Why does Wisconsin hate OOS students?

<p>So I recently interviewed for a Chicago Alumni club scholarship after becoming a finalist, and all on the same day, I find out that I didn't get the Wisconsin scholarship of $5,000 per year, and didn't receive a scholarship from Ohio State that I competed for (Maximus which is abou $10,000 per year). In the same week, I learn that Wash U waitlisted me, and I receive absolutely no money in financial aid except for $3,500 in unsubsidized federal loans which EVERYONE gets because those loans aren't based on financial need. Now, I'm not rich enough to afford going anywhere I want, but I'm not poor enough to receive financial aid. I'm from Illinois, and I reallly don't want to go to U of I, and it seems like Wisconsin doesn't cater to OOS kids? Does all their money go to in-state kids? It seems like it anyway....</p>

<p>I would imagine that the Wisconsin taxpayers (hence politicians - hence university policymakers) like to see their tax dollars supporting Wisconsin students. I'm not from Wisconsin but I can see the same thing happening in any state university system.</p>

<p>I'm from illinois, and I can definitely see the opposite. U of I- urbana champagne loves OOS kids because they bring in more money. The school is critically underfunded because of Illinois' ruinous tax system. I guess Wisconsin is abiding by its unwritten obligation to Wisconsin residents, but I'm disappointed that not all public state schools feel the same way...</p>

<p>You can apply for loans. Trust me, if you want to go to school, there are tons of lenders who will be more than happy to loan you their money. </p>

<p>Student loans will probably be the cheapest you ever get, so don't be too afraid to use them, imo.</p>

<p>As for hating OOS students, I don't see any evidence of that. I'm an OOS student and I'm not bothered by the fact that they're not giving me money. They give it to instate students to keep the top of the class from Wisconsin from going elsewhere. That's part of what makes UWisc such a high-caliber school.</p>

<p>It's that high caliber that attracted me, not the money they hand out. </p>

<p>For example, my state's schools (primarily Arizona State University, and the University of Arizona) use the same guidelines as the Illinois schools to attract OOSers. They attract them with money and cheap tuition, but they have a low quality of education and VERY few high-ranked Arizona high school seniors stay here because they know how bad the schools suck.</p>

<p>So, it seems to me that Wisconsin's policy has worked extraordinarily well. Sure, it's expensive for us today, but think about the benefits we get tomorrow. </p>

<p>Sorry for the long, and somewhat insensitive post, but I don't think any of us should just expect the money.</p>

<p>UW has way more OOS students than UI. Always has so they must be doing something right. If you do well there will be money later as the depts give it to their best students.</p>

<p>My mother is childhood friends with the Director of Financial Aid at UW.. and yes, although UW does love OOS kids cause they bring in more tuition money (perhaps she was just joking with me cause I'm OOS) they do remain highly committed to the in state kids as well. This being said, the message I got from her was that both OOS and IS are treated rather equally in regards to financial aid money and scholarships.. but that there just is NOT enough money to go around to everyone who needs some.</p>

<p>my tuition came out to half of what my parents make in a year and UW didnt give me a dime to work with, im OOS.
im hoping that changes this semester or i will have to drop out.</p>

<p>its so easy to just tell a student to apply for loans and everything will be ok, thats so far from the truth. why should i want to leave school with over 100k in debt before i even work my first career? its just not feasible, especially for those of us who are going into a job we will like instead of one that will bring in a ton of cash (im doing exercise science) so i will be absolutely broke for atleast the next 10 years of my post college life because what im not spending on rent or other necessities, im spending on paying back the loaners, and that doesnt take into account what i will be paying at grad school. </p>

<p>you cant just say oh take out all the loans you need and everything will be dandy, thats not how it works.</p>

<p>if you really wanted to go to Wisconsin and that was your only option to go there, then you'd have to live with that decision. Or you could pick a school that's offering you money. All I was trying to say is that it's not impossible to go there. The financial consideration is important for almost everybody.</p>

<p>im assuming your parents are footing the bill for you. be happy, you dont know what its like to have to pay it yourself.</p>

<p>I'm paying a large part of the cost. At the very least I'll be paying 1/2 because I gave up a full-ride in-state.</p>

<p>and btw, I'm not questioning your decision at all. I have no place in trying to tell you otherwise. </p>

<p>My responses were geared toward the topic creator.</p>

<p>
[quote]
it seems like Wisconsin doesn't cater to OOS kids?

[/quote]

Well, the short answers are both yes and no. </p>

<p>Yes because many scholarships (open for incoming freshmen) are restricted to Wisconsin residents. </p>

<p>No because a greater amount of scholarships do not have the residency requirement but come with other set of restrictions, e.g. enrollment in a specific department/school, which make the monies out of reach (at least temporarily) for OOS freshmen. </p>

<p>There is where the alumni clubs try to step in. OP is very fortunate that he is eligible for the Chicago Club Scholarship which is one of the most generous offers for OOS. I wish OP all the best there.</p>

<p>Continued...</p>

<p>Wisconsin does have a pool of unrestricted scholarship monies that are used to recruit a few selected OOS students. The word "few" is relative. I hope most people recognize the fact that the Wisconsin incoming freshmen class is larger than the incoming classes of HYP + Northwestern/Chicago combined and that the top quartile of Wisconsin class is as competitive as any other "elite" schools. With an endowment a faction of their competitors, much of the scholarship monies go to keeping the top Wisconsin students in state while "stealing" away a few elsewhere.</p>

