College Waitlists in 2022 -- possibilities or pipedreams?

Some CC posters said they got off the Lehigh waitlist.

2 Likes

friend got admitted to Barnard off WL yesterday

9 Likes

Was this an offer of acceptance or the email everybody on the waitlist received 2 or 3 days ago asking if they still wanted to remain on the waitlist? Vanderbilt is known to send these out at the end of April to remove people from the waitlist who are no longer interested or who may have already accepted an offer somewhere that they intend to stick with. An offer would come with 72 hours to accept the offer. May 1st was the deadline for acceptance of spot on waitlist because they intend to go to the waitlist beginning around May 2nd.

1 Like

Actually I am surprised that many schools have waitlist movement already. Then again, I am a first timer with D22. I just assumed most schools would wait until after the commitment deadline. Is it total chaos on CC the first week of May with kids coming off the WL’s and having to decide whether to switch gears?

There was a theory that some places under-accepted, to be able to better balance their class by pulling kids off the WL. And, if they wait until May 1, some of the kids on their WL will have become happy enough with their acceptances that they decline an offer (particularly, one would think, the good adaptable ones that will be a pleasure to have on campus). So, if places did, in fact, under-accept, and their yield trend was showing holes, I would have expected them to go to the WL earlier than May, which they did.

I don’t think it’ll be chaos, per se. Not that many kids get in off of WL at most places.

1 Like

On the flip side, Purdue had to add more freshman honors sections because more students committed than anticipated. As such, I doubt there will be much wait list action.

Edited to clarify, they are adding more sections for Fall of '22. And yes, that will be the second year in a row of underestimating yield.

5 Likes

They had to add more sections in September of 2021? Or they will have to add more sections in September of 2022?

September of 2022.

He has an offer of acceptance. They first e-mailed him to ask if he wanted to receive an offer and then the actual offer came pretty much right after he clicked yes. Because it came before the May 1 national response date, he has until that date to accept. He got the offer on Friday and preliminary FA info first thing Monday morning. Again, no one should extrapolate from that about waitlist movement in the other Vandy undergraduate schools; the music school is only about 200 students, so putting the class together there is a whole different thing (he was told that they’re only taking 2 students next year on his instrument, for example).

7 Likes

Just wanted to make sure because it sounded like the wording of the other message. But in that case: Congratulations to your son!!!

2 Likes

Guess they’ll be housing kids in groups of ten again. I know your D is older but this has to be affecting class size and/or availability of classes! I can’t believe it happened again.

1 Like

Pulling students off waitlists before May 1st is not new or unusual. I remember happening with my oldest, years ago and well before covid. Schools monitor the number of commitments and also who declines and they can predict yield. At least they try. Easier to get a few more students before May. I think the most movement I have seen was in 2020 with deferrals and less international students. But even then some of the most coveted schools decided intentionally to have smaller classes and did not use waitlist as heavily as predicted. Being in the waitlist of some schools is more promising than others. I remember looking into it in 2020 and even then the pattern wasn’t that much different than usual. I remember friend’s kids being waitlisted at Dartmouth, Harvard and MIT and hoping for a different outcome due to covid and still those schools did not pull many or any from the lists. Other schools though did. I think schools like Tufts, some top LACs had a good movement. Of course this year is also a bit different with the increase of apps. For private schools, I would assume the schools bellow the “top” might have more movement.

4 Likes

Purdue totally changed their housing model for this year’s incoming class with freshman getting priority. If anything, I’d expect some upperclassman to be displaced to apartments, which honestly are nice and in some cases, closer to academic buildings than some of the dorms.

Based on the number of sections added, I’d say they probably have an extra 400 students total over projected. Not too terrible for a class of 10K.

To date, Purdue has done a really good job of hiring more professors, adding classes, sections, etc

To your point though, I think it’s probably time for them to look at their yield prediction models. They’ve been “off” now for many cycles. My D’s freshman class was overenrolled by 800.

2 Likes

Perdue is a phenomenal deal. The price for OOS is very competitive. I’m not surprised their yield is trending higher.

2 Likes

2020 was definitely the year of the waitlist (due to Covid) with lots of WL movement all the way through August.

An example I know of first hand:
My friend’s son was undecided going into the last week of April. He and his parents wanted him to have as normal a college experience as possible given the circumstances instead of paying big $$ for Zoom University.

Ultimately they put down a deposit at two colleges right before May 1 (something that’s definitely frowned upon and is ethically dubious - but they felt given all the uncertainties it was in their best interest to do this).

And then, on the Monday right after May 1 (3 days later) he got taken off a WL at one of his top choice schools and decided to enroll there - paying a 3rd deposit and losing the first two. He spent his summer prepping to go there, made good friends with other incoming freshmen, selected a roommate, etc. Then just before mid-August he was offered a spot at his #1 choice school and decided to enroll there. Deposit #4!

Anyway, he’s been happy there and has no regrets.

10 Likes

what major was she?

One of my kids went through 3 deposits years ago. It does happen. Deposit one before May 1st, lost that when he got off a wait list in early May, then lost that deposit too when he got off another wait-list in early June. We lost $800 in deposits from the first two schools but it was worth it. He ended up at the school he had initially ED’ed at (and was deferred from, then waitlisted from ). It was a long wait though, staying on two waitlists. Good luck to those still waiting!

9 Likes

I agree but they need to decide how big they want their classes and plan accordingly. Seems a little willy nilly and then they scramble to get sections and housing!

Let’s get back to college waitlists here. Feel free to start a detailed conversation about over-enrollment at Purdue on the Purdue page.

7 Likes

not sure, sorry. if I find out, I will post again.