Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

I think it really depends on location more than covid outbreaks or lack thereof. I do not expect the NE to be back to normal in the fall. Texas never really left normal

1 Like

Interesting news that “On Monday, the state (CA) will begin transitioning to a new vaccine distribution system overseen by health insurer Blue Shield, which officials say will create more consistency among counties.” I heard this on the radio today too, hope this helps with our distribution.

2 Likes

You mean this?

That may not matter as much as whether the supply of vaccines catches up to the number of people who want them. As long as there are shortages, people will be complaining about problems getting vaccine or someone else is jumping the queue or should not be given higher priority.

1 Like

Yes, it’s been in the news today.

Lots of teachers in my area got vaccinated last week, so it seems like vaccine distribution is better than several weeks ago.

Alabama says full capacity football games in the fall too. Along with all in person classrooms with no restrictions.

3 Likes

Phase 2 which includes most students and others age 16 and up expected to begin in Chicago on May 31. That coincides right with the start of finals week for UChicago (the university is a vaccine site). Most of the undergrads, including graduating seniors, wouldn’t be around for the 2nd dose. My D will be doing K-12 teacher training after she graduates and will hopefully be hired by this spring for the fall so I’m sure it’ll all work out. Teachers in her district are eligible for and are receiving the vaccine but schools aren’t open yet and next year’s calendar doesn’t seem to be up yet. That looks like a “wait and see.” S’s employer for summer internship is very flexible as to remote or in-person in DC (assuming that’s even allowed). Too early to decide that one either, but I’m sure he can get the vaccine in September before school starts. Kids are plenty busy as is living their lives around Covid and getting their business done. So are we. We’ll take our turns when it’s time.

UChicago has made no announcement as to a “mandated vaccine” in the fall. I suppose it’s possible that college students will need to comply with any IL state mandates, if those are imposed.

1 Like

We’re coming up on the date kids have to decide whether to attend college or which college, so it’s not a surprise that there are more and more colleges saying “all in person” for fall 2021. As we saw last fall, they can walk that back at anytime.

I think @homerdog is right to focus on activities instead of in person classes.

5 Likes

It appears the off campus activities are raging at CU Boulder.

1 Like

Maybe the student population should be one of the target groups for the one time Johnson and Johnson shot?

4 Likes

Maybe UC could prioritize students to receive the JNJ vaccine (only one shot). Also, depending on vaccine supply and proportion of residents choosing to receive vaccines, Illinois could move to Phase 2 before May 31.

2 Likes

Both excellent suggestions. As to timeline, this is totally dependent on the dept. of health; however, UChicago is indeed expecting 5/31 and are preparing students for that by making sure everyone has a chance to get a My Chart account, etc. It could be sooner, and I doubt it’ll be later as the university has been careful not to make any premature announcements regarding Covid policy or planning. The J&J would be an excellent opportunity for anyone planning to leave for the summer, including students, and can also help speed up the queue.

1 Like

Jinx ; )

Temple and Penn State are both planning for in person classes this fall. Although the article doesn’t say when sports and club activities will resume, some sports are currently being played in the Big Ten which bodes well for fall. A friend’s D plays for Indiana and they definitely had a season, albeit a shortened one.

1 Like

Schools are playing sports. The Ivies aren’t playing at all. My daughter’s school (Div 2) is only playing in conference so only traveling in Florida and no overnights are required (or allowed).

The PAC 12 only allows parents of players and coaches to attend, even outside games so that doesn’t up the activities for other students.

Many CU-Boulder students could be in the next group to be called up (1b.4). That group includes any faculty or staff that has face contact with students. It also includes restaurant workers, front line workers, Uber drivers, so any student who wants to move up on the priority just needs to get a job at the university , library or registrar’s office, food service, at a restaurant or bar.

I think the J&J will be sent to rural counties, used at jails and prisons, for homeless populations. College kids are capable of getting two shots if they really want them. At CU they are bribing them with electronics and gift cards if they come in for testing so they could do something similar for vaccinations (or just tell them that it is the adult thing to do)

Sadly, no. However, I was pleased to see the Ivy League waiver to allow current seniors to play next year as grad students. It was devastating last year for seniors to have their seasons canceled and their athletic careers come to an abrupt end.

2 Likes

In Illinois JNJ is being sent to low income and minority areas which I think is fantastic. This segment of the population is already at risk and trying to get them back for a second dose is difficult, plus they can have mobile vaccine sites for them making it a little easier for access.

As for college students, I have seen a myriad of ways that each of my daughters colleges have offered the vaccine to students that many have already been able to get them. What would be great though is if schools had vaccine clinics for their students and ramped that up for them before they ended this semester for anyone who hasn’t gotten one before the end of the year.

1 Like

It seems like a lot of colleges have requested to be vaccine centers and are preparing in case they get approved. I know both Richmond and Bowdoin are in this group. For Bowdoin, kids don’t leave campus until the very end of May and the college would love to get shots in arms before they leave but it will all be about if that age bracket is being vaccinated in Maine by then.

We receive regular updates from Cornell so I’m hoping they will have access. My daughter there has many friends who have already received it, but at least there I feel she is safe. The problem is she’s going to Israel for an internship this summer and I’m assuming they will require it or make her quarantine and/or get it there, which is fine too, but better if she can get it here and not require a quarantine, assuming they let them in which is still being negotiated.

That would leave only my husband and youngest not vaccinated of my immediate family. We’ve been fortunate in that we have not contracted the virus and the closest relatives are a first cousin who had a bad case and some second cousins. But we know people who have died and many friends with it. People have made too many sacrifices and it would be nice to get to the finish line for everyone. We aren’t there yet! Maine is so small that it would be great if your kid could get it before leaving.

The president just announced that every k-12 school employee will be entitled to at least one vaccine dose by the end of March.

6 Likes

If vaccine supply allows fulfillment of this promise, that means that full vaccination of K-12 school employees who want it will occur by mid-May (based on the worst case being longest time period for the two-dose vaccines plus post-second-dose time to full effectiveness).