College visit with sophomore

We are planning to visit some NESCAC colleges this summer for my son who is a rising senior. My question is about my rising sophomore son who will be will us. He is interested in playing in college, but not sure much else. Is it too early for him to contact the (division 3) coaches this summer since we will be going to the schools anyway? Or best to wait another year or so and do this on a separate trip?
Thanks.

I don’t think it’s too early (though it might be sport dependent-- I know soccer).

Your younger son could write an introductory email to the coaches, with something along the lines of “I realize it’s early, but I will be visiting the school with my older brother on X date, and I was hoping I could stop by your office”.

Is your younger son on a pretty clear trajectory to be recruited? If yes, coaches are already keeping an eye out on the younger players.

It is never too early to start. To be sure, these early efforts may not result in a recruitment offer, but getting the name and interest out, thinking about programs, thinking about colleges, looking at facilities and educational offerings has to be done at some point. If you can get a jump start on it – it may not be easier – but you can stretch out the work to b done over a longer period of time.

What is his sport? (Coaches from some sports can’t engage with the student in terms of returning an email or call at this point for your rising soph)

Thanks for the responses. His sport is soccer. It’s still early, but I think it’s reasonable for him to think if playing at a NESCAC.

I thought that was a D1, maybe D2 rule. I thought there weren’t limits on when D3 coaches could contact students.

Am I mistaken?

Oops, my bad, I didn’t process at first that it was only NESCAC schools. Apologies! I agree it’s not too early at all to contact coaches.

Your younger son may also research if there are any summer camps for soccer in the area when he’ll be there. Many of the coaches earn extra money in the summer by running 1-3 days camps.

3 Likes

Great, thank you. I will have him look into that.

My son did the Amherst Peak Performance camp after 9th grade and had a good experience there.

I haven’t kept up with the recruiting rules, since my sports playing kids are older. However, while the D1 coaches couldn’t contact the younger kid (in this case), if the older one contacted the coach, then both kids visited campus - the coach could speak with both when they are on the campus.

I knew kids who were younger HS students and had spoken with D1 coaches. Someone mentions to the coach when the kid might happen to be on campus, and then the coach just happens to run into them…there are ways around the rules.

If he emails the coaches at this point, should he also include video?

If he has a highlight tape, definitely!!

He needs to give coaches a reason to be interested in following him – mainly, that he’s a good player. They don’t want to spend a lot of time on a 1st email (as a rule) so short and sweet and to the point. Whatever will sell your son the best – the league he plays in, his team, his position, any awards/accolades – e.g. will be captain next year (let alone actual awards).

You might consider getting The Athletic Scholarship Playbook, even if you are not trying for a scholarship, because it sets out the recruiting process clearly and concisely. Plus browse the Athletic Recruiting forum here, which I found super valuable, but (obviously) disorganized/all over the map.

1 Like