Cohort Default Rates or Graduation Performance Rank as College Quality Indicator? (Calling LA, MA, MO, NM, NC, WA residents especially!)

Appreciate all the feedback, which brings me to a couple of questions.

1. On College Navigator, on the Retention & Graduation Rates section, part of it looks like this (this is New Mexico Highlands, source):

My reading is that 25% of students graduated within the designated time span and that 37% of the students transferred out and then that the remaining 38% of students either dropped out or are on a longer pathway toward graduation. Is my reading correct?

1. Okay, the graduation rate has some issues, presumably, across nearly all schools, or at least across nearly all public schools. Thus, would looking at a graduation performance rate index (i.e. actual vs. projected) still be a fair comparison, as the numbers would be similarly flawed for everyone? Or would this be a case of garbage in, garbage out?

2. Is there some kind of metric that is publicly available that people think would be useful at assessing a university’s effectiveness? I’ve read of colleges doing the Collegiate Learning Assessment (CSA) as a sort of pre-test/post-test for the first years and seniors, but schools generally don’t publish the results of those tests.

I guess I’m continuing on my my never-ending quest to find ways to assess the quality of a school, as I don’t think that major newspaper/magazine rankings have typically done a great job of capturing that. (For more on what my ideal ranking might look like, see post #2 over here: Create Your Dream College Ranking Methodology)