Coalition App/Scoir

On the Coalition App - do we see if additional recommenders (not teachers) submitted LORs? Or is it only visible once we have a portal for a school? Thank you.

Did you ever find out the answer? I am applying and really need Scoir so I can max my apps (common allows 20 only). Scoir is not intuitive and I have emailed counselor and teacher reps but no one is getting them. I have submitted an app to a school not a priority to me to test it and it says unfinished but I have no idea how to finish it. Thank God I removed the other schools I am interested in. Help.

I am not sure what the answer is. One additional recommender confirmed submitting his LOR (not a teacher or counselor) to Scoir, but Scoir did not change the way the LOR page looks. It is definitely less intuitive than Common App, where you can actually see that a LOR was submitted and you can attach it to multiple schools.

We are trying to figure this out as well. Definitely less intuitive than Common App.

According to info I found through Scoir help website (see below), the recommenders only get the requests once you submit the application to the college. Maybe this is why nobody is getting them? (did you not submit the application)?

Also, some of the way this works seems to depend on whether your high school is a Scoir school or not. Ours is not.

So according to info linked above, we can’t see/track the letters in Scoir (only in the college portal) if the high school isn’t a Scoir school. At least with Common App, even if your high school doesn’t use Naviance, you can still see if the letters were uploaded. With Coalition, it seems as if you can’t track it through Coalition unless your school uses Scoir.

Dealing with the counselor and teacher documents for Coalition is feeling more difficult for student and counselor than either Common App alone or Common App paired with Naviance. (This may be specific to this year - and going forward - due to the relationship that Scoir now has with Coalition. It’s something I hope they address).

Our school supports Scoir, in a different/less direct way than Common App, but they do send out docs to colleges that are listed on Naviance as Coalition applications. You are right, the submission of an application triggers the recommender request. Our recommender got 4 links (for 4 applications), but needed to just attach the LOR to the first. The question I have is - how do we know which LORs were sent to a college? If we had three outside recommenders and the school allows 1 or 2 LORs from non-teachers, for example. Schools that we applied to via Scoir do not list outside recommenders at all.

Putting some additional info here for future applicants having similar issues - we learned a bit more today about this process.

My D already had recommendation letters in Naviance, so when she submitted her applications through Coalition recently, she did not add her teacher’s names and emails in Coalition as she didn’t want them to get emailed about recommendations that they had already submitted to Naviance. She didn’t think the teachers would need to do anything new, so she didn’t want to bother them with email requests for recommendations from specific colleges when they had already put their letters in Naviance.

However, she discovered after submitting her Coalition applications to the colleges that some of the colleges would not be able to receive the recommendation letters via Naviance, and that she did, in fact, need to add teacher contact info to the Coalition Application so that the teachers would get an email invitation to upload their rec letters to Scoir.

She did that. Unfortunately, they did not get the email invitations. We contacted Scoir and found out that if you add the teacher info after you’ve already submitted the application, the Scoir system will not be triggered to email the teacher. We also found out that Scoir has no way to manually send this email to the teachers or to all the teachers to upload the rec without receiving that invitation email.

They advised that there were two possible solutions. 1) Apply to an additional school. They said this would trigger the email invitation and that once the letters were uploaded, all schools applied to in Coalition would get the letters (including schools previously applied to). Or 2) Have teachers or counselor email a pdf of the letter directly to the college. In this case, I’d also suggest contacting the college to find out exactly where to have it sent and to confirm that they will accept this.

Thank you - this is very helpful. It looks like different schools work differently with Naviance and Scoir. Our Naviance did not trigger teacher LORs, either, but the college list in Naviance gave our HS college counselor info as to which colleges would be applied to via Scoir, and she forwarded the LORs to those colleges back in October.
My big question is about other recommenders, not teachers. If a student has three other recommenders who submitted LORs to Scoir, how do we know which other LORs (not teachers’) the college would get/accept when, for example, they only accept 1 other LOR. Because colleges often do not list optional LORs on portals, it is very hard to know whose LORs they actually received. As opposed to the Common App, where everything is clear - you see whose letters were attached to the application and downloaded by which college.

1 Like