College suggestion for computer studies

@Have_faith143 , Thank You. Is this a remote campus of University of maryland.

No separate school. Umbc beat uva in March madness a few years ago- major upset for UvA. They also recently beat Yale at the chess championships or something related to chess but it was big enough to be proud of. It’s known for their sciences and engineeringZ

1 Like

Just asking for clarification. This student is a HS senior now. Are the suggested schools still receiving applications? And have the deadlines for applying to be considered for merit aid passed?

Has this student already applied to any colleges??

@ucbalumnus Thank You, I think my child has taken the topics you mentioned in high school.
There was a previous comment by [SoFla2020] suggesting to go to community college and take required courses. Thats why I asked a followup to understand what his/her line of thinking was.

Umbc and Towson and Frostburg RD is Feb 1st. However EA is preferable. Not sure about the other schools listed by others.

@thumper1 , yes we applied to a bunch of colleges, but I thought I will ask some suggestions anyways.

1 Like

The Penn State branch campuses appear to function like community colleges in other states, but focused on transfer prep to Penn State. Some may have a few four year programs. They are much more expensive than community colleges. They are scattered around the state to serve commuter populations, so they may not be the best experience for residential students.

1 Like

@ucbalumnus , Great info :slight_smile: I never knew, thank you. Is this teh same for other universities like University of Pittsburgh and University of Connecticut.

Probably Pitt. Don’t know much about UConn.

I used College Navigator, the federal government’s website with college information. I selected the states that you indicated were options that offered a Bachelor’s in CS, were smaller than 7k undergrads (maybe 10k, but I feel I put down 7k), and that offered on-campus housing, to minimized the number of commuter schools listed. I then went through and looked at the number of computer science majors in the most recent graduating class, using the number of CS majors as a proxy for the strength of the department. I also paid closer attention to schools that I’ve heard more frequent positive mentions about here on CC. If there was a good percentage or raw number of students in the major, I included it on this list. If it was a school that I was unsure of its classification as residential or commuter, I looked it up on the College Board’s site here.

As an additional note, most of the Penn State branch campuses are commuter campuses, but the Behrend campus in Erie is a residential campus and frequently students will stay all four years through rather than transferring to University Park for the last two years.

2 Likes

UD is a solid school, my daughter attended, her HS stats were 3.9 3.9 uwgpa (only 1 B), 34 act, 9 AP classes, they gave her enough merit to get it down to in state Rutgers. She’s now at graduate school at BU. My son got into TCNJ with only a 3.4 uw, but had lots of honors and several AP’s, 30 act, he applied ED since it was his top choice. Under $50,000 might mean in state, but NJ has a lot of options.

One way to check is to look in the school’s common data set, section F1, to see the percentage of first year students in campus housing. Most residential frosh live in campus housing, so that is usually a proxy for residential students (versus commuter students). The percentage for all undergraduates is less informative, since many residential students at many schools live nearby off campus after frosh year (e.g. off campus apartments, fraternity or sorority houses, cooperative houses, etc.).

@AustenNut Great info. Thanks for the detailed information

1 Like

@Mjkacmom , UD is university of delaware? Which college is BU and ED ?

Also, how can we get some insights from students of colleges they are studying cs.
Are the professors teaching well, Is the course good etc etc

Yes, that’s how students there refer to it. ED means early decision, it’s binding, I remember a 3.4 being below average for TCNJ (but his act score was higher than the average), so since it was his top choice, he was willing to commit if ED gave him a better chance of acceptance. BU Boston University.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.