Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

I’m confused as to how just requiring masking indoors solves the problem? Sure - if you’re outdoors, standing 6 feet apart and there’s a wind blowing away from you, transmission may be unlikely - but I don’t see how this works for college students. Even outside, they are gathered in tight groups, laughing, talking, coughing, sneezing - AND sitting in tightly-packed football stadiums, cheering. How does that not become a super-spreader event? Especially given that even vaccinated people are getting the delta variant?

I agree that the handling of this has been horribly bungled, starting in January 2020, and continues to be horribly bungled today. The messages don’t coincide - the media predicting doom 24/7, mixed-messages from federal, state & local government, millions of people traveling the globe this summer as if nothing is amiss…it’s hard to know how to feel. I spend one day reading something that makes me anxious, and they next day seeing multiple friends vacationing on social media - and that makes me feel like some things are normal (or why would they be in Italy?)

It’s confusing and hard to see a path forward. If the delta variant is indeed relatively mild for the vaccinated, at what point do we give them (us) the blessing to live their lives?

1 Like

My best friend’s BIL is currently on a vent thanks to Delta. He already had Covid once before so natural immunity didn’t help him. Neighbor’s friends all just got Covid, all have been fully vaccinated with Pfizer since April, dad is hospitalized and the rest of the family are really sick.

I know this isn’t data and just personal anecdotes, but it still gives me a lot of pause in terms of my own behavior in public spaces. Too much is still unknown about Covid for me to assert that we can predict what school will look like in the Fall. Personally I think the old “normal” is not coming back for a long time, if ever, unless the federal government decides to mandate the vaccine for all and starts restricting movement to/from hot spots.

I think we’d be better served with less hand wringing about mask wearing and college precautions and more focus on helping our kids be more adaptable and resilient. Even if the “worst” happens and colleges move to online learning again, it’s not the end of the world, and that should be the messaging we are giving our children.

8 Likes

Did the hospitalized Dad have any other comorbidities.

Does that mean the schools will have to be hybrid (since distancing requirements mean some schools can’t physically fit all kids in classrooms, lunchrooms, etc.)?

This is 100% how I feel. Hope for the best, expect it isn’t going to actually be so, and deal with it.

I’m sorry about your friends. :frowning:

I just don’t hear anyone - no scientist, no immunology expert - being as negative as some posters here. I understand that people can get worried.

As for college, there’s a way to make the best decisions given the situation. Maybe some kids do need to start investigating gap year options even though it’s late in the game. See if their colleges are still taking those requests. That’s not being un-adaptable (ha I don’t think that’s a word, but you know what I mean), it’s making a conscious decision to find something else meaningful for the year. S19’s decision to gap last fall ended up being the best decision ever and his internship that fall was likely what led to NASA hiring him this summer. It’s just good to have the most accurate information about how campuses will be this fall so that good decisions can be made.

I can’t imagine puling either of our kids from school this fall since they are starting so soon, but neither are afraid to take a break. If our family thought this school year was going to go completely down the toilet, we’d be discussing gap years (or at least semesters) but I do not think their schools are going to look too bad this fall. Worst case seems like it will be masking in class.

2 Likes

Nope.

They are saying it will all be in person. My D never went to school here so I’m not sure how the buildings are in terms of space.

I guess my point is that students don’t have to just deal with it. I understand that many kids don’t have choices and going to college is going to be their best option no matter what class looks like. But there are other students who can take control of their personal situation and take a break if they do not want their college experience to look like this.

1 Like

As soon as your tuition payment clears you’ll find out the real school policies concerning Covid. Colleges and universities can’t afford another gap-a-palooza.

5 Likes

Some kids have more grit than others.

If you want to see more anxiety and fear from those who feel that their vaccinations are no longer good against the virus, you can read this thread:

If such anxiety and fear is widespread, including among college administrations, etc., then that may be reflected in increased COVID-19 limits at colleges.

This. And many many people are not being tested, because they don’t want to have to quarantine if positive. And the people who use at-home tests don’t have to report to anyone if the result is positive. What I would like to know is the frequency of long covid in breakthrough cases.

