Clemson Class of 2024

@pegagain Sounds like quite the Tiger family. Regardless of where I end up attending, I plan on living in the Carolinas following graduation. The area presents a variety of opportunities for any career field. Is Clemson your son’s #1 or is he waiting to decide between the two (UTK and Clemson)?

@hardy8635 we visited Auburn… it was recommended to us as “if you like Clemson you should check out Auburn”… but we are in VA and one major downside was the distance. Auburn campus was lovely and we had a good trip and her favorite campus restaurant was Taco Mama from all the trips to different schools. But I think we both felt Auburn wasn’t the right fit. She felt UTK would have been her option over Auburn (if she didn’t get into Clemson) and she just opted not to apply knowing she was safe to get into UTK. Honestly the feel was just more superficial on the tour. The guide was more like “my whole family attending and I could never see myself anywhere else” . The traditions were fun but we didn’t learn as much about the campus and culture to make an impression. The housing situation wasn’t great And we heard that there is a lot of pressure to drive the right car or wear the right clothes and maybe that is just anecdotal. While at UTK, we learned all about the volunteer spirit and the torchbearer and our guide was from Southern California. I mean why do you go to Tennessee if you are from SoCal… he really helped sell the school. And once we looked into it and learned more it just felt like a better fit than Auburn for us. DD also got into Penn State but I can’t get her to want to go back there. I think it’s the weather mostly and the worry about it feeling gray and blah some of the time and the size being overwhelming. (she definitely wants OOS and she has already declined Indiana). She won’t have to take out loans. If she did we would probably choose UTK just to be smart financially.

Clemson is #1 but it is a stretch. The stats they want for gpa n sat are so high now. But luckily he loved UTK too.

My boarding hack changed on the 28th I believe, does anyone have an idea of the specific date that they fixed it? I’m kind of on the fence about whether I’d get an acceptance: 4.0 W GPA and 1410 SAT, applied to nursing from NC. I went to a school for a year that did not offer any honors/AP classes and it brought my GPA down, I’m graduating with IB credits this year though.

Clemson, GT, and UVA…and no VT…tsk tsk

Also for those not aware… the Factbook is very interesting help you see what the admission rate is for different programs for in state and out of state students. You can click on admissions and also see info on enrollment per program

https://www.clemson.edu/institutional-effectiveness/oir/factbook/

We don’t know if it is even fixed now on their end as someone just reported still getting a “no token found”

If your boarding hack changed back on 28th to “token doesn’t match one on record” you should feel pretty good that your going to see a big packet.

Thanks so much! I’ve been anxiously awaiting this, Clemson was the only school that I toured and got genuinely excited about. My dad is an alumn and has always said I would just get a “feeling” when I found the right one. He has a way to check where we will be getting mail from and has been checking every day for me! Good luck to everyone, we’re in the home stretch of the waiting game.

I agree … leaving one of the best off

@hardy8635 Looked at all three. UTK and Clemson are similar in so many ways, not surprised to read what @katcap said, my kid had the same reactions at Clemson and then again at UTK. The physical layout, school history, orange or die, Greek on campus, academic opportunities at all levels, the list goes on. Loved Auburn too, but for the academics more than the school experience. What UTK has that Clemson didn’t is Knoxville right there. It is an eclectic, welcoming, up and coming city. Safe, friendly and more easily accessible. With that said, we are in at Clemson, waiting for Honors and aid information, but UTK would be a great 1st or 2nd choice.

UVA or VT* is my best bet; I applied to both Techs.

Ok - we can be friends again. :wink:

Are you in state or OOS?

Along with the posts about “Why Clemson?” – we are in Ohio and my daughter–a huge football fan–found Clemson in elementary school when she started following the story of a high school kid named Deshaun Watson. The next fall we stopped by Clemson while on vacation and said hello to my friend’s daughter who was a freshman and I think we all fell in love with the culture, atmosphere, and people. We came back again and again and my daughter had her first admissions visit in 6th grade–no lie–when we stopped by the office. She joined IPTAY on her own when she was 14 and we’ve made numerous visits for Spring Blitz, tours, football, basketball, and baseball games. Beyond the culture, it’s an excellent education. Graduates I know speak glowingly of Clemson. My daughter wants to go to medical school and the advising team we met with really goes out of their way to help the students.

Thankfully my daughter was accepted in November and is waiting to hear her merit award and if she was accepted into Honors. Her second choice is Auburn and we all absolutely loved Auburn–and the nice scholarship–as well. Right behind is University of Kentucky where our son is which is another terrific school. She also really liked UTK and was accepted into their honors program, as well as UGA. We hope everything will work out for her but I know she will be happy wherever she lands!

Does anyone know if Clemson has officially started sending out packets? Someone mentioned that a friend of theirs received their packet the other day. I know there’s a time frame range of when everyone should be finding out, but just curious if the packets are actually in the mail yet.

@jse1820 We own a vacation home near Clemson and so many people in our community are from Ohio. You will feel very at home!

Thanks @pegagain! I have a good friend who now lives in Easley so I know there would be someone nearby that could help in a pinch. I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up retiring somewhere in this area. It is beautiful.

@jse1820 that’s our plan – SC retirement. If you end up in Clemson join these facebook groups: Clemson University Parents and Clemson Mom Carmen. Great resources. Carmen is a local mom who mobilizes other parents and kids to help out in crises – right now they are delivering Sick Kid bags all over campus to everyone with the flu. She has tons of great recommendations on local stuff. Soooo helpful.

@drewh02 Yes my hack changed yesterday around 3 pm… nervous that’s a bad sign since it changed once Clemson “fixed” the hack