College of Charleston Early Decision / Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Did anyone get extra scholarships aside from the ones offered in the admission letter? If so, when?

We are stunned ā€¦ CofC awarded our son $375 in aid.

Itā€™s as if the school is saying ā€¦ ā€œdonā€™t bother coming hereā€. How can they justify an OOP cost of $200k for a BA from CofC???

We have two other sons who graduated UPenn and Emory - the COMBINED OOP for them was $200k!!!

Gutted ā€¦

2 Likes

No merit?

We didnā€™t hear about any of the extra scholarships and got no aid but we did get 10,500 in merit.

Pretty much the same here. OOS daughter did not get any merit scholarship money, despite having over a 4.0 gpa. We didnā€™t get, nor did we expect financial aid. Very disappointed, but their degree is not worth over $200,000!

Anyone hear about the housing problem? Where will sophomoreā€™s live if they get denied housing on campus next year? Renting is unaffordable even with a share.

Many current freshman did not get housing on campus for their sophomore year this fall. They had to look for off campus apartments or houses to rent. If you are on the CofC Facebook pages for parents, youā€™ll read many are upset at needing to pay a lot of money to live off campus sophomore year. Plus if they are far away and need a car, parking is an extra cost thatā€™s not cheap. Apparently, some landlords also raised the rent from previous years as well. This is all due to the fact one dorm will be closed for renovations for the 2022-2023 year. Supposedly the following year it wonā€™t be an issue but who knows.

1 Like

Just a little concerned. I donā€™t want her to go and then have no where to live sophomore year.

Sheā€™s already concerned enough that only ā€œbeautiful girlsā€ go there. Sheā€™s being silly, but I understand the fear of not making friends

At admitted Students day last weekend the housing person said that the renovated dorm would be ready for next year. Iā€™m hoping that eliminates the issue.

1 Like

May or may not be an issue, but be prepared for high housing costs in Charleston.

Hi! Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ll know/see this but I was wondering if iā€™d be flat out rejected if I donā€™t have precalc on my transcript. I have a 3.7W, 5 APā€™S, almost all honors and solid ECā€™S

1 Like

Hi,

CoC will consider what you have taken and they may even consider your major that you are applying for. They have added engineering majors and a pre-nursing track with MUSC, so math may be weighted heavily in considerations there.

Are you taking any math this year? CoC requires 2 math classes for all majors, but they can be transferred in if they align. The classes on campus are tough, and yes, even the philosophy logic one.

They do love students who are going to get involved on campus, so your ECs will help.

Good luck!

hi! yes iā€™m taking math this year. iā€™ve taken math all 4 years just donā€™t have precalc and am thinking of going into something non- stem related. thanks!

1 Like