<p>Wisconsin could have limited their freshmen class to the size of, say, UNC, Virginia or Berkeley, and meets the financial need of every accepted student. Keeping the class small will raise Wisconsin's ranking considerably, too. But, doing so would mean accepting only a small percentage of students on this forum and goes against the very Wisconsin Idea that defines Wisconsin. If the administrators choose to do so, they will incite riots in every Badgers-land on earth.</p>

<p>I don't have comforting words for OOS students who are quite near the top and come from less privileged families. Personally, I don't recommend taking out a $30K+ a year loan to attend Wisconsin although the education worths every penny. As a compromise, I will recommend spending the first two years in one's in-state flagship (or a quality CC) and then transferring to Wisconsin during/after sophomore because of its transfer friendly policy. Consider taking some non-major classes during summer at your hometown state colleges. For those in engineering/business, definitely do at least one co-op and one internship which will help a lot financially (and gain the definite experience edge in job hunt). If your program doesn't have a formal co-op program, try starting one while you are there. Wisconsin alums are at high offices in many places and they will not hesitate to make something happen when being approached correctly.</p>

<p>If this helps, some of the alum clubs are following the Chicago Club's lead, raising local money and setting up their own scholarship foundation. I am personally involved in one of these initiatives but it will still take a few more years for things to really happen to our students.</p>

<p>we arent talking about scholarships, we are talking about financial aid, aid awarded by the state/government to families who arent as privileged as most of the coasties around here, and cant feasibly take out loans to support the college education.</p>

<p>in state students pay 3365 a semester, out of state students pay 10365, yet in state students are the ones that get i would say in upwards of 80% of the aid awarded, isnt there something wrong with that?
hell why not do away with tuition for in state students all together and just raise ours, you are already screwing out of state students as it is, why not go the whole way?</p>

<p>and they want to raise tuition even more, as if being the second highest funded university in the COUNTRY wasnt enough, why not tack on a few extra hundred to every student here while giving them nothing to show for it except a fancy name on a degree and a new building that we wont be here to make use of. wonderful, thats the way to look after your students.</p>

<p>the majority of scholarships are pointless (500 dollars, thanks, now if i can just get that other 99,500 from somewhere....), and the ones that arent are so exclusive and sought after that i wouldnt have a chance given my average GPA.</p>

<p>tsi... again, I'm not entirely familiar with your situation, nor the residency requirements for Wisconsin, but would it be possible for you to get an apartment in Madison or in Wisconsin somewhere and then try to claim residency? Sometimes you have to get a job for that type of thing, but if you were to do it over the summer maybe you could claim residency?</p>

<p>You probably can't, and you've probably looked into it... but who knows?</p>

<p>you have to live in wisconsin for 1 year without going to school. my parents own property in wisconsin, have for several years, but that doesnt count.</p>

<p>tsiguy, my posts were directing at OP's original concern on scholarship. And, isn't scholarship always part of a student's financial aid package?</p>

<p>
[quote]
in state students pay 3365 a semester, out of state students pay 10365, yet in state students are the ones that get i would say in upwards of 80% of the aid awarded, isnt there something wrong with that?
hell why not do away with tuition for in state students all together and just raise ours, you are already screwing out of state students as it is, why not go the whole way?

[/quote]

While I understand your frustration, your accusation is without merit and simply incorrect. The tuition revenue discounting financial aids has never come close to cover the true cost of undergraduate programs at Wisconsin. It is the people of Wisconsin (i.e. the state government) that have historically covered the gap. In other words, the taxpayers essentially subsidize their in-state students (including financial aids). If you do your homework, you will find that the Wisconsin OOS tuition rate is among the lowest (despite its stronger undergraduate programs). Dig in yourself. Many of the financial aids data can be found at <a href="http://www.bpa.wisc.edu/datadigest/DataDigest2006-2007.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.bpa.wisc.edu/datadigest/DataDigest2006-2007.pdf&lt;/a> (start at pg. 65).</p>

<p>
[quote]
the majority of scholarships are pointless (500 dollars, thanks, now if i can just get that other 99,500 from somewhere....), and the ones that arent are so exclusive and sought after that i wouldnt have a chance given my average GPA.

[/quote]

I truly feel for you. Unfortunately, there is no free college education (certainly not at the level of UW-Madison). If there is one, everyone will be jumping over it by now. :) The real world is simply not designed to take care of the average students. I hope that motivates you to work harder in Madison so you may get ahead later in life.</p>

<p>
[quote]
It be possible to get an apartment in Madison or in Wisconsin somewhere and then try to claim residency?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Technically no. The various paths to establish WI residency can be found here. <a href="http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/wi_statutes.php%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/wi_statutes.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>But I recalled meeting someone from IL who worked in WI for over a year after HS before enrolling as an in-state student. So I guess there is always a way. ;)</p>

<p>im less concerned with the difference in cost between in state and out state as i am with the drastic difference in financial aid awarded to said students. OOS have basically no options unless you were fortunate enough to have wealthy parents, and with tuition going up even more, how does this country ever plan to benefit when it is making an ever widening gap between the rich and the poor?</p>

<p>my family is by no means poor, but i still cannot afford to go to this school. and i cant be the only one, so how long until it is completely infeasible for anyone whos family wont pay for their tuition to go to any school that has a strong credible background to its name?</p>

<p>and in response to the tuition rates, read the notation at the bottom, they dont take into account discounts given for other schools for continuing students, which may not be much but it is there...</p>

<p>it also shows that in 10 years, tuition doubled. inflation in that time is 27%, give or take .5, however tuition has gone up 100%. its not only the school thats messed up, maybe the government should realign its ****ing priorities. heres hoping for a democrat in 08.</p>

<p>and they have so many charts and graphs on financial aid, but none comparing how much financial aid went to in state vs out of state students, funny how that works.</p>