Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Based on the California COVID-19 web pages, it looks like California intends to get vaccine out to as much of each priority group as it can, including the low SES parts of each priority group who tend to be disadvantaged in competing in scarcity, before moving on to the next priority group. Also, vaccine refusal in California is likely to be lower than in most states (small population Marin County notwithstanding).

So expect slower progress through the priority groups, but better access (lower chance of being left behind) once the priority groups reach you.

1 Like

NESCAC will have abbreviated spring season IF enough schools decide to join.

4 Likes

According to my kid, there will be a spring season in the NESCAC. Three schools opted out, but the rest will compete!!!

6 Likes

@shuttlebus, my son is at a NESCAC school. Do you know which three schools opted out?

@123France Amherst, Bowdoin, and Middlebury.

2 Likes

@shuttlebus @123France Amherst just sent out a message: they did NOT opt out and WILL BE participating in the abbreviated season.

2 Likes

@RosePetal35 Maybe it is just my kid’s sport then? Great that other Amherst teams will be competing! (My kid is getting all info from coach at this point)

That’s not true. Bowdoin did not opt out. We just got a message from the president. They will compete with teams that have the same testing protocol, so Bates and Colby.

1 Like

So Bowdoin is competing with two schools in the conference but none of the other NESCAC schools?

Age 0-19 in Massachusetts is showing a large share of COVID-19 positive tests…

Not from the classroom, but from family gatherings, sports, etc…

From what I have heard about elementary school (often hybrid) reopenings, the classrooms are highly regulated and supervised (distanced seating, masks, open windows, etc.), and there are no free recess or lunch periods where elementary school kids are likely to share viruses (of any kind, as was typically the case before last year).

Correct. The rules for these three schools for all students is that they can’t leave Maine

Edited to add: it’s not a real conference season. Not all teams will be playing all teams. Each school decided who they would play.

2 Likes

Middlebury just released this statement:

The NESCAC presidents announced today that NESCAC conference play is scheduled to begin in mid-April with special COVID-19-related protocols in place. You can read the full announcement here: http://■■■■■■/middSpring21NESCACStatement.

While we will not be able to conduct athletics seasons as usual at Middlebury, we do plan to organize practices and limited competitive games with regional opponents.

NESCAC is currently developing schedules that are regional and limited in nature, and they will be released later in March.

Protocols for competition have been developed in consultation with the medical and COVID-19 operations teams, the NESCAC Athletic Directors, and Medical Aspect in Sports Committee, and these protocols adhere to or exceed state, CDC, and NCAA guidance.

While a full competitive schedule is not possible, it is exciting to consider the possibility for some limited competition later in the spring if conditions allow.

With this decision, we will be developing plans to provide the best possible experience for our spring student-athletes, while closely monitoring conditions and adapting our protocols as needed.

We are hopeful that as the winter weather subsides, we will have more opportunities to safely convene. Coaches will continue to keep their team members informed regarding any developments. They are the best resource for questions from student-athletes or their families.

1 Like

Looks like Northeastern is planning for a “normal” fall semester (but potentially with masks and testing)

1 Like

Interesting that when they split their age group data up all the other groups they are comparing to are only ten years while this age group is 0-19. That makes a big difference. It’s hard to get a fair comparison that way.

I’m also wondering how the amount of tests being done for this age group, and the others, are changing over time. Are they testing higher quantities more recently in this particular age group because of returning to school? If they are perhaps they’re capturing more asymptomatic infections that they missed before or are missing in other age ranges.

2 Likes

Penn will hold in-person commencement with no guests allowed (family and friends will have to watch online). Unfortunately, seniors who violated the campus compact will not be allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony.

Fall room selection is also underway. Freshman and sophomores are required to live on campus and Penn says there will be space for juniors and seniors too. According to my D, some professors are already saying that classes will be fully in person this fall.

4 Likes

Pitt’s case count has continued to hold steady with 19 active student cases. The latest round of surveillance testing had only one positive. The campus is moving to its lowest level of operational posture on Thursday which means that occupancy levels in buildings are being increased to that allowed by current PA state regulations, and all classes except very large lectures can meet in person, though it’s likely many will stay online as the profs get to decide.

They are sending out warnings about St. Patrick’s Day parties, reminding people of what happened in the fall with Halloween when there were lots of parties leading to a spike in cases.

1 Like

Williams announced it will allow student travel for participation in NESCAC events.

5 Likes

Yes - most elementary in MA have not had lunch periods and been very good about keeping distance and wearing masks. However, schools are just about to bring back more in-person learning and I hear from teacher friends that they are worried that they have been careful for so long and things might spike among this age group.

Article on the wastewater testing program at UNC Charlotte Wastewater and COVID-19 | Inside Higher Ed

1 Like

Trinity spring sport is on and on the schedule are NESCAC competitions vs Conn Coll and Wesleyan. Limited schedule thusfar.

2 Likes