Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

In NC, they are now vaccinating folks that work with kids, in restaurants and many other industries. I know of MANY that are scheduling appointments and doing a bit more than stretching the truth re their employment.

I know we did a poor job of getting shots in arms initially here so at this point am glad they are doing better and do not mind that folks are doing what it takes to get their shots.

3 Likes

Elon not only informed its student workers to go get vaccines and provided the appointment link, they wrote to parents asking them to remind their kids to sign up. Everyone in my kid’s office is over 55, so they were eager for her to be vaccinated too.

1 Like

After what was happening in Wisconsin the last few months and at UW early this school year, it’s great to see they’re doing that much testing and if I were one to guess, I would definitely think there is some herd immunity going on there. It seems like if one were to take a look at schools that had a high number of cases reported or not, those are the ones that are seeing few cases now. Kudos to UW for at least having a plan of testing when so many are still doing squat.

Gotcha. My daughter ‘works’ in a lab but since she’s not on work study, she actually volunteers so perhaps that is the distinction. Four of her five classes are in person. Profs and essential workers, yes, have been vaccinated. She knows only a couple undergrads who have received the vaccine
even some of her friends who work with sports teams who are eligible have had difficulty getting appointments and are not vaccinated yet.

Colorado divided the 1b group into 4 smaller groups. University faculty and staff (anyone with contact with the students, so all food workers, dorm workers, library, etc) are in 1b4, which starts on March 21. There was an article in the paper today saying CU was starting a registration.

I think they will quickly get to those students. They only started 1B3 group on Friday and there were already big ads in the paper today saying there were vaccines available and to register. I also got a text (general one) on Friday. The 1B3 group has about 1 Million people in it, with 5 big groups and it is possible (probable) that people can be in more than one group and thus counted twice. They could also have been in a prior group, such as a 60 year old who is a school teacher would have already been eligible with the teachers in the prior group.

Anyway, student still need to qualify by being a grocery store worker, a restaurant worker, staff at the university, but if they are they can get the vaccine soon. If not, they’ll be in the next few groups, and will get the vaccine by May.

What school?

Duke.

CDC just announced new guidelines for those vaccinated and it is a huge gamechanger. If colleges can get their students vaccinated and/or mandate it they can all open in the fall. This is great news.

11 Likes

Our midwest flagship just notified faculty that come fall it’s back to the old rules if you wish to switch your modality from what it normally is (ie you have to petition, etc.). This year all that was waived in order to accommodate de-densification and remote. Now, they haven’t made any public announcements that I know of (I heard this from an employee of the university system). But this is an early signal that at this point they are planning to return to “normal” (Edit: or “more normal”) in the fall.

4 Likes

Dont dorms count as “ non health- care congregate setting” though? They require 14 days quarantine if in contact with a suspected or confirmed case. That means that colleges will still have to provide an online component to all courses to ensure the students can continue studying.

I don’t know how various schools are handling it but I know where my daughter is, she knows someone who is vaccinated and did not have to go to the quarantine hotel. I don’t know if he lived in a dorm or off campus and if that makes a difference but regardless it is still a game changer. Ultimately if schools require vaccines as some may very well, they won’t need to have any remote option as this may very well fall into the same category as something like chicken pox or mono when kids will just need to figure things out, assuming cases are far and few between and kids who are vaccinated (since there are always exceptions) won’t need to be quarantined.

Even if a school does not require vaccination, but vaccine general availability has occurred before the start of the term, then it may still be that way, since any COVID-19 risk will then largely be voluntarily assumed by those who voluntarily refuse vaccine, rather than being an involuntary risk that the mere presence of someone else with an asymptomatic contagious infection can impose on someone.

However, those medically unable to get any of the vaccines but want to avoid getting COVID-19 will have a hard time, because everyone else is clamoring for a return to normal, but the voluntary vaccine refusers will probably be numerous enough to prevent herd immunity, at least for a while.

There is almost no one who is medically unable to get the vaccine. For those who have certain immune diseases, or are undergoing immunosuppressive therapy, the vaccine would not work properly to prompt their body to make antibodies. Luckily, they can receive the engineered antibodies (monoclonals, or antibody cocktails) every three months and be protected.

Therefore, it really is a personal choice to be unprotected.

2 Likes

Yeah that is all a concern as well as the variants. :frowning:
The news at least is reporting that vaccine hesitancy is way down so that is a positive. I’m hoping with the stimulus bill that if it passes the house tomorrow, that will also make way for more ability in getting people vaccinated. The key it seems to be now is not supply but people to administer it but the funding hopefully will help keep these facilities open 24 hours and hopefully get these people in around the clock.

Wow - Texas at 45% with at least one shot!? According to the LA Times, California is at 18%. I “Love” this state. ;-(

My 21 y/o DS at ASU has an appointment for his second shot this Friday. He qualified because he is an undergrad TA and therefore, a State employee.

2 Likes

As of March 8, CDC COVID Data Tracker shows the following:

State           % >= 1 dose     % 2 doses
                all     18+     all     18+
Texas           15.2%   20.3%    8.2%   11.0%
California      18.5%   23.9%    8.6%   11.1%

New Mexico      25.8%   33.2%   14.4%   18.6%
Georgia         13.3%   17.2%    8.5%   11.1%

New Mexico and Georgia appear to be the leader and laggard among US states for percentage of population with at least one dose.

@Outlander 's post above said that “a DSHS official stated that only 46% of Texans age 65 and older have received at least one shot” (emphasis added).

9 Likes

I am certain the terrible winter storm has effected Texas. I know it did in my neck of the state.

1 Like

California is 55% of the same age group (65+). Vaccines - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response
I’m sure the power outages slowed things down in TX and hopefully they can catch up.

54.8% is the percentage of vaccines given to 65+ year old people in California, not the percentage of 65+ year olds who have received vaccine, according to that web page.

That suggests that, out of the 18.5% of California people who have received at least one dose, 54.8% of them, or 10.1% of the overall population, is 65+ year old people who have received at least one dose. Since 65+ year old people are 14.8% of California’s population, that suggests that about 69% of them have received at least one dose.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I like that percentage better! Any thoughts on when and if CA might lower the age to 55+?