College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Are you posting in the correct thread?
This Recognition Program is based on Junior year PSAT scores,
not AP scores.
CB didn’t ask for my son’s AP scores to qualify.

Unless this is new, I’m out of the loop.

Update: Thanks for the correction; I am very out of the loop.

I believe one can qualify based on AP courses and test scores.

2 Likes

Check out the document lc1990 attached. You can qualify by either PSAT or freshman-sophomore year AP scores.

1 Like

Daughter received email that she advanced to the next phase for the Hispanic Scholarship Fund! :tada: Anyone else?

4 Likes

Congrats! Same - but there is still absolutely nothing on her portal to look at. I thought her application didn’t even go through because we couldn’t check status on portal. Now there is no phase II app. Kind of stumped here.

1 Like

Same! We sent a message to alert them. We had a similar problem with phase 1 also and it was resolved. I’m sure it will be updated soon.

My daughter also had problems with the portal during phase 1 but this time it works. The phase 2 app only has the essay prompt:

Essay
What leadership role do you aspire to in 20 years and what steps will you take to get there? (250-500 words)

2 Likes

Yep, I noticed this wants the FAFSA. I thought this was merit based.

Just as an FYI the University of South Carolina offered my S a super nice scholarship as a NHS where he only pays state tuition and got an additional scholarship. The entire cost was about 5k for the year including room and board. I did not see this mentioned any were else.

4 Likes

Yes. The award is merit based but the dollar amount is need based. We aren’t expecting much. Our EFC is six figures. But they can earn the honor of being named a Hispanic Scholar and receive a scholarship even if is a small one.
From their website:

• Every year, HSF selects ~10,000 outstanding students as HSF Scholars from a broad and talented pool of applicants
  • HSF Scholars have access to a full range of invaluable Scholar Support Services, including career services, mentorship, leadership development, knowledge building, and wellness training
  • Career services include access to select internship and job opportunities with HSF corporate partners
  • HSF Scholars are eligible to apply for all Scholar Conferences including, the STEM Summit, Finance Conference, Media & Entertainment Summit, Entrepreneurship Summit, and Healthcare Summit
  • Exclusive access to the HSF Insider which shares invaluable information and career opportunities
  • Finally, and importantly, HSF awards more than $30 million in Scholarships annually and, depending upon available funds, HSF Scholars may also be eligible to receive a scholarship, which range from $500-$5,000 and awarded directly to students

Award

Scholars are selected based on merit. Award amounts range from $500 - $5,000, based on relative need.

2 Likes

Hispanic Scholarship Fund Phase II application is now fully functional.

3 Likes

@timan2000 is your son a Top Scholar? My son received the 6K for the NHS recognition and 4K merit off of instate. That puts him at 16.5k/year. There was only one more merit award higher (besides the Top Scholars) and that would only lower the cost to 12.5k/year. We would have LOVED only 5k/year. Regardless I think he’s going to be a Gamecock. The Honors College was amazing and with the aid given, it’s hard to pass up. Congratulations to your son on his award!

1 Like

I see the application deadline was 3/15. I assume it has passed. Amy I missing something?

I assume this is based on the CBRP National Hispanic Scholar (or NHRP) and not the Hispanic Scholar Fund (HSF) which just entered phase II (but you may be able to apply as a junior).

1 Like

Could you tell me the email address it was sent from? What state are you? Do you mind me asking what her PSAT score was? Thanks!

Edited to add: oops, just realized you were referencing Hispanic Scholar Fund, not the National Hispanic Merit Scholar. All of these competitions sound so similar and I was confused. My son is a junior and is waiting on NHMS (April 15th notifications I think?) and hopes to apply for the Hispanic Scholar Fund next year. We don’t expect much in terms of scholarship money from HSF (our EFC is about $40K) but it’s a very nice recognition to have so he really wants to try.

Congrats to those entering Phase II of HSF :star_struck:

I am little off topic but there isn’t current topic thread set up for HSF and I know a lot of people in here qualify and probably applied. :grinning:

2 Likes

@martinezcs do you know what Phase 2 entails? My son is not always the most communicative. :joy:

Phase 2 involves an essay, letter of recommendation, a headshot, transcripts, questions on fall college and 5 words describing you, copy of fafsa sar, and ead card if you are a daca student.

3 Likes

It’s not too bad. One essay. One recommender. Headshot, transcripts, FAFSA SAR. 5 words that describe you. College info. It is due by the end of April. My daughter is trying to get it done today.

1 Like

It’s too bad this final phase of HSF isn’t completed in January. Seems like a great way to add to your resume and maybe a nice thing to highlight if you are appealing for more money from a school. Sounds pretty reasonable with requirements so that’s good.

1 Like