College Waitlists in 2022 -- possibilities or pipedreams?

Each year for the last 3 years there has been a lot of speculation that WL were going to be used more heavily.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed! While D22 likes the schools she has been accepted to, she is really hoping for waitlist movement!

A friend of my daughter’s just got off the Cornell waitlist.

6 Likes

Wow! Which division?

1 Like

Agreed. Tho anecdotally it sure seems like the waitlists have been used more heavily this year than in previous years.

1 Like

So is this week — the week before commitment — usually a big week for getting off waitlists???

Bigger than previous weeks, since more colleges are seeing impending underyield and are going to waitlists the closer it gets to May 1.

But it is likely that the weeks after May 1 will be bigger, as more colleges see underyield confirmed after unmatriculated admission offers expire.

5 Likes

Not usually. I’ve heard that the 2nd week of May is typically busier.

1 Like

There will probably be some next week. And then again the week after. The key thing to remember is that this is not a “release date” like thete were for previous rounds. No need to monitor a portal for updated results.

A school will go out with (phone) offers. Those folks will have a few days to reply. Based on their responses, there will be another wave.

While I don’t know exactly how things work in a given office, it has seemed possible that AOs in the same office have different missions. (I.e., filling spaces for girls or for the engineering school). I mention this so that you know that this can seem rather ad hoc from the outside. And it varies by school.

5 Likes

This is very dependent on the college. If Harvard goes to its waitlist, for example, they will likely be just calling a few individuals, rather than a wave of people.

Oh, and parents
 if your kid is on a waitlist, make sure they check their email every single day and have their phone ringer turned on, or that they at least know to check messages.

14 Likes

Basically, a student is more likely to be admitted from the waitlist if the college has an underyield of students with similar characteristics that the college cares about.

That also means that, even if the college underyields overall, if it has an overyield of students with similar characteristics as your student, your student is less likely to be admitted from the waitlist.

5 Likes

And make sure kids are ready to talk to AO. I understand Vandy actually asks - if we give you an offer will you say yes? Best to say yes because otherwise, I’m guessing no offer. They still give you a few days to decide. Not sure if other schools flat out ask you if you’ll accept before they give you an offer.

4 Likes

I think my son was asked “are you still interested?” A no stops the process. A yes gave him 3 days to turn around paperwork (and reconsider.)

So yes, you need to be prepared but you will have about 72 hours to consider whether this is your final answer.

2 Likes

This is why we are zeroing in on ED; it feels like it’s the only way to stand out amongst thousands and thousands of applications and say: yes you absolutely are my first choice and I will come if you accept me!!!

Especially for an unhooked, “average excellent” kid.

6 Likes

*Just wanted to say thank you to all the parents on this 2022 board; as a parent of a 2023 kid, reading your posts throughout this year has been so helpful.

Best wishes to your families and your students as they graduate this spring!

17 Likes

Yes. But be mindful that many LACs do not admit many unhooked average, excellent kids during ED. If you do the math, those ED slots primarily go to recruited athletes, Questbridge and similar programs, URMs, legacies, etc. There are not many unhooked students who get in ED at LACs. Its just a numbers issue. I think there is more room at the larger universities for unhooked students during ED. That is something we didn’t understand when we first looked at ED for LACs. So I hope it helps you.

6 Likes

Agreed; I’m wondering though, for Div III schools that do not grant any athletic scholarships but do have “recruited athletes” - do all of those apply ED?

(I don’t know the answer to this and I’m thinking I should anonymously call the admissions office!)

Many, but not all, of the recruited athletes do apply ED at the D3 schools
.that’s often the ‘quid’ for full coach support thru the admissions process. There are roughly 75 or so of these fully supported recruits at the NESCAC schools, for example.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the answer is yes. There was a recruited athlete thread who had been debating between MIT and Harvey Mudd. Despite no scholarship money available, the athlete was expected to apply ED to get the coach’s support.

3 Likes

Help me with the math?

So in this example, lets say a school has 60 recruited athletes and you look at their CDS and see that on average 200 kids apply ED, and 140 are accepted ED.

So around 200 EDs, subtract the athletes; we are thinking 80 of those ED kids are not athletes. And if you remove the athletes from the equation, then would we say that 80 ED kids were admitted out of 140 applicants
for around a 57% acceptance rate?

(Which is obviously not nearly as high as the 70% acceptance rate if we look at 140/200 ED).