Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

This is the consequence of closely following the pandemic in real time. Many things can change, even after the school year begins. I’m a bit skeptical that schools are handing out exemptions like candy, because that would defeat the purpose of having a vaccine mandate. Seems like a recipe for disaster. However, it’s possible that all the schools that jumped on the mandate early-on needed to backtrack somewhat but pivoted too far in the other direction. When will they learn? It’s a pandemic. “Wait and See” should be the rule, and patience the applicable virtue.

1 Like

Yes, I understand most colleges provide a religious exemption. But I haven’t heard any exemption, separate from the religious one, that is based on “conscience”.

Yes…good points.

Agree. This was an explanation of “category” not a statement as to which institution might have granted it.

1 Like

Ha! I don’t think it’s unfortunate. Download your vaccine card or no class. I’m all over that.

4 Likes

And so it begins…like I said a few weeks ago…this is a fluid situation and it will keep changing. No one can really predict.

2 Likes

Would you be so kind as to paste one of these letters, along with the petition and the reasons stated for it? Blocking out student names, of course.

Not familiar with that school - can you please provide the full name?

Yep!!! We just want a normal college experience!!!

Villanova

1 Like

I mean they shouldn’t have to yank classes but clearly the students weren’t all complying and submitting proof. This is my concern with Colgate’s approach. Domestics shouldn’t be able to arrive without a vaccine or exemption. There are always going to be those few people who don’t follow the rules…. Good news is Delta load comes on more quickly - 3 days - and more fully so the rapid tests they are doing should pay off. Wonder where they go though if it’s positive?

1 Like

I won’t paste from someone else but it goes something like this:

Due to the vaccines being tested on fetal lines (aborted fetal cells) I think from the 1980’s …not sure on that part…etc etc and abortion is an extreme sin against the catholic church…I john doe am a practicing catholic and this goes against my religious beliefs.

The student writes a letter, gets it signed by his parish priest and that’s it…it’s pretty simple

1 Like

They also fill out a short form from school and attach the letter

even better…kids parents are getting online attorneys for exemption…this is crazy!!
I’m not sure who they used but I did a simple google search

Talk about a roommate nobody wants.

7 Likes

It’s crazy out there!!

1 Like

This is very strange that administrations are accepting these letters, since the leadership of the Catholic Church has said the vaccines are fine, morally acceptable, approved, etc. It would be very easy for all the Catholic schools (like BC) to say no to those exemptions, with cover from Catholic leadership. As it should also be easy for administrations from secular schools that allow religious exemptions to deny exemptions to Catholics. If it’s true that Villanova and others are readily allowing exemptions due to Catholic beliefs despite the Catholic Church blessing the vaccines, it almost seems like Villanova doesn’t really want to have a mandate. So why put in a mandate at all?

3 Likes

there is isolation housing at Colgate. Right now vaccinated students do not test.

1 Like

Yes I’m sure they have a good plan if you flunk the test on arrival.

I would be okay with this because, according to the article, masks will still not be required in student dorms. Amherst is still mandating masks for vaccinated people in buildings, including dorms (but this may change for fall; because students weren’t required to be vaccinated for summer, but they are for fall).

The problem is there are groups of Bishops who came out against the vaccine due to the fetal cell link. These Bishops helped give credence to these exemption requests.

On another note the smallest groups of vaccinated are amongst evangelicals. (not sure why)

I am in NO way putting down catholics…I am catholic too.

1 Like