m really nervous about the rest!

2 Likes

We always made sure the prescreens were in before scholarship deadline. Avoid debt if you can. If the videos are ready send them in.

1 Like

I think that is key! Vandy told him that the scholarships donā€™t depend on the pre-screens being in but I think if he can be ready it does make sense to just submit it all by the scholarship deadline!

@centaurbored2 I am confused by your list. And by your desire to do music performance and art history and English. Some schools on your list have BM programs but others donā€™t. In other words some donā€™t have a performance degree. I donā€™t understand what you want. Are you thinking of a double degree?

You might want to read the Double Degree Dilemma essay in the Read Me thread here on this music major forum.

For someone with varied interests, the best bet might be a BA with continued lessons and extracurricular performance,or a double degree. Any chance you would be better off staying where you are?

That is a pretty long list! NYU is expensive: is that okay with you?

2 Likes

:tada: :tada:All of DSā€™s applications are in! :tada: :tada:

HUGE weight off his shoulders! His final list was Curtis, Eastman, CIM, Rice, Jacobs, Florida State Univ. and Wheaton. FSU has you schedule your audition with the application, but everywhere else is based on passing the prescreen. Let the waiting begin!

5 Likes

We are almost there! For undergrad double bass finished:

University of Michigan
Oberlin
USC
DePaul
Northwestern

Juilliard: one more video essay which you have to record on their platform

Curtis: Due Dec 15 so the kid is going to to try to record more ā€œperfectā€ prescreens. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Ah yes! Gotta love having a musician in the familyā€¦the recording is always ā€œnot quite perfect.ā€ Such a relief when they are uploaded and sent. And no longer subject to critique by the kid.

2 Likes

yes, S24 has one more to record again for Northwestern which is due tomorrow, save me!

4 Likes

Last piece for Eastman still in progress but all the paperwork done :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Anyone else auditioning for Frost Saturday?

Noā€¦but best of luck as you start your audition season! :blush:

Not us - good luck!

Last minute decision to go for UoMich last night with two Extra recordings !

2 Likes

Gotta love last minute perfectionist musicians, S24 had one orchestra excerpt that was not right so he decided to record both of them again last night, submitted 4 hours before the deadline. I am not looking forward to how many times he will record scales! Prescreens almost done!

4 Likes

Just walk around the house singing ā€œLet it Go!ā€ from Frozen, slightly off key. :rofl:

1 Like

I find it interesting that some music schools are extending deadlines like CIM and Eastman.

Also NEC extended deadlines - wondering if just trying to protect yield or did enough applicants apply? My daughter is a violinist did not apply to any of these