Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Biden also announced that the US will have enough vaccines for every adult american by the end of May which is a timeline moved up by 2 months. Awesome!! Our college kids should all be able to be vaccinated by the time they go off to school in August. Great news!

6 Likes

I hope that’s true! But I don’t see how it will be. Both our state and where my daughter is in college are still in the very first phase of eligibility, and my state said just this week that the second round of people may not begin until summer at all- at that’s only the second tier. I know Haverford said they’d applied to be a vaccination site for their county, but I never heard anything since.

Some, perhaps many, colleges have been approved to be vaccination sites to administer their own shots and they’re just waiting for allocation of vaccines. Different states may have different priorities, but I don’t expect PA to be an exception in prioritizing the higher education sector.

So far supply has been the biggest bottle neck. Hopefully, soon every major stadium in the country will be turned into 24 hour vaccination centres and the entire adult population gets covered before the end of summer.

5 Likes

Agree, but it is all over the news and as others have said, stadiums and mobile vaccine sites are going to be set up to help with this and if colleges can get their hands on them then our students can also easily get vaccinated. I hear from my kids which of their friends are easily able to get vaccines at their colleges so fingers crossed it is going to happen all over!

2 Likes

I was watching a lacrosse game on youtube, the announcer said of a player, “he’s a seventh year senior”. Oh my lord! It is possible between red shirt and covid year. Some of last year’s Ivy league seniors are playing in the ACC this year as grad transfers.

2 Likes

I was watching lacrosse games this weekend. There are a ton of grad student playing, and starting. Three from Yale’s men’s lax are at DU this year. In the women’s game I think there were 4 grad starters, two each for CU and DU, most from the east coast.

That means, of course, some younger players aren’t starting. I know some of the current seniors still have a year of eligibility for next year, so will head off to grad schools and displace younger players.

1 Like

Possibly! Penn lost the greatest women’s lacrosse player in Quaker history to Duke and two All-Ivy men’s lacrosse players to ND after their season was canceled was last year. Sadly, the Ivy League waiver came too late for those athletes.

Dartmouth College logged 119 cases of COVID-19 over the weekend, The Valley News reported.

Dean Kathryn Lively said in an email that the cases reflect a “rapid and significantly increased risk of transmission within our community.”

The college will revert to having students eat alone in their rooms and told them to remain on campus so as not to endanger residents of Hanover, N.H.

Yikes! The lockdown is harsh, but it doesn’t sound like Darmouth is being a very good neighbor. Does anyone know what their Covid protocols are?

I gather from some of my kid’s friends that there were rules that were being routinely ignored.

1 Like

Campus news:
https://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2021/03/covid-19-campus-updates

From the above: “Dartmouth’s total active cases now comprise roughly 6% of all identified active COVID-19 cases in New Hampshire.”

For comparison, Dartmouth undergraduates make up 0.3% of the state population, all Dartmouth students make up 0.5%, and all Dartmouth students plus staff make up 0.7%.

1 Like

Of course, whether everyone followed the rules is another story.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this information. Those statistics are alarming! What jumps out at me about Dartmouth’s campus plan is they are only doing “periodic surveillance testing.” I wonder how often that is. Dartmouth needs to do better. Honestly, any college that brought students back to campus has a responsibility to the greater community to mitigate spread of the virus.

4 Likes

I am sure rules are being ignored. My Notre Dame son says the same thing. They are all going through rule and restriction fatigue. Just wait until “love is in the air” Spring.

Yes, but who pays for the extra year of school? Ivys don’t have sports scholarships. FWIW, I had kind of been hoping (or should I say dreaming) that the colleges would let our kids attend an extra semester for free, since we’ve been sucking it up and continuing with this half-experience at regular prices.

3 Likes

True, but it’s an opportunity for kids who were already planning on grad school to keep playing their sport. Of course, they have to be admitted to grad school at their current college which is competitive and not guaranteed. I agree that an additional free semester would be nice.

1 Like

I mentioned that as well to some athlete parents in our ivy parent page and they said it’s a useless rule because the coaches don’t want to hold spots open for 5th year seniors that can go to freshman for a variety of reasons. Some being that once the 5th years graduate they will not then have soph spots, if they hold spots for those 5th years then they can’t offer spots to freshmen who are usually faster, younger, etc and if you stay a 5th year it’s another year a parent has to pay $70-80k for college all in since there are no scholarships in the Ivy League for sports so they don’t want to pay that so no one wants to stay for a 5th year. Bummer since I thought it was a great idea too.

2 Likes

The coaches have cut the number of spots for freshmen in most sports to keep their best seniors one more season.

I don’t think this is that common, so I’m not ready to say this is happening in ‘most sports’ at the Ivies. Some coaches might be limiting frosh, but others aren’t. A number of Ivy basketball teams are bringing in the same number of freshman (2021s) they always would, including some highly touted players. Another example, a young woman I know at Stanford (I know, not an Ivy) is considering playing her 5th year, and has been accepted to a master’s program there. Coach basically said “you can stay but aren’t going to get much playing time because the incoming 18 year olds are better than you (23 year old).”

Covid or not, coaches are still under pressure to build good teams and win.

2 Likes