Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

UCLA says that those with exemptions will only be allowed to live in off-campus University apartments (if available), not in on-campus dorms.

4 Likes

I wonder if prior vaccination would invalidate the claim?

Also, so far, it seems the courts aren’t supporting plaintiffs who don’t want to get vaccinated: students of the university of Indiana and the employees of the hospital in Houston come to mind.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I believe I am now prohibited from responding as my last response was flagged. Sorry.

2 Likes

This is probably true, but Bennty’s concern also included contracting it asymptomatically and then exhibiting symptoms of long-Covid later on. As has been pointed out, this can happen to anybody (and IMO makes the problem too speculative to think much about) but for those who are worried, I’d still recommend getting screened for things that match your symptoms are more established auto-immune conditions. UPDATE: sorry - misread your post originally. I think we are in complete agreement.

Most of the time these diagnoses are backed into by ruling other things out. Anyone can have a long-term auto-immune condition triggered by a virus - anyone. It happens all the time to people (though perhaps more frequently now given the prevalence of this particular virus).

3 Likes

Looks like UF’s policy is here: https://coronavirus.ufhealth.org/screen-test-protect-2/information-for/students/student-isolation-and-self-quarantine/

Make things easier on yourself. Your discussing something not relevant to this thread but interesting to many. So, why don’t you just start a new thread under that title? Then people interested in this topic can join that discussion.

8 Likes

Why this approach toward @Catcherinthetoast ?? If you look through the thread - there are tons of “off topic” posts. Are they truly off topic? @Catcherinthetoast has legit questions and has a right to ask.

Thank you luckjade2024 but the question isn’t mine. It was really to ensure bennty was properly advised and informed.

My only involvement in the thread was responding to Roycroftmom’s statement below and trying to ensure it included the EEOC exemptions:

“I do not know what your long term risk of covid is from teaching in person this year, but I am certain that your immediate risk of being terminated for cause is quite high. Good luck with your plans and alternatives.”

I had thought a post telling someone “your likelihood of being terminated for cause is quite high” (although off topic) seemed worthy of greater scrutiny. My mistake.

It is not my fight to fight and the tribe has spoken.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem off topic at all.

Because the mod was giving him a strong hint. Just trying to be helpful. This whole thread is off topic it seems
 Lol
 Never said his question wasn’t legit but also keeping the original theme to certain threads is hard. Everyone including myself somehow becomes a covid expert
 Lots of bad information being talked about. It’s obvious that all of this is a moving target with many fluctuations. But we will all know soon enough. Also there becomes a time in many threads to take the conversations elsewhere. It actually helps in going deeper into those discussions that just might not be completely relevant here. Lots and lots of new threads are made this way on CC

5 Likes

I thought this was interesting. One of my kid’s schools is posting monitors to control classroom access to ensure only registered students and no possibly unvaccinated visitors enter the lecture halls. The concern is that student tour groups/applicants sometimes try to sit in.

2 Likes

Oh, wow – just catching up, and glad he’s all right.

Two friends have caught it in the last two weeks – one vaccinated, the other not. I’m not all that surprised given the early anecdotal popping on science twitter from other parts of the world. We do have quarantine/isolation space here, so if D gets it, unless her dad wants to take the risk, I’ll tell her to use it. She’s got a pulse ox and thermometer with her just in case, and I’m 15 minutes away.

Cripes. I made the mistake of listening to Osterholm’s podcast for the first time in months – every time I write one of these “danger danger” posts I’m perfectly happy to be OTT neurotic and wrong, and then along comes this infectious-disease guy who’s had a pretty good track record so far and says nope, you could even take it further. Poor guy sounded absolutely terrified for his grandchildren, and you can hear in his voice that the whole thing, including all the yelling and criticism he fields, is just wearing him down to bits.

2 Likes

Oh, if this is for me, CITT, thanks – I don’t see roycroftmom’s posts. In any case, not to worry, I’m not going to be terminated for refusing to teach in-person. For continuous mouthing off to upper admin, maybe, but so far, no. Even if it were possible given the teaching arrangement, supervisory staff and fac seem to be on-board with the whole “let’s not do this” thing, and my boss has just given thumbs up to moving our coffee tomorrow from an outdoor cafe where the returning unmasked will be legion to a low-traffic non-cafe outdoor spot. I’d like it if she didn’t catch this, either.

Anyway, thanks again.

1 Like

Wow, that’s
not going to go well. Just
wow.

The dysfunction in the upper reaches of academia’s really turning into something else. I mean my strong suspicion here is that the money that showed up a couple of decades ago has just made some of these jobs impossible to do, so that even when someone who is actually capable of doing the job accidentally gets in, their hands are tied. But the number of unforced errors lately
wow.

Not sure where to put this since it says colleges, but our K12 district (6000 students) had 8 positive cases last week. None last week were in H’s school, but this morning they were notified of 1 confirmed case and another probable case in his K5 school. H does drop-off/pick-up duty and teaches PE, so he sees everyone. And so it begins
 I sure hope his vaccine holds up.

2 Likes

Many parents and students don’t want masks required indoors. I know of a private university facing significant pushback for requiring masks indoors even though the county requires it.

I suppose people that highly prefer a cautious approach won’t leave if their college doesn’t require masks. Therefore, it doesn’t pay for a university admin to be strict. And finances seem to dictate that they don’t reserve dorm rooms for Covid patients this year. Looking at you UF.

One creative large school district mandated masks, but designated one elementary school as a mask-free option for parents interested in that. Parents had to provide their own transportation to that school if interested.

1 Like

Sometimes it feels like we’re living in two separate countries

11 Likes

Will be interesting to see how that works if and when kids get sick. I would anticipate there would be a significant “flight” from the maskless school if Covid cases emerge.

Obviously the school won’t be able to plan for all outcomes and or accommodate movement between masked and unmasked, move personnel or integrate kids that have been exposed.

While I admire the creativity and desire to offer an option that serves all people in the community, unfortunately I suspect this will end badly.

Not sure for this particular district, but districts in general may be able to impose restrictions on transfer just based on numbers of teachers assigned to each option. Or it can go one-way; you can switch back to your home elementary school (the one your neighborhood is assigned to) but can’t go back to maskless later on. Those are just two ways that districts can put reasonable controls on the flow. Depending on state health orders, districts may even be able to prohibit switching at all among the already enrolled, the reason being that the maskless option needs a strict cap and the masked option needs room to allow the occasional new kid to show up. Our district is prohibiting any switching between its Remote Academy vs. in-person school this year. You enroll in one or the other and that’s your school this year.

2 Likes