2 Likes

I agree with this. People have a choice how to spend their time and money. This year there will ample opportunities for students who want to Gap. I understand people not wanting to pay for remote instruction, especially when taught by people completely inexperienced in that mode of instruction.

This has nothing to do with a person’s inherent resilience or grit, or whatever similar term you want to apply. It’s offensive to me that some posters infer those who choose not to accept remote instruction as lacking resilience, or somehow their parents didn’t teach that to their kids.

Some people don’t learn well remotely, some are struggling with mental health due to the pandemic, while others choose to spend their time and/or money in other ways. Why can’t people accept what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another?

8 Likes

Sorry? Is taking a gap semester for a great internship option not having grit? I say the opposite. It was very difficult to make that decision back in July 2020 when many of his friends were not gapping and we did not know in advance how that internship would turn out. He took a leap of faith and it worked out. Being gritty does not mean you just go to school and take what you get. It’s taking control of your own situation and doing what’s best for you.

7 Likes

Hopefully colleges aren’t making policy based on their anxiety and are looking to the experts for guidance.

1 Like

A crowded college football game with all spectators vaccinated cannot become a superspreader event because the chances of vaccinated people getting and spreading Covid is ‘very low’. ( very low is what CDC says)
Offices pushing back return to work is a different situation because many businesses are hesitant to make vaccine mandates and they need to be somewhat concerned for employees with young unvaccinated children or compromised people at home. A fully vaccinated college campus is a different story altogether

3 Likes

Meanwhile, on a different yet crazy note, take a look at this video if you haven’t seen it already. It’s gone viral. Purdue “dorms”.

https://twitter.com/jordancamrynn/status/1421269930658471942

1 Like

I had seen that, that is truly unbelievable. If that’s a real option, I sure hope people don’t have to pay for that…I guess this is for some of the ‘lucky’ 7,500 of 10K incoming frosh who they do have room on campus for (the other 2,500, selected randomly, have to find off campus housing). Not a good look for Purdue…why not rent a hotel like VA Tech did a few years ago when they had this over enrollment problem?

2 Likes

From what I have read, vaccination, good quality masks worn properly, and robust ventilation or air purification systems are most essential. Distancing somewhat less so. My hope is that the first three prove to be enough on college campuses to prevent a mass return to Zoomland. I feel for the younger kids who cannot get vaccinated and are at risk from breakthrough infections. Their schooling for the fall seems much more tenuous.

My workplace now requires both vaccination and indoor masking. If that means that I’m providing an extra layer of protection for a coworker who does not want to bring breakthrough COVID home to his or her young children, I will do it gladly.

1 Like

This is a public service announcement for all, especially those over 65, and/or at risk for severe Covid:

Not only do we have very effective vaccines which make the vaccinated around three times less likely to get Covid, we also have monoclonal antibodies in case of breakthrough infection. They should be given during the first ten days after exposure (the earlier the better).

Monoclonal antibody therapy cuts the risk of hospitalization by 70% to 80%. It’s a one time, outpatient, IV infusion and it doesn’t matter whether you’ve been vaccinated or not.

So, IMO, all at risk people, regardless of vaccination status, should have a two step plan:

1. Where and how to get tested if they have an exposure to Covid or develop symptoms.
  2. Where and how to access monoclonal antibody therapy if they test positive. Ask your doctor if they are prescribing it, and if they would get access for you if you tested positive. If you don’t have a doctor or if your doctor says no, check out this website for how to gain access:
    COVID-19 Treatments | HHS/ASPR

Maybe I am more able to be positive about the future because I see the evidence that vaccination cuts infection and transmission, and I also have a back up plan for vulnerable loved ones. Monoclonals work, and they have been tweaked to cover variants.

Edited to add that the FDA has approved monoclonals as a preventive therapy for at-risk individuals with an exposure. If you have an exposure, you do not need to wait for a positive test.
https://www.empr.com/home/news/fda-authorizes-use-of-covid-19-antibody-therapy-for-postexposure-prophylaxis/

8 Likes