College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Nothing really new regarding NEU.

See this post from 2019: NHRP 2019 College Scholarship List - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums

3 Likes

It seems like scholarship amounts for National Recognition Program have gone down at most schools since the cutoff to qualify was lowered a few years ago. It used to be only the top few percent qualified for national hispanic recognition program and now something like top 10% do I believe which makes the designation much less selective unfortunately. It does seem that schools award within a range though. My D22 daughter got 18K merit for RHRP at Northeastern but I’ve seen 10K through 24K posted for her year and award. Also a range at Fordham. At Fordham the recognition program and national merit kids are all put into the same group for awards so lots of competition to get a large merit awards although it seems like they like to give people around 30K between merit and need based aid. At least last year a lot of people fell in that range. We used this resource at road2college that was helpful in comparing offers because you could see anonymously what others had received: https://compareoffers.road2college.com
But it does seem that the recognition awards are trending down. I have a S24 who has qualified for NRP and I’m hoping the awards don’t continue to shrink!

2 Likes

I have a D22 also at Northeastern but she’s not Hispanic. She had slightly lower stats but also got $18k, which according to the Common Data Set is the average merit. As NU continues to remain a “hot” school I would have to imagine they will keep reducing merit.

2 Likes

This is the correct answer. They have plenty of people interested in attending and have zero incentive to offer large scholarships. Ditto Fordham.
There are still schools out there that give good money but I think we will see those awards tied to other requirements in years ahead. For example, at USF, one needs to qualify for the auto merit awards to get the NRP scholarship.

2 Likes

@1dadinNC I had hoped that a Latina with very high stats would have been a no brainer for NU to offer a large scholarship. They clearly receive a large number of high stats kids, so I guess that combo doesn’t stand out anymore. NU has come a long way since their commuter school days, and I’m sure they have many applicants who are willing to pay full price.

2 Likes

From what I have seen with NEU, $15k is what is advertised with some occasionally getting more than that. I think I saw somebody once post about $30k, but now I wonder if they combined NHRP merit with financial aid.

My D22 applied for and received Boston University’s $25,000 NHRP Presidential Scholarship merit, confirmed for all 4 years. There is no guesswork with that one, it is competitive, but if you get it, it is $25k as defined on their web page under scholarships. She did not choose to attend BU however.

2 Likes

“NEU, $15k is what is advertised with some occasionally getting more than that.”
Do you mean just this year?
I thought I saw an African-American male posted this year that he received $30K from NEU for Recognition.

I didn’t see any specific numbers advertised for NMF nor Recognition for yr2022.
NEU offered my DS2022 $31K/yr for Recognition,
and separately a small financial aid.

Sad that the merit/scholarships are decreasing.

1 Like

And this is the beginning of the blowback - alumni will stop donating and students will stop applying and universities in Florida will wither:

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ takeover of New College of Florida puts $29 million in donations at risk

“After DeSantis’ takeover, donors started contacting Lenger to get more information about what was happening. A number shared their intentions to remove New College from their estate plans and stop other contributions.”
“The $29 million in canceled contributions would be big money for a small school with just 700 students and a relatively small donor base. New College’s Foundation had $43.5 million in net assets in 2019 and received $2.4 million in total revenue that year, the most recent year that IRS records are available.”

This is just from a handful of people who were leaving money in their wills and does not account for all the people who have said they will no longer send annual contributions.

But this is still relevant to this topic because the very first thing the new board did was eliminate the diversity, equity and inclusion programs, which I think will impact things like NRP scholarships. And how disgusting do you have to be to take over a university so that you can forcibly convert it into conservative education reform? (Is New College even liberal? I have no idea.) Is this like forced conversion therapy? There is a word for rulers who eliminate all those who oppose their views, meet opposition with harsh penalties and retribution and install their sycophants in positions of power, but I digress. Anyway, yeah - I personally would stay away from Florida public universities for sure, and probably just Florida in general.

edit: And if New College is a very liberal school, then the students who applied and enrolled there, did so knowing that it was a liberal institution. If some person comes in like a hate speech fueled dictator, replaces the President, replaces the Board of Trustees, cancels programs and enforces a new far-right wing conservative thought control indoctrination society (can’t wait to see the uniforms that are probably part of the master plan), I would expect many students to transfer. I think I saw this play out in the later Harry Potter books with Dolores Umbridge. I wouldn’t stick around and pay tuition.

2 Likes

I am so glad people are fighting back with their wallets! I hope the message is heard loud and clear. The person who rails the most about “cancel culture” is sure into it when it’s the things HE wants to cancel! Well said-I agree with your sentiments 100%. I sometimes worry that this bullying and “anti-woke” crusade is supported by more people than we think, but recent polling shows the issues at the top of the conservative agenda are not popular at all. Thankfully, banning discussions of race and equity in colleges and attacking trans people are not issues voters will get behind on a national level.

4 Likes

To address your questions about a possible wave of transfers that could happen:

My son considered New College so it must have a reputation of being at least somewhat progressive. He ended up feeling it was too small, although we did not visit. On Niche, it lists 54% Democrat, 31% Independent and 15% Other. Also surveyed the students about campus culture and they said Progressive/very liberal (73%) Liberal (18%) Moderate (3%)Very conservative (3%) Libertarian (3%) Looks like 67% White, 4% African American and 18% Hispanic as far as diversity.

