CNN story about difficulty of nursing school admissions

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/30/news/economy/nursing-school-rejections/index.html?sr=fbCNN043018economy0919AMStoryLink

Interesting, thanks for posting.

The major thing we heard in our tours was that they couldn’t take more students even if they wanted to, due to state-mandated faculty:student ratios (and clinical sites secondarily).

I know of two new BSN programs in my neck of the woods - so new that no one has taken the NCLEX yet. They are less than ideal IMO in terms of clinical locations and how the programs are structured, but they are coming online and hopefully more good ones will follow.

The number of BSN programs greatly varies from state to state. PA. has the highest number of programs, almost all of which are direct entry. That makes PA programs worth considering for anyone from a state where there is a shortage of BSN programs.

Interesting!

My favorite part -
There are currently about three million nurses in the United States. The country will need to produce more than one million new registered nurses by 2022 to fulfill its health care needs, according to the American Nurses Association estimates.

The acceptance numbers listed are daunting but don’t come close to representing the demand for the four direct entry CA public school BSN programs where each school receives thousands of freshmen applications to fill 30-140 spots.

@Banker1 However, they say it is hard to get a nursing job in California. Why is that?

I saw a study that reported the very high percentage of RNs in California and NYC that were not born in the US.

@am9799 I don’t know how difficult it is to find a nursing job in CA. My wife is an RN at UCSD and she reports they hire qualified and experienced candidates who have earned their degrees from a variety of different BSN programs.

@banker1 I was referring to new grad hires. It looks like although there is a general shortage it is very hard to get hired without experience.

Considering the small number of nursing programs in California for the size of the population, I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be a shortage. They wouldn’t be hiring so many overseas nursing grads if there wasn’t a shortage. Employers always want to hire people with a couple years of experience, but they often don’t have a choice when there is a shortage.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/04/news/economy/health-care-workers-shortage/index.html?sr=fbCNN050418economy1113AMStoryLink

a second article on the topic.