College w/support for student with NVLD

I’ve searched but don’t see any relevant info here, my apologies if I missed it. My son has NVLD (plus ADHD & dyslexia) and currently attends a specialized boarding HS and getting excellent grades. He’s very intelligent and learned a lot of study tools, but will continue to struggle in several areas. Math and expressive writing being the weakest areas. He is very interested in History and Political Science. He will be ready for mainstream college, with support, when he graduates. His BS tends to send kids to the local area colleges. I’d like to see what else is out there for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Glad to hear your S is doing well.

When looking at colleges the first thing to determine is how much support your S will need to have the best chance of success. Can he function in a mainstream college with pretty standard accommodations such as extra time? Would he better off in a college that has a (often fee based) program for students with learning differences (ex. SALT at UArizona, Learning Support Program at Marist as two examples)?

I would think that your son’s specialized boarding school’s guidance office would have the best feel for what type of support he will need going forward and what types of schools/programs can best accommodate his needs.

3 Likes

Without knowing more about the levels of support needed as well as the budget, these are a few different resources you may want to look at:

Have you seen this article with advice on the college search for students with NVLD?

This article below has students who attended Landmark, Lesley, Loyola New Orleans, U. of San Francisco, and references The K&W Guide by Marybeth Kravets and Imy F. Wax which is a college handbook that describes the types of support services at various colleges. More structured programs mentioned in the article include Landmark, Beacon, Lynn, and U. or Arizona.

These sites below offer longer descriptions of the services offered at various universities. Are there any descriptions of services and transitions that seem right for your kid?

2 Likes