College Board National Recognition Programs scholarship list

Since the College Board National Recognition Programs are PSAT-based like National Merit, and some colleges consider it in similar ways, here is a thread for listing college scholarship offerings based on that status.

6 Likes
  • University of New Mexico: National African American, Indigenous, or Hispanic Scholars admitted by December 1 are eligible for “Approximately $15,000 per year”, and “Any non-resident will receive a tuition waiver to adjust non-resident tuition to NM resident tuition rates”. Scholarships are “competitive and a limited number are available”.

Apparently, Alabama’s webpage on NRP has disappeared. It appears that they were offering the award up until couple of weeks ago and some applicants have received award letters but some have not. Not sure what is going on but thought I’d post. Lots of speculation on subreddit r/capstone, which is the UA specific subreddit.

It will be a real shame if they got rid of it.

I created a pretty extensive list about 2 years ago - the post is here:

There are some updates that I never got around to adding to the list - like:

Duquesne University - competitive, 1 scholarship - full tuition

Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo - I believe $3,000-4,000 annually

University of Chicago - sent a letter stating that students recognized by CBNRPs are considered for generous merit awards - only detail, can expect to receive at least $4,000 renewable.

Penn State sent a letter that CBNRP students may be eligible for significant scholarship opportunities.

1 Like

I see they were boasting about it here: ACADEMIC IMPACT but I suspect some one maybe using that SCOTUS decision to push back on the consitutionality of it despite the fact that rural nonPOC got it as well

Oh, I highly suspect we will see a lot of these scholarships disappearing this year and next - based on the supreme court decision as well as the Texas and Florida (and a growing number of southern states) anti diversity and inclusion policies. :unamused:

Well, the irony here is that for a lot of these states consideration of race was already illegal and SCOTUS said nothing about scholarships. I suppose it is an opportunity for these schools to just wipe the slate clean.

It was not illegal. The SCOTUS decision on school admissions BEFORE the one this year, Grutter v. Bollinger from 2003, said it was OK to consider Race.

I think they are going to re-tool. There are so many ways to conider race without doing it explicity. My son got an email today, accidentally from a top 10 school, targeting First Generation Americans, Low Income, People of Color and Intersecting identities. They are certain to find a very racially diverse pool bc there is not explicit target of RACE only. This group is open to applicants, regardless of race.

Agree. Also when they lowered the bar I think it created too many scholars with this award. The criteria for top PSAT scores OR to only need 2 AP exam scores of 3. :grimacing: They should have stuck with the top PSAT scores. Or at least had a higher requirement for AP - 5’s not 3’s.

Claude Steele has done interesting research on stereotype threat demonstrating that minority and female students will often underperform in high stakes standardized tests like the SAT despite being equally performing in every other measure. So there is a basis for looking at the scores of these students separately that often end up being underrepresented. At our large competitive high school award ceremony every NMSC scholar was white or Asian. And of course every CBNRP scholar was not. My daughter was the first female Duke TIP scholar ever at her middle school! The program administrator proudly told us this- that our daughter was the first girl to score high enough to qualify for Duke TIP at the school. How on earth? That is a problem. Gender and ethnic bias and stereotype threat is real.

1 Like

Penn State sent a letter directly to you? Did you submit an inquiry first? How much were they offering in scholarship? This school is on my sons radar. Thanks

To my DD. She received an email and I think later she received a letter, but it didn’t say much. Something like “Congratulations on your selection into the National Recognition Program. As a National Recognition Program student, there may be significant scholarship opportunities available to you. Applying for admission to Penn State to see what we have to offer…” It was unsolicited, she never applied to Penn State. I think I did check out their web site though and was never able to find anything specifically about CBNRP scholarships.

My son received a real letter from Penn State asking him to get in touch with the diversity recruiter to learn about generous merit aid available. He did not pursue.

Univ of Alabama has discontinued the automatic National Recognition scholarship. They are offering a generous competitive scholarship that offers the same 4 year tuition/ 1st year housing as the National Recognition scholarship did.
https://afford.ua.edu/scholarships/competitive-achievement/

2 Likes

Unfortunately, looks like Texas A&M has also discontinued this scholarship for future students (all awarded scholarships for prior classes will be honored in full). Be sure to expand the ‘National Recognition Programs’ sectin to see the disclaimer about discontinuation.:

Apologies if this was already posted, I did not see it.