Clubs vs Part-Time Job

I’m a student going into college, looking to major in aerospace engineering. My question is if money wasn’t an issue would it be better to get a part-time job unrelated to my major, or spend that time participating in more clubs related to my field. Which looks better on resumes and job applications?

Related is preferable to unrelated. And if money isn’t an issue, then why is this even a question?

1 Like

I didn’t understand if jobs would be more attracted to a student who had proper work experience, rather than someone who didn’t have work experience and only got experience through clubs.

If you’re asking in relation to college admissions, then my answer is as above. If it’s about future hourly wage jobs between now and college graduation, then it really depends.

Sorry, my question is unclear I’m referring to jobs out of college, so during college is it better for a part time job or a more clubs related to my major.

1 Like

Many kids who are financially able may not work during the school year at college, especially initially, but they usually have summer jobs. What you are asking isn’t mutually exclusive (clubs during the year but with real-world work experience).

Not everyone has the luxury to make those kinds of choices, though.

You are headed into college and aero. You likely won’t have time for a job. In college (not necessarily hs) a club would be better - maybe to help to get your resume seen. It depends what the club does. Some are more impactful than others, related or not.

But a part time job works well too.

Both show initiative.

If I was heading into my first year of engineering I would start with a club and gauge your available time. There’s also an engineering fraternity if interested.

Best of luck.

1 Like

I moved the thread out of High School Life.

I don’t think your unclear at all. Both count actually. My engineering son worked on campus not related at all to his major but started a club on campus that was but not directly. His interviews for jobs liked both of these activities. Do things that you enjoy period. My kids both worked since freshman year in college. They wanted to by choice. Any work experience is a positive. But if you can get a job related to your field then that’s great also. Internships /companies want to see active students.

3 Likes

Thank you so much I was looking to attend cal poly Pomona and wanted to take advantage of the learn by doing, as they have so many aerospace clubs. I was afraid that if I did a part-time it would take away from time I could use to be more involved.

1 Like

Thank you for your input, I’m a first generation student and I don’t know very much about how to prepare to get a job after college.

So first things first, time management. Once you know your work load you will see what you have time for. Can’t do everything either. Take time and investigate what excites you. Then… Get involved. This gives you something to talk about in interviews. I wouldn’t worry about getting a job after college yet. You will be guided and have help on campus. This is not an easy field. Get good grades and be active to some compacity and you will be fine.

2 Likes

@AsianHimmy

Neither. Internships are what helps the most in getting a job after graduation.

These will not only provide you with experience which employers in your field really like, it also provides you with contacts and with an understanding of how the job market works in your field, and they will set you up for getting a job.

Most internships are over the summer, and different employers will be setting up job markets to advertise themselves, both for job seekers and potential interns. Your college of engineering and possibly your department will also have a good number of resources for you to help you find an internship.

Each internship substantially increases your chance of getting a job just after you graduate.

During the school year, if you do not need to support yourself financially, take what little time you have and use it to enjoy yourself. You are no longer in high school, and employers really do not care whether you have extracurriculars.

The benefit of social organizations or social activities which are organized by your college and department is that they are, again, a way to network, and to get to know your peers, who are your future co-workers.

3 Likes

Oh for heavens sake…there are enough hours in the week to both work about 10 hours or so at a part time job…AND be a member of at least a couple of clubs if you want to do that.

I think getting a job is smart. It gives you something for work experience. I don’t think it has to necessarily be related to your college field of study. Working consistently at a job shows commitment and responsibility.

4 Likes

Thank you for the insightful response, as for internships will being in those extra curriculars help me earn them? Is there something I can do to help maximize my chances of being able to land one. I’m mainly staying in the LA area to hopefully land one so having some information would be useful.

One of the best things is take 100% advantage of the career office. I would advise having a goal to visit them 2-3 times your freshman year. More each year after- then you become more comfortable as you get closer to graduation. They can help
you create a Linked In profile and also with resume building. Plus they should be a source for jobs and internships to build on your education, skills and passion. Colleges have excellent resources - and you need to
use them. Don’t forget about your professors too !

2 Likes

I understand that, but with some family responsibilities and wanting to do well in school, I want to focus on one rather than spreading myself thin. If this is the wrong move can you explain why? Thank you for answering.

I was definitely planning on doing this, but I want to look into what looks good on a resume so I can prepare.

This is where career services plus professors in your major will assist you. You have 4 years to build this out and you have made a big step ahead of most just thinking about it.

You’ve already received excellent advice. I just wanted to add that your initial hesitation to not overload yourself is a good one. My advice would be to just join one club of interest first semester and find the study balance. Then you can reassess if you can add a job to the mix or a second club. For sure utilize the resources offered at the career center, go to job fairs to practice talking to recruiters, and go to office hours to meet profs. IMO the best part time jobs are those that can add some weight to your resume - working in a research lab, tutoring, course grading, etc… Those types of jobs likely won’t be available to you until after freshman year. Right now I’d focus on the transition to school and time management. Good luck to you!

2 Likes