Co-op Secured.....Now Housing Question!

<p>My sophomore S just accepted a mechanical engineering co-op position with his first choice company in Houston!! We are so happy for him, and feel so blessed again by the opportunities UA has afforded our Ohio boy! Now the question arises regarding housing during the semesters that he is on campus.</p>

<p>Currently, he is renting an apartment off campus with a dorm-mate from last year. His first semester of co-op will be this summer (as an aside, if anyone is looking for an apartment for May- mid Aug. that is walking distance to campus, let me know!) He will then be on campus for classes this coming Fall semester, but will be back in Houston for Spring 2015, then back to campus for Summer 2015. I am really not interested in him re-contracting for another year with the anxiety of trying to sublease the apartment to someone else for Spring 2015, but I’m not sure of any other alternatives.</p>

<p>We discussed being somewhat of a “vagrant” and just subletting from other students for the semesters when he is on campus, but this obviously creates a mini-nightmare with all of the continuous moving.</p>

<p>Do any of you CCers have firsthand experience with this issue, or do you know of any students and their families who have dealt with the housing arrangement successfully? I do have an email into the engineering co-op director to ask these same questions, but I know everyone on this board is ALWAYS filled with excellent ideas.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help, and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>I’m confused a bit.</p>

<p>Are you looking for housing for him in Houston or are you trying figure out his housing when he’s on Bama’s campus?</p>

<p>Congrats with the co-op!</p>

<p>Housing in Houston will be handled by the company he will be working with.</p>

<p>We are trying to figure out housing when on campus at UA. Of course, he just received an email about re-contracting for next year…</p>

<p>Thanks for the congrats!</p>

<p>Perhaps the co-op office could help you to find someone who will begin a co-op in the fall and be on-campus the semesters that you son is not and they could arrange to share the costs of a unit somewhere?</p>

<p>That was actually one of the questions that I asked the woman at the co-op office. </p>

<p>Just waiting on a reply from her…</p>

<p>Exciting news about the co-op! </p>

<p>Can’t help with housing advice, but will be watching this thread in the hopes of learning something from your DS’s experience!</p>

<p>If you could co-ordinate with someone doing a semester abroad, that would be great. </p>

<p>maybe there needs to be some sort of matching system…lol</p>

<p>Congratulations on the co-op! That is awesome! Hope your son has a wonderful experience!</p>

<p>I have an update from the co-op office…</p>

<p>Students often do sublease apartments from other co-op students, allowing one to be there at a time, alternating semesters just as they do work. The office has a list-serv where students can communicate with other co-op students about housing, etc.</p>

<p>My S was informed by the office to just stop in so they can share the list-serv information with him!</p>

<p>I’m not surprised that UA offers this service to the non-traditional co-op students…just another great reason to love UA!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Congratulations to your son, what a wonderful opportunity!!</p>

<p>^Thank you!!!</p>

<p>Great! It makes sense for such a system to be in place.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>