Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

@bobo44 do you mean University of San Diego? If so, why did she choose it?

Yes, USD, couldn’t figure out how to go back to change it (not the first time I have flubbed the initials!). Admitted students’ day was what tipped the scale. The campus is gorgeous, weather fantastic, and the students just seem happy and relaxed. A friend’s nephew gave us an “insider’s tour” and the whole deal was irresistible! Honestly, I was wishing I could go there, too! I don’t think academics came into play at all. D18 had been admitted to 12/12 schools she applied to, and all would have been good for her academically. She is an athletic, musical, A- student. She got decent merit and financial aid (most of the schools came out with similar offers). She thought she wanted a Big Ten experience (UIUC, Indiana, UMinn, UIowa) after all her midwest visits, but USD was uniquely attractive. (Okay, it is like a resort!)

So bye-bye University of Iowa (perfect in many ways), bye-bye UIUC (instate), UDayton, St. Olaf, Denison, UDenver,etc. Hello USD. So far she is happy with her choice. Not perfect (so many liberal arts distribution requirements–they are SERIOUS about developing critical thinking and a well rounded education), but a chance to take a gym course in surfing? Very appealing. And very accessible and supportive faculty. So no regrets.

But don’t visit if you are reluctant to have your child go there! Just so appealing.

@bobo44 thanks for the detailed reply! We already took my son and my husband is an alum so USD will be a serious consideration for my son (high school junior). I expect him to get accepted based on his stats, but we will definitely not take that for granted.

Your quote:

“The campus is gorgeous, weather fantastic, and the students just seem happy and relaxed.”

Perfect summary and definitely what we experienced also. I just feel like if my son is happy, he will be a better student and get more out of the college experience.

We are from the east coast so it will be a big decision. And I think the east coast colleges are definitely more stressful! I know USD is well known in CA but not as much out here (some people think it’s UCSD, but it’s beginning to become more well known). But if he can afford to stay in San Diego after graduation, I wouldn’t blame him for staying.

Good luck to your daughter. Sounds like she made a great decision!

Monmouth University was a pleasant surprise. The location is amazing as it is a half mile from the beach and has housing options oceanfront. The campus is well manicured with a nice mix of old world charm and newer modern buildings and facilities. The on campus arena is brand new and houses D1 basketball games, concerts, student gym, indoor track. Many newer academic buildings with state of the art equipment/labs. There are numerous dining options thruout campus. It’s a Dunkin’ Donuts campus, lol. Asked numerous students about social scene as it’s a dry campus. Was assured by all “we are college kids”, plenty of bars, restaurants, clubs in area. Many upperclassman live off campus as there are hundreds of options in area, thus a robust social scene. 85% of first year students live on campus. Sophs live in apt style on campus units. The upper classmen live in school housing in beachfront apartments. Amazing location to say the least. Cars are allowed on campus from freshman year on. Seemed like an abundance of parking. 20+ sports teams all play on campus, 80+ clubs,10% of student body in Greek life. PNC arts center is 15 minutes away. NYC is 1 hour by car, 90 minutes by train ($32 r/t) 57% female to 43% male
MU is $52,000 per year tuition,fees housing. Merit aid ranges from 8-25k, AP classes with scores of 3 or higher get accepted, seemed easy to transfer credits in from other schools/community colleges. Large selection of summer/winter classes available. Seemed easy to double major or major/minor as there’s a minimal core required. Study abroad available to 10+ countries, including shorter summer option. Internship fairs and job fairs on campus Fall/Spring. Career services very active. Bruce Springsteen archives are housed on campus, strong music program, strong nursing, business school was certified, Bloomberg terminals, real estate school.
Acceptance rate is 70%, bulk of student body is from NJ, upstate NY, Long Island but 30 states represented.
Bottom line, Monmouth University has a great location, beautiful campus, 4500 student body, D1 sports, 85% white student body. It deserves a good look from B students with 1000-1200 SATs, is a serious safety school that I’m sure wouldn’t be a disappointment. Only thing we couldn’t figure out is the rigors of academics.

Actually, It was hard for D to find a college she really liked (always something she didn’t like). Big vs Small did not matter. Wanted school spirit, good alumni network, food options, lots of clubs.
Crossed off-
Ithaca - visited 2x- both times snowy and dreary. Tour guide said it was always mostly grey/rainy/snowy… dorms dated, not much school spirit, and small dining options. D liked the small town but was a bit of a hike to walk or need to take the bus. Waterfalls and lake were nice! Impressive film dept!
Indiana - D just didn’t like it- I did :). I enjoyed Bloomington , but was told that there is a shady part of town. It was a 10 hr drive so I was ok with it not being considered.
Northwestern - liked - beautiful on the lake and net Chicago -but distance became a factor.
Pitt- too urban- after visiting decided against city schools and had to take a bus to football games-

Allegheny- Great little college north of Pittsburgh, but a bit too remote and wasn’t thrilled with major options.
Kent State- just didn’t like - not a good vibe
Lock Haven decent size but not much to do- and decided no to state schools. Didn’t have great major options.

Decided to attend Penn State - sibling attends and another graduated - initially did not want to consider but after visiting a ton of other Schools realized that PSU was it! small walkable town, lots of sports, clubs, food options, majors, school spirit and a few hours from home.

