Clout helps at neighboring Big 10 school.

<p>Hmmm… I’ve been responding to barrons and others. If they didn’t want to discuss the Madison Initiative surcharge, they shouldn’t have brought it up and/or continued the discussion.</p>

<p>I’m a current UW student and I too am fed up with the Initiative – I’m not thrilled with Biddy’s decision making but I also feel like there’s nothing that could have been done about it on the students’/public’s end. To me, this was a rushed and premature attempt to remedy the current economic situation as it relates to UW students. However, I have to question some of the points made here.</p>

<p>Why should the OOS tuition surcharge be the same as the in-state tuition surcharge? OOS tuition doesn’t cost the same as in-state tuition, thus you can’t really assert that this hike is unbalanced. Such is life when you’re in the market for an OOS education. I don’t approve of the Board of Regent’s vote on the Initiative, but the tuition surcharges come with the territory - no pun intended. Why should OOS students receive a break here? That’s in no way fair to students with residency or reciprocity.</p>

<p>kimu08, in-state and OOS students pay the same tuition surcharge for UW’s Engineering and Business Schools. There’s no differential in those surcharges, so why is there an in-state/OOS differential in the Madison Initiative surcharge?</p>

<p>carmelojello15–Amen. We have already wasted too much time with Jiffsmom. Bye Bye.</p>

<p>JiffsMom, there’s a difference between a surcharge for a specific program that the student elects to enroll in, such as the School of Business or Engineering, and UW itself. The Initiative surcharge demonstrates a direct relationship with traditional tuition costs - in state tuition is less than out of state tuition, thus the Initiative surcharge is less for in state students. It simply comes down to being one of the privileges of being a Wisconsin resident.</p>

<p>No comments on the gagged researcher/prof - the one who disclosed this: “I was contacted the night before the initiative was rolled out by vice provost for enrollment management Joanne Berg, who informed me of the news and told me to refer all press inquiries to the University Communications office.” Is gagging researchers/profs business as usual at UW? Or is that a new thing, Biddy Martin’s administration’s modus operandi?</p>

<p>

[The</a> Education Optimists: I (Finally) Figured Out Why I Want Tenure](<a href=“http://eduoptimists.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-finally-figured-out-why-i-want-tenure.html]The”>The Education Optimists: I (Finally) Figured Out Why I Want Tenure)</p>

<p>Are you all okay with the deliberate disregard of relevant research, refusal to consider or adopt better policy designs, and the attempted silencing of dissenting scholarly opinion?</p>

<p>I know, I know, barrons - you want me to pay up and shut up, or get lost. That type of mentality may be exactly why an open, honest debate never took place before the initiative was adopted.</p>

<p>Please make it stop.</p>