1 Like

Students, parents and alumni are definitely upset.

1 Like

Just saw this:

Hampshire College is pleased to offer admission to any New College of Florida student, matching their current cost of tuition. We support New College of Florida students who would like to continue their education without losing any credits, without increasing their current tuition costs, and without having to give up on self-designed education and narrative evaluations.

4 Likes

300 seems small, but that is almost half the student body I believe. It’s insane what they are paying the new interim President. More than double the previous president’s salary, but when you add on all the add-ons, it is over a million per year I think. Florida law limits salary to $200k, so the rest has to come out of endowment. I feel bad that alum are pulling their donations, because that really only hurts the school and not the growing vast problem for the state and potentially the country, and he wont care if his actions close the school and ruins lives. It’s all about “owning the libs and killing woke”.

3 Likes

Update on BU.
Daughter admitted with $0 aid other than stafford loans. At 83k, BU is a hard NO.
D23 is solid and going into engineering. Should have been a good candidate for something if NRP existed, but I suspect it no longer does at BU.

1 Like

Same here for BU engineering- nothing ! I did see someone post that they got the $25 for NHRP on the BU thread.

2 Likes

Fordham still has its NRP but only gives it to top. Since DS didn’t submit his scores, he didn’t get it but they did offer him their UPS Scholarship for underepresented communities at $10K but it still doesn’t make it worth it bc he got into his “dream” school Oberlin conservatory and they gave him close to full tuition in merit/aid.

He got a full tuition scholarship to CWRU and we’re (parents) are keeping an open mind on that. Him not so much! lol

3 Likes

My daughter did get the $25k from BU for NHRP, so it does still exist. I was also very surprised that they stacked it with a scholarship that was specific to her major (art).

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are pulling back on NHRP and joining the trend of schools that are focusing on needs based aid like Northeastern appears to be doing. I honestly think that by lowering the cutoff for students to qualify for NHRP, College Board sent the message to colleges that the designation isn’t as big of a deal. Colleges don’t know if a student was near the top or bottom of that broader score range.

2 Likes

Don’t you hate when the big money comes from a school that is further down the list? Clearly CWRU sees your son as adding something unique to the culture of the school (probably to balance out all the pre-meds who are attracted there). I saw you mentioned that your son also got a big merit award from UMD too. My daughter received the Banneker/Key from UMD but it’s not a school that is strong for her major (art). Despite my excitement at the possibility of a buy-2-get-one-free (because I have two other kids in college at the same time), my daughter is on the fence about it! To round out their student population, schools will throw money at kids who bring something unique, but kids who specialize in something unique usually want to go to a school that has a lot of kids who also do what they do.

3 Likes

Congrats to everyone with some very good choices out there! Especially jealous of the full tuition at Case Western since that’s my son’s favorite right now :disappointed: (Oberlin is an awesome school BTW!)

My son has been accepted to 15 colleges, all honors programs except waitlisted to Pitt Honors and I don’t think Case Western offers an honors program. He was only waiting on Northeastern which came on Wednesday. It was his top choice (although the financial package had to match up to our budget which was no guarantee) and he was waitlisted so he’s taking that as a polite, gentle no. It’s weird because he showed alot of interest and was invited to a preview day advertised for minorities, which he attended. I don’t doubt they are trying to recruit and increase diversity stats but they must have met their goals without him. Another NHMS got in EA but they only gave her $2000 merit! He took it fine, it helped that his high stats friend (who is likely heading to an Ivy) was also waitlisted. So now he’s kind of obsessed with wanting to go to Case Western. But it’s $32k compared to his SUNY options which are at or below $20k and Barry University in Miami which is at $16,300. Case gave him the top merit of $43,500 and very generous FA of $8400, so I really don’t think there is room to negotiate more. He may write an appeal letter just to try, but I think he may need to move on. He tried for all the extra merit scholarship competitions he could at Case but did not get any extra money. He even tried for the music one (open to non-majors too) and did not get the scholarship but was invited to be a music major based on his skills :woman_shrugging: He has an interview for Rollins College (Orlando) Bonner’s Leader program today which would be an extra $3000 per year if he gets it, bringing us closer to SUNY prices. It does require 10-12 hours per week of volunteer work but it sounds like a great program. Rollins isn’t as well known as CWRU but it has a very good reputation, including for his major Psychology. He does love his cheapest option, Barry, especially that it’s in Miami where everyone speaks Spanish and he can probably use his Spanish daily, but I think his friends are pressuring him a bit about going to a “well known, top school” so he isn’t bored and feels more challenged. But I think all the honors programs will provide the rigor he needs. So that’s where we are at!

He is a finalist for the Hispanic Scholarship Fund competition and need to get his phase 2 essay in this week. It says students can be awarded $500-$5000 but it’s somewhat needs-based and I haven’t heard of too many awards over $1000.

We are approaching the finish line-hang in there everyone!

3 Likes

Your son has so many great choices - well done!! He really can’t make a bad decision, which is an enviable position to be in. NEU was not generous to my D so you didn’t miss out there. When I step back and look at the difference between NEU’s merit and merit my D received from BU - $14k vs $45k - it drives home the point that it’s dependent on what the school wants in a freshman class for that particular year. We don’t get to see that logic so it all seems random!

Let us know what your S decides!

2 Likes