My son really liked Northeastern when we visited. He liked walking places in Boston and he liked the buzz of the busy campus. The admitted students day was very well run. He paid close attention to the students who spoke about their coop and research experiences.

My son thought Reed was okay and later decided not to apply. He didn’t have any specific complaints so who knows. This was surprising to me. I thought he would really like Reed.

My D19 went to so many schools, but it wasn’t until she visited Colgate University in Hamilton, New York, that she said “this is my school.” Thankfully she got in and will attend in the fall.

1 Like

Congrats @AriBenSion! My best friend from high school went to Colgate and loved every minute of it.

What was it your daughter liked about it? I took my daughter over the summer and it was so dead it turned her off. But I imagine it’s completely different when school is in session.

Collegemomjam Colgate had a very exciting vibe. The kids couldn’t be more welcoming and they seemed excited to be there. We walked into one of the buildings and up and down the hall were professors sitting in offices meeting with individual students. Also the place is really beautiful with pristine new buildings everywhere. At 3,000 students it was the size my D19 wanted.

1 Like

Interesting to read that Brandeis went down for some people who disliked the campus. For my part, I was surprised (in a good way!) to see evidence of wear and less-than-immaculate upkeep. I had wondered how a smaller school could be ranked at an R1 level for research. If a tradeoff means that worn carpeting isn’t replaced but labs are well-equipped, I’m good with that. (My child liked the era and feel of the buildings, so that helps.)

And speaking of Colgate and its “vibe”, touring there (as the trailing sibling) sealed my D19’s aversion to LACs. because of what she perceived as an elitist and privileged feel. (I think it was mainly that she felt like it was a school populated by people for whom things generally came easily, which she interpreted very negatively.)

But it’s the point of this thread that what’s appealing to one gets interpreted negatively by another, right?

1 Like

The whole idea of young adults spending four years dedicated to learning and not having to work in the fields or in a mine is privileged. How lucky are our children to be able to do that!

1 Like

@Lynnski it wasn’t the upkeep of Brandeis that was a problem for my D, but the “feels like high school” vibe she got from it. She found it too small, and also kind of paternalistic (not in a patriarchy type of way, but she didn’t feel like the students got treated like adults. I don’t recall now specifically what was said that led her to that conclusion.)

1 Like

Interesting @SJ2727 I think that may be one of the reasons we liked Brandeis for our kid. Every student has 3 advisors, and for a smart kid who’s challenged with Executive Function, that was appealing. I can see how that same factor would be a turnoff for others. It’s true that we are incredibly fortunate to have such options!

None have moved off due to a poor visit, but UMass Amherst moved way up on the list after the visit. Great tour guide, son had a lot in common with him, gorgeous spring day on campus with all sorts of activities going on, excellent admissions presentation… We’re out of state (CT) and weren’t expecting much since my days growing up in MA and hearing about Zoo Mass. Very pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

This thread is great and giving me great ideas. I’m definitely going to check out Monmouth, being I live about 40 minutes from there…and I am going to try to see U Mass too as I know it’s popular and have heard great things.

I do think there is something very special about the LAC’s, although none of my kids were ever interested. But I think a school like Colgate, especially because it is in a somewhat isolated environment, can really be quite conducive to forming lifelong friendships and a super strong student community. I guess as long as you are happy and feel like you find your place, it could be the greatest environment of all. My son thinks the schools that are in the 3000 range are too small, but we disagree. We love Richmond for him but he thinks it’s too small. We shall see where he gets in next year and then go to accepted students days and see what he thinks.

I have a friend that doesn’t like schools that are too manicured…she felt this way about Wash U…thought it wasn’t “organic”…she prefers the slight “scuzziness” of a school like U Penn where you see the occasional cigarette butt. LOL.

It really comes down to personal preference in the end and I couldn’t agree more with you @AriBenSion about how lucky our kids are to have all of these amazing choices…privilege beyond most people’s wildest imagination.

@collegemomjam If you liked Richmond, but want a bigger school look at Elon and Wake Forest. Maybe Emory too.

I love this thread, learned so much about so many schools. Amazing how a college can have so many different points of views and opinions.
Feel like I’m on TripAdvisor reading reviews of places to travel to??

1 Like

Up: Bennington. I suggested it as almost a whim (my parents live less than an hour away) and DD spent the day, going to a class and lunch and a tour before an interview with admissions. Beautiful campus in southern Vermont. Kicker for both of us was the way the admissions staff (student interns in the office for their weekly meeting) opened up the circle to include me (as I was waiting for DD to be done) and then again physically moved chairs to involve DD and the admissions counselor when they came downstairs after the interview. No adult prompted the move. Very very inclusive and welcoming and interested.

Down: JMU (James Madison University). We’re in state. Far too large admissions tour groups with no sense of including everyone at all in the tour (guide got walking fast and talking to the 3 kids who kept pace). DD felt left out and unable to ask any questions at all. Not a good fit.

Too bad about JMU. We were there last week with D20. The session was packed but our tour group wasn’t too large and our tour guide was amazing - very engaging and really sold the school. My daughter loved it! Campus is beautiful and loved all the Mountain views. The only thing I didn’t like was the lack of diversity. I thought our high school wasn’t diverse, JMU was less so.