College of Engineering AP Credits

On the College of Engineering webpage, they provide a list of AP tests that can be used to satisfy a degree requirement for majors in the College of Engineering (Accepted AP and IB Credits | Texas A&M University Engineering).

This is a different list than the University has and appears limited. Is there a process to petition other AP tests for an engineering student that are not on this list but accepted by the University?

@TexAgCVEN92 all students, regardless of major, need to WAIT to accept any AP exams, until meeting with advisor at NSC.

1 Like

@52AG82 thanks a bunch. Definitely haven’t accepted anything yet and good to know that this should be discussed at NSC.

1 Like

Its my understanding that the engineering list supersedes what the main list says. For example, what the engineering list says about AP Calc BC is what matters, not what the main list says about AP Calc BC. The engineering list doesn’t mention many of the core curriculum credits since the main list has that info. What credits are you curious about?

2 Likes

@Eggscapgoats i think you are correct-Engineering list supersedes main university list.

1 Like

AP World History would count for a Core Curriculum class but isn’t listed. That’s the only one that came to mind - even if my kid does well on Calc AB AP test, he should take 151. Better to get a very strong understanding of that and as I recall, Math 152 is a difficult one. He’s going to take AP Literature and Composition so if he does well, I guess he will get an ENGL 203 credit (right now he isn’t wanting Biomedical, Mechanical or Nuclear engineering but who knows).

He did well on the AP Physics I test but not sure that Physics 201 does anything for him so will likely just not even mention that as a credit (unless there is a reason to submit).

Like I mentioned above, student and advisor go thru AP credit at NSC, and during the 4 years. It’s best to not accept all at once-for many reasons.
Unfortunately, dual credit applies automatically, which can really be a bummer.
Have your son finish strong, do well on AP exams, and don’t think about them again until NSC.
Isn’t your son still waiting on a pathway acceptance?

1 Like

According to the notes on the engineering degree plan, the 6 history credits must come from US history. Thats my guess why world history doesnt appear on the engineering list - it doesn’t go towards an engineering degree.

“Of the 21 hours shown as University Core Curriculum electives, 3 must be from creative arts (see AREN curriculum for more information), 3 from social and behavioral sciences (see IDIS curriculum for more information), 3 from language, philosophy and culture (see CVEN, EVEN and PETE curriculum for more information), 6 from American history and 6 from government/political science. The required 3 hours of international and cultural diversity and 3 hours of cultural discourse may be met by courses satisfying the creative arts, social and behavioral sciences, language, philosophy and culture, and American history requirements if they are also on the approved list of international and cultural diversity courses and cultural discourse courses.”

1 Like

Yes, definitely a good idea to retake calc 1 and 2. At tamu, these courses have programming and are more in depth than what both mine experienced in HS.

2 Likes

That’s what I noticed too. AP World History on the University’s list transfers in for History 104 which is on the list for University Core Curriculum in the Language, Philosophy & Culture category so that was our hope. I’m sure that an advisor will know best - maybe we can ask someone at Aggieland Saturday about this.

Thanks for the reply.

We are in the “considered for Texas A&M Engineering at Blinn” holding pattern. I’m of course getting ahead of where we should be - I am just trying to stay ahead as questions come into my mind.

Hoping that we hear positive news.

1 Like

You are welcome and I understand the desire to plan. As you probably noticed, the engineering degree plans are jam packed and thankfully, most if not all of the core curriculum can be satisfied (even ICD/CD) by taking online CC classes during the summer. My youngest took TX gov the summer before freshman year and then phil/arts the next summer to finish the core curr reqmts.

Wishing you good news soon!

1 Like

Thanks!

It would be a waste of time and tuition to repeat what one already knows well, although there can be a grade-grubbing motivation to do so due to needing a 3.75 college GPA to ETAM into popular majors.

Texas A&M does make previous final exams for some math courses publicly available, so a student can try them to see if the student should retake or knows the material well enough to move on.

MATH 151: MATH 151 Common Exam Archive, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University
MATH 152: MATH 152 Common Exam Archive, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University

1 Like

AP physics 1 or 2 is non-calculus physics, which does not count for subject credit or advanced placement for engineering majors who need calculus-based physics.

1 Like

I dont see how it costs much more to retake these courses - an engineering student is going to be paying full time tuition for four years. Yes, some students are math masterminds and easily skip calc 1 and 2 and do great. Its a personal decision based on a students math skills and the gamble of not getting first choice for ETAM. Most dont want to risk not getting their desired engineering major

2 Likes

A student who knows calculus 1 (or 1 and 2) well from high school and skips it will finish the math sequence early and get one (or two) extra elective slots later during the four year schedule. I.e. the student will get more education of their choice while paying the same amount of tuition and spending the same amount of time as someone who retook calculus 1 (or 1 and 2).

Yes, ETAM encourages grade grubbing and discourages taking more advanced courses that some frosh are ready for.

1 Like

Yes Tamu has created this situation and students do what they must to get what they want. This environment doesn’t encourage students to jump into advanced course because they are under pressure to master those classes. No wiggle room…especially if one wants Comp Eng

Totally agree - more of a discussion of whether or not to even